Texas Hunting Forum

CMP Garand question

Posted By: chickenpants

CMP Garand question - 01/06/16 05:41 PM

I will be stopping by CMP south store tomorrow and am looking to get a Garand. I have all my requirements meet just wondering what model I should get ? is there a quality or value difference in the HR version the Springfield? I am looking at either the Field grade or service grade

Posted By: Cast

Re: CMP Garand question - 01/06/16 05:56 PM

Just ask to see Gunny, if he's still there. A few years ago when I was there he was a great help.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: CMP Garand question - 01/06/16 06:08 PM

I have Field and Service grade Garands in Springfield and H&R, and once you get them home, stripped, cleaned, inspected and lubed correctly they shoot just the same. I'm a shooter more than a collector so I really can't speak as to which would be a better value or hold that value better. I do know Winchester mfg. Garands command a pretty penny (if you can find one). Some folks like the early serial numbered receiver specimens, and if you can find a low numbered one with matching mfg. parts I'd count that as a win. Since I like to shoot them, I look for low muzzle erosion (M.E.) and throat erosion (T.E.) numbers denoting less use or more recent rebuild status.

A CMP F.G. or S.G. Garand is an excellent value for what they charge. They make great restoration projects if you are so inclined or you can leave them as purchased. I know mine are great shooters. up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum