Texas Hunting Forum

Best AR for the money?

Posted By: warren

Best AR for the money? - 01/04/16 09:09 PM

New to the world of shooting and interested in getting my first AR. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of manufactures and options out there, so my question is... what's a good quality, cost effective AR? Primarily will just be used for target shooting. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks, Warren
Posted By: DeerSlayer31

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/04/16 09:17 PM

Palmetto State Armory! Plain and simple.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/04/16 09:52 PM

I like my Ruger AR 556. It was toss up between S&W MP.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/04/16 10:34 PM

/\/\/\/\
PSA
Ruger AR
S&W M&P15

All would serve you well, IMO. Others might include Bushmaster, Wyndham, possibly DPMS or DelTon.

Personally I decided buy once, cry once and went with Rock River. I spent a bit more but both the 5.56 upper and the 6.8 upper drive tacks (3/4" or better at 100 yds, 5 shot groups).
Posted By: MarkieMark

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/04/16 10:36 PM

I prefer Daniel Defense.
Posted By: MarkieMark

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/04/16 10:38 PM

For budget rifles, DPMS, Palmetto State Armory will do the job.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/04/16 11:30 PM

what's your budget?

What matters for having a very good shooting AR the most are:

Good barrel
Free float handgun
Good trigger
Good ammo

The rest is more aesthetics than anything else.

Do you want to shoot for tiny groups or just center mass?

If the latter and a 2" group at 100 is fine just about any AR will be fine.

If you want a shooter then I would be looking at a 16" midlength gas system or 18" rifle length gas system.

What's your budget?

I don't recommend buying a bargain one and they spending a few hundred "tricking" it out with aftermarket stocks, grips, handguards, etc..
Posted By: Earl

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/05/16 12:17 AM

Best for the least amount of money right now, I'd have to say the Ruger at under $600. If your budget can stretch another $200 - get a Colt.
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/05/16 12:37 AM

My first is a Colt LE6920 and never regretted buying it. Since then I've added a DPMS in .308, 2 PSA's, 2 Aero Precision, an Anderson( which is very nice for the money) a Diamondback and a Spikes. Yea I think that's it. Wife just shakes her head but kids and grand kids just grin!
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/05/16 01:49 AM

PSA for a budget gun. I own 3 and have had zero issues.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/05/16 03:02 AM

Man there are so many options these days. Just like vehicles, there are a ton to choose from budget to luxury. They all get you from point A to B. Some more reliable than others.

Just spend a little while researching on different forums and you can figure out what you want.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/05/16 03:28 AM

I have a S&W M&P 15 in .300 Black Out with a 5R barrel. No modifications, just the way S&W made it. With Hornady 110 gr. V-Max, this gun out shoots a lot of bolt guns. I've killed everything I've shot with it, DRT. Very accurate, with a great trigger.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/05/16 03:31 AM

Colt,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,buy now. The Azz clown about to make em go up again soon.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/05/16 03:36 AM

DPMS Oracle. $500 at Buds.
Posted By: warren

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/05/16 04:56 AM

Hey guys thanks for all the information and opinions... definetly given me a place to start! My budget is around $1000 and it looks like I can get a descent AR and "trick" it out for what I'm looking to spend. Thanks!!
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/05/16 02:27 PM

As much fun as it is to build them "parts guns" often don't have the resale value of a major brand.
Something to consider.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/05/16 11:27 PM

I have run a RRA's since the day they came out with no issues.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/05/16 11:36 PM

My Smith and Wesson M&P 15 has been fantastic. Bought 5(?) years ago. Couple thousand rounds.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/s...playErrorView_Y

The Troy Battle Sights, though nice quality and worked flawlessly, weren't needed so they are long gone and replaced with a 3-9x40.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/06/16 06:13 PM

Trigger, barrel, optics.

These are the components to a quality AR.

Brand name doesnt matter since your budget is only $1K
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/07/16 02:34 AM

Happy with my Olympic arms.
Posted By: HillbillyDeluxe

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/07/16 04:10 PM

Last week for the first time, I got to shoot my new S&W M&P 15 Sport II that I picked up on sale at Cabela's before Christmas and really liked it. Just a couple hundred rounds, so not much experience, but liked what it did.

It's my first AR and was looking at a relatively inexpensive entry level model. After reading all the reviews and talking to various folks here and elsewhere, I narrowed it down to the S&W and the Ruger AR-556. I was able to pick up the S&W for a better price, so that's what I went with.
Posted By: mbscdh

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/11/16 02:31 AM

Colt 6920
Posted By: Dirtsaver

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/11/16 02:45 AM

Go to slickguns.com and you can see what you can get for a $1000. Best deals on guns and related. That and palmetto state.
Posted By: 100%TEXAN

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/11/16 03:50 AM

$1000 will get a heck of a nice rifle at PSA.
Posted By: Earl

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/11/16 05:20 PM

If I was you I'd spend $600 on the Ruger, then buy you 10 mags for $100, and 2 cans of 420round 5.56mm on strippers for $164 ea from Walmart. Then as Uncle Psi would say you are ready for the Zombie Apocoliss.
Posted By: bluetopper

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/11/16 11:51 PM

Really like and impressed with my Mossberg MMR Hunter 20" barrel.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Best AR for the money? - 01/13/16 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: parisite
Really like and impressed with my Mossberg MMR Hunter 20" barrel.

Never really been a "black gun" fan, but I was wandering through Academy last week and found one of these for $569. Checked the old smart phone for reviews and after reading them I bought it right then and there. It's now wearing a 3x9x40 and has been bore sighted. When I'm feeling better we're going to the lease and give it a try. FWIW - I was tired of my old single shot with as many hogs that are starting to show up. I did have thoughts about no forward assist - but then again I know why the forward assist came about to begin with so I just let it go!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum