Texas Hunting Forum

KRG Chassis?

Posted By: KRoyal

KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 01:07 AM

Anybody have any experience with these? Thinking of getting one of these for my savage since its about the same if not cheaper than stock and DBM. KRG came out with the 180 alpha which is a blend between the whiskey 3 and X-ray versions for the Remington 700. $798 is the best price I can find in stock for the FDE version. If anyone knows of a better price that would be great. Thanks
Posted By: BigPig

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 02:22 AM

What happened with the Boyd's Tacticool stock?

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 02:53 AM

Just sold my 1911 so wanting to upgrade more than the Boyd's and they also don't have one inlet for the savage stock DBM so would have to buy a new one of those too. Figured might as well go big lol.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 05:31 AM

You trying to one-up us at Jason's competition? clap

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 06:14 AM

Lol I need all the help I can get that's for sure.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 06:17 AM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal
Lol I need all the help I can get that's for sure.

Just don't color it blue and you'll be aight

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 06:25 AM

Idk you do pretty good with your blue gun smile

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 06:59 AM

He's just mad because he didn't get the blue gun first, his is orange.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 07:04 AM

I looked long and hard at this chassis for my Savage, and after shooting one, I decided I didn't care for the AR style grip on a precision rig. Wth that being said, I have found a grip that has a thumb rest to make it feel more like a bolt gun than an AR. I might be in the market for a chassis this year

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 07:29 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig

He's just mad because he didn't get the blue gun first, his is orange.

That's right his is orange lol. Yours is the blue one right lol.

Yea I'm an AR guy so a chassis system is probably for me. I don't feel comfortable really shooting a regular stock on my savage.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 02:59 PM

KRoyal, I completely understand where you're coming from. All my training with an AR was for speed and not precision. That being said, do you know of a pistol grip to replace my Houge? I need something much more vertical. Was looking at the DD with the built in trigger guard, or the Stark
Posted By: Cleric

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 03:15 PM

Xlr is another good choice
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 03:48 PM

What are u up to K-RO????

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
KRoyal, I completely understand where you're coming from. All my training with an AR was for speed and not precision. That being said, do you know of a pistol grip to replace my Houge? I need something much more vertical. Was looking at the DD with the built in trigger guard, or the Stark

I actually run the older version MOE-K grip on my SBR because of how vertical it is. I love it. It is a little on the short side but works great for me. You can see it is a lot more vertical than most AR grips.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Cleric
Xlr is another good choice

Thanks I've looked at the XLR as well. I am considering it.

I also found the McRee's Precision last night. For features for the price hands down the McRee wins. Everything I read about it last night was nothing but great reviews. Only negative anyone could find about it was that it was ugly, but I actually think it looks great. Really leaning towards the McRee at the moment.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
What are u up to K-RO????

Oh nothing just a few upgrades I've been meaning to do.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 07:10 PM

KRoyal's rollin dirty with some badazz toys elmer

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
KRoyal's rollin dirty with some badazz toys elmer

rofl na just finally got that 1911 sold figured I could do my upgrades now. $800 chassis for a $550 savage idk if I'm smart or stupid but we shall see.
Posted By: Payne

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 07:28 PM

angel

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 07:33 PM

This is the McRee should I get the folding version for extra $60 for ease of cleaning. Don't really want to have to put the cheek piece down everytime, but $60 is another 10 round mag. Hmm

Posted By: Cleric

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 07:34 PM

Someone on the hide does an order for xlr at 20% off from time to time though a public website
Posted By: J.G.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 08:04 PM

Are you going to clean it every time you shoot it?

The main point in the folder is to make the rifle shorter for packing.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 09:45 PM

Na I clean it probably ever so often definately not after every range visit.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 11:18 PM

So what is the biggest advantage to a chassis system over a fiberglass stock? Ive never looked twice at chassis systems but i am strangely attracted to the KRG Whiskey.

Seems like you could potentially save $ on a bedding job and bottom metal. And they appear to be extremely ergonomic. But you sacrifice on the weight.
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 11:32 PM

Kroyal, if you get the Mcrees definitely get the folder. Ive been running one of his early chassis on my 300WM LR rig. I like it a lot. Its solid and I really like the folding mechanism.
Posted By: hwy84

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/01/16 11:47 PM

Ordered a G7 in FDE last night, didn't get the folder but went with the tactical fore end!
Was leaning towards the MDT HS3 but they're OOS! Looked at the KRG and AI 1.5 too

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/02/16 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper
So what is the biggest advantage to a chassis system over a fiberglass stock? Ive never looked twice at chassis systems but i am strangely attracted to the KRG Whiskey.

Seems like you could potentially save $ on a bedding job and bottom metal. And they appear to be extremely ergonomic. But you sacrifice on the weight.

That's the biggest advantage to me, is ergonomics. The not having to bed it and buy bottom metal is a plus. To get a stock on bottom metal that is even on par with the features would be same price if not more. You're not really sacrificing weight either. The X-ray is really light.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/02/16 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: MacDaddy21
Kroyal, if you get the Mcrees definitely get the folder. Ive been running one of his early chassis on my 300WM LR rig. I like it a lot. Its solid and I really like the folding mechanism.

Will do, for $60 there really isn't any reason in not getting the folder. I don't feel like I'll be packing it around anytime soon but who knows.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/02/16 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: hwy84
Ordered a G7 in FDE last night, didn't get the folder but went with the tactical fore end!
Was leaning towards the MDT HS3 but they're OOS! Looked at the KRG and AI 1.5 too

I'll probably go with the G5 since I already have a level on my scope don't really need the embedded level which are the only differences I could find between the two. I'll also be getting the tactical forend just in case I ever want to add something.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/02/16 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: hwy84

I'll probably go with the G5 since I already have a level on my scope don't really need the embedded level which are the only differences I could find between the two. I'll also be getting the tactical forend just in case I ever want to add something.

Definitely good choices. I also have the G5-TMAG because I run a flip out level on my pic rail. I also got some of the rail sections for my Atlas and for eventually adding a weapon mounted LRF like the SWR Radius. For the money, its really a hard chassis to beat.

Also, make sure you get the extended mag chassis if you think you'll need it. I should have gotten the extended but had no idea my final handload would be too long to fit in the regular length mag. So I had to buy an extended mag and have the chassis milled out to fit the larger mag. Not really a big deal but I wish I'd have just gone with the extended mag from the get go.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/02/16 01:38 AM

Hmm i don't see that option when going through all the options for the chassis.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/02/16 01:45 AM

Maybe it is action specific? It was an option for my rem 700 action.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/02/16 01:56 AM

Ahh maybe I'm getting a savage one. I'm loading to 2.840 anyway so shouldn't be an issue.
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/02/16 02:00 AM

The G5 doe's look very interesting, now I just need to talk myself out of it right now but got a very high spot on my to do list.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/02/16 02:04 AM

Lol I couldn't believe the price on the McRees.
Posted By: Dave3575

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/02/16 03:01 PM

Anybody have any experience with these? Thinking of getting one of these for my savage since its about the same if not cheaper than stock and DBM. KRG came out with the 180 alpha which is a blend between the whiskey 3 and X-ray versions for the Remington 700. $798 is the best price I can find in stock for the FDE version. If anyone knows of a better price that would be great. Thanks

I shot a 180 Alpha on Thursday that a buddy brought to the range - it was extremely comfortable and relatively lightweight, shot very well and has a very solid feel. I would also go with the folder for a few reasons, ease of cleaning, compact for storage (long barrel rifles can still use standard cases), etc...

KRG is a great company too and stand behind all their products. I'd say give it go.
Posted By: GLC

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/02/16 03:29 PM

I have got two MDS chassis on a couple of my savages. 300 win mag and 7mm08
LSS and TAC 21
MDT Chassis

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/02/16 06:06 PM

Just ordered the McRee G7 with tactical forend, folding stock, and FDE cerakote. Bought 2 5 round mags should be set. We shall see when it comes in.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/02/16 06:08 PM

up

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/03/16 02:28 AM

Let us know how it goes. My scope rings have level built in so maybe the G5 would be my choice. Anxiously waiting on pic's.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/03/16 02:31 AM

Will do, I have a SWFA bubble level on my scope but figured for $30 extra why not get the G7 just in case I decide to ever take that other level off I'll have one built in. Of course if I ever take the one on my scope off I'll have no problem remounting it because I'll have one built into the stock to go off of.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/03/16 02:34 AM

Just took my action out of the stock in prep for the new chassis and discovered my base was so loose my scope was wobbling back and forth. No wonder my rounds were walking all over the place during load development. bang even had the screws red locktited in and all but one were loose. Maybe a bad batch of locktite, redid them with different batch of locktite so hopefully I'll get everything in pretty quickly so I can get out to the range and verify my load and stuff before the match in Feb.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/03/16 03:11 PM

Hate it when that happens!
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/03/16 03:49 PM

Did you degrease the base screws and receiver before adding Loctite? They need to be squeaky clean for Loctite to work properly. Also, if the receiver is stainless steel, a primer is recommended.

Below is some info on applications for different metals.

Loctite Applications Different Metals
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/03/16 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Fitz
Did you degrease the base screws and receiver before adding Loctite? They need to be squeaky clean for Loctite to work properly. Also, if the receiver is stainless steel, a primer is recommended.

Below is some info on applications for different metals.

Loctite Applications Different Metals

Good info. I've had good luck with clear nail polish to hold screws too.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/03/16 04:22 PM

bang

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/03/16 04:54 PM

Thanks for the info Mr Fitzgerald, I did not degrease them. Looks like I'll have to do it again when I put the chassis on I'll do it all at one time.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/03/16 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
bang

That's the way my dad always did it. Never knew guys used loctite til recently.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/03/16 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
bang

Think Jason was shooting that emoji to me. He even helped me tighten everything after I got the rifle and forgot to do it before bringing it to the range the first time. Lol.
Posted By: Cast

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/03/16 05:37 PM

Purple loctite on scope mounting screws if you want to ever remove them.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/03/16 05:54 PM

bang

Think Jason was shooting that emoji to me. He even helped me tighten everything after I got the rifle and forgot to do it before bringing it to the range the first time. Lol.

Ahh. Ok. Every time I say nail polish somebody gives me a hard time lol.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/03/16 06:00 PM

Haha, yea I'm like Jason's problem child, always seems to be something with me. Should have just stuck with my LR308 lol.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/03/16 06:09 PM

Haha, yea I'm like Jason's problem child, always seems to be something with me.

Aint that the damn truth!

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/03/16 07:51 PM

Haha, yea I'm like Jason's problem child, always seems to be something with me.

Aint that the damn truth!

Haha.. Could be worse, I could like MOA scopes loser8

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/03/16 09:01 PM

MOA not welcome on my range...

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/03/16 09:13 PM

Lol, $300 says its allowed.

Don't worry, I got rid of my rifle with an MOA scope and bought a mil scope. Still gotta come see you.

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/03/16 10:25 PM

Lol, $300 says its allowed.

Of course, there are execptions to every rule. peep

Re: KRG Chassis? - 01/03/16 10:25 PM

roflmao
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum