Texas Hunting Forum

Unable to adjust scope

Posted By: floresrsr

Unable to adjust scope - 12/31/15 03:37 PM

Good morning all,
I know I am not the only one that has run in to this problem. I tried the "search" option but did not find the solution.

Equipment: Colt LE 6920 Flat Top; 5.56 cal
Burris P.E.P.R.
Leupold Mark 6 1x6x20 with 44 mm tube

I have torqued everything down according to specifications.

Left and right adjustments are good when bore sighted.
I run out of adjustment coming down. I cannot adjust point of impact to meet my laser bore sight.
Thinking my bore sight was being improperly used ( I have used it before) I went out to the range and shot at 100 yard target. Point of impact was about 4 feet high. Again, I run out of down adjustment.

How have you overcome this situation?

Thanks
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 12/31/15 03:46 PM

Is your mount a 20 MOA? You may have it on backwards. I actually saw this happen once.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 12/31/15 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
Is your mount a 20 MOA? You may have it on backwards. I actually saw this happen once.

Yup. Usually the problem when you cannot dial down a low as you need to.
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 12/31/15 03:56 PM

According to the specs on that scope it has 130 minutes of adjustment,If you're running out of adjustment something is wrong with the scope or your mounting set-up.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 12/31/15 04:00 PM

HUMMMMMMM

interesting
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 12/31/15 04:08 PM

What rings?
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 12/31/15 04:09 PM

Oh this an AR wouldn't know
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 12/31/15 04:12 PM

worthless

It's hard to put the PEPR on backwards, on the bottom part the sits on the rail it has an <--- FORWARD or at least mine did.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 12/31/15 04:15 PM

Are you adjusting the turret in the right direction?
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/01/16 10:39 PM

Just for starters I'd take the scope, rings and mount off, and then put them on again.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/02/16 05:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Are you adjusting the turret in the right direction?

This is a valid question. The first time I sighted a scope in by myself, I did this. I though I was adjust where the point of impact was, not moving g the crosshair TO the point of impact. So its atleast a possibility.

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/02/16 03:03 PM

All,
Thanks for all the suggestions.
"Is your mount a 20 MOA? You may have it on backwards. I actually saw this happen once."
I ensured that the ocular lens is near my eye. Also the magnification ring is to the rear of the weapon.

"It's hard to put the PEPR on backwards, on the bottom part the sits on the rail it has an <--- FORWARD or at least mine did."
I do have the mount on correctly. The arms of the mount are forward allowing me to move the scope forward enough for me to obtain proper eye relief.

"Are you adjusting the turret in the right direction?"
"This is a valid question. The first time I sighted a scope in by myself, I did this. I though I was adjust where the point of impact was, not moving g the crosshair TO the point of impact. So its at least a possibility."
Yes Sirs. While looking through the scope I am attempting and adjusting the scope crosshairs to meet the laser of my bore-sighter. Just won't come down enough.

"Just for starters I'd take the scope, rings and mount off, and then put them on again."
Yes Sir. I have. Thanks.

I did take it out to the range and sure enough I'm hitting way high.
I'm thinking I may have to go to a different mount setup and adjust the way I sight through the scope. I'm used to the "nose to charging handle method".

This scope has a 34mm tube and the arms of the scope mount barely clear the handguards. As a result the scope is 2.5 inches above the barrel. I'm thinking that if I go with a shorter (low vs med vs high) height mount and bring the scope toward the rear ( thus my adjusting how I fire my AR (cheek/stock weld)this will take care of the problem.

Your thoughts?

What are your scope mount setups?
Posted By: P_102

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/02/16 03:15 PM

This may sound silly, but have you checked to make sure your laser is accurate?

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/02/16 03:16 PM

Pics would really help

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/02/16 03:23 PM

Not silly at all. I did go to the range to verify shot groups, At the range I could not bring point of impact down enough.
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/02/16 03:39 PM

Think that turret facing the pic goes up but not sure that matters in adjusting.

I could be wrong just never seen it like that.

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/02/16 03:48 PM

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/02/16 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: iliketohunt
Think that turret facing the pic goes up but not sure that matters in adjusting.

I could be wrong just never seen it like that.

That's the lighted reticle battery compartment and brightness adjustment.

Thanks
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/02/16 03:53 PM

Now I feel like a dumbazz. Haha

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/02/16 03:56 PM

Aside from it being mounted really far forward, I don't see anything wrong. I too, like for my nose to touch the charging handle, right up to the point I ran the barrel into a barricade and smashed the charging handle into my nose. I've since moved it a couple spots back. For the price you paid for that scope, I'd be sending it back to be fixed

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/02/16 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: iliketohunt
Now I feel like a dumbazz. Haha

Nope. Not a dumazz. You just did not know. There are many things I do not know. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.

Robert

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/02/16 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
Aside from it being mounted really far forward, I don't see anything wrong. I too, like for my nose to touch the charging handle, right up to the point I ran the barrel into a barricade and smashed the charging handle into my nose. I've since moved it a couple spots back. For the price you paid for that scope, I'd be sending it back to be fixed

Thanks for taking the time to help out.

Robert

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/02/16 05:13 PM

It could be the mount. I have no experience with the P.E.P.R., but I was told not to buy one from a guy with a lot of experience in these things. He told me to go with American Defense, so I did.

If you can get your hands on another mount just to try, you might do that to rule out or confirm that possibility.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/02/16 05:32 PM

It could be the mount. I have no experience with the P.E.P.R., but I was told not to buy one from a guy with a lot of experience in these things. He told me to go with American Defense, so I did.

If you can get your hands on another mount just to try, you might do that to rule out or confirm that possibility.

Yep, try swapping the mount out or moving the scope to another rifle or putting another scope in this mount
Posted By: Shane431

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/02/16 07:05 PM

I'd take everything off and re-install everything starting from the beginning. I have a PEPR mount with no issues but that doesn't mean there isn't something wrong with yours. Also, I'd ditch the laser bore sightee and pull the big and charging handle and eyeball through the barrel at a target 50-100 yards away. Then adjust scope according to that.
Posted By: Shane431

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/02/16 07:08 PM

Also, you turn the knobs the opposite way when bore sighting vs moving holes on paper. I've got those confused about a dozen times bore sighting a rifle.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/02/16 07:24 PM

If your instal is right (it appears to be)

One of three things is bad
Scope
Mount
Top Rail

My bet would be the mount. So i would try another mount if possible. If the mount is fine i would send the scope back to leupold

If you get around dallas i have a mount you could borrow if you want to try it out

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/02/16 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Shaner
Also, you turn the knobs the opposite way when bore sighting vs moving holes on paper. I've got those confused about a dozen times bore sighting a rifle.

Bore sighting isn't the issue-he shot it and can't move it far enough to get it on target.

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/03/16 02:21 AM

Thanks.
Robert

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/03/16 02:24 AM

Yeah. I, thinking on going to Leupold's site and seeing what they recommend

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/03/16 02:28 AM

Thanks.
Lubbock?
I have a lot of family in Lubbock.
In fact I was the opening manager of the Cinemark Theatre on the Loop back in 91-92.
Posted By: joshbenavides

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/03/16 03:34 AM

Get you a set of Leupold Mark 4 34mm rings. Not sure what your budget is but they aren't much more than a Burris mount. They're made in America, not China and have a proven track record of reliability.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/03/16 08:43 AM

Correct, it is not the bore sighting.

I have PEPRs on my AR and my son's. I've also mounted many at work and have never had one come back. It could be the riser though. I've only had an adjustment issue once with all of the AR's I've mounted scopes on, it happens fairly often with bolt and lever guns. Unfortunately you cannot shim an AR since the base(picatinny rail) is an integral part of the receiver. It could be the scope, the rail wasn't machined level or the PEPR wasn't.

Another thought, you ought to mehanically zero the scope before you try anything else.

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/03/16 01:29 PM

I ordered a scope mount setup
recommended by the Leupold selector page. It's their version of the PEPR. I ordered it through Midway. Should be here in a week.

I'll keep all of you updated.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Robert

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/03/16 05:07 PM

I hope that solves your problem, don't be surprised if it doesn't.

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/03/16 10:51 PM

Good evening all,

A learning experience for me.
I loosened the 3 set screws and removed the cap on the elevation adjustment turret.
I found a screwdriver slot that allowed me to bypass the hard-stop built in to the cap.
I was able to adjust the elevation down.
Problem solved.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/03/16 10:55 PM

Excellent

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/03/16 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By: floresrsr
Thanks.
Lubbock?
I have a lot of family in Lubbock.
In fact I was the opening manager of the Cinemark Theatre on the Loop back in 91-92.

Cinemark? Did you know LH, she might have taken over from you? Depending on maiden/married name at the time, might have been LM or LC.

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/04/16 01:23 AM

I'm glad you got it figured out.

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/04/16 01:48 AM

Sounds like a Zero Stop type feature.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/04/16 02:14 AM

Yup. I don't know how all of us missed that.

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/04/16 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Same way he did, I reckon. grin
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/04/16 02:51 AM

I think we assumed op rtfm
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/04/16 03:18 AM

wafm?

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/04/16 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Cleric

I think we assumed op rtfm

I assumed that because I never do it either.

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/04/16 09:59 PM

Brother,
That was a long time ago

Re: Unable to adjust scope - 01/04/16 10:01 PM

As a last resort I read instructions. blush

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Robert
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum