Texas Hunting Forum

Gun Cleaning Equiptment

Posted By: LFD2037

Gun Cleaning Equiptment - 12/31/15 05:34 AM

I've had all kinds of cheap gun cleaning equipt. for years & am ready to get something nicer.
I'm wanting to be able to clean my .308's & handguns.
It appears a lot of people like the Otis kits but that seems more of a field cleaning type device. I've owned a couple Boresnake's but I don't think they clean very well @ all. I'd like fiberglass or CF for a cleaning rod.
I have all kinds of cleaning liquids so I'm good there.

What's your favorite cleaning device (rod, rope, etc.) for your rifles?
What's your favorite cleaning device (rod, rope, etc.) for your handguns?
Posted By: Judd

Re: Gun Cleaning Equiptment - 12/31/15 06:06 AM

Good Dewey or Tipton rod, good boreguide and Wipe-out so you never need to run a brush down your bore.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Gun Cleaning Equiptment - 12/31/15 09:15 AM

Tipton one piece, bore guide, jag. Mpro7 if just removing powder, butchs and a brass brush for copper. Some people don't like brushes and I don't advocate using them often but when I do, I use a bore guide but I scrub the heck out of it. I've read different opinions on this from different barrel makers and rifle builders and they're all split. Some use a brush, some don't. Some use a brush but only one direction. Some use a brush and don't care as long as it gets clean.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Gun Cleaning Equiptment - 12/31/15 11:55 AM

I'd avoid CF. They've been known to come apart and when they do you can be injured. Stainless rods are fine. I wipe them down every time I pull one out of the bore.

I use Possum Hollow bore guides. You can spend more, but I see no more reason than spending extra money on precision thumbtacks.

Brushes are fine, but I generally use nylon and thats because of the solvents I like. I do use bronze brushes with Hoppe's No.9 when dealing with carbon fouling, though. I also use non-bronze metallic jags, again because of the solvents I like.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Gun Cleaning Equiptment - 12/31/15 01:48 PM

One piece Tipton cleaning rod here. Buy the longest one they make, unlike what I did. bang

River Rider, you mentioned once before stainless rods are Ok. What's the reasoning behind this? Technically the rod doesn't contact the bore anyway? Stiffer than a carbon rod?
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Gun Cleaning Equiptment - 12/31/15 01:56 PM

I guess I never really thought about buying high-end cleaning supplies. Kinda how I dont buy high-end cleaning supplies for my house.

Maybe I need to....

Re: Gun Cleaning Equiptment - 12/31/15 01:58 PM

All of em have to be cleaned at some point. Might as well have good tools available when the need arises.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Gun Cleaning Equiptment - 12/31/15 02:06 PM

Dewey, Tipton and Pro-Shot for rods. Pro-shot jags and patches. Brass/bronze brushes as well as nylon brushes
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Gun Cleaning Equiptment - 12/31/15 03:23 PM

JG, I think stainless or a coated rod are the best choices. I haven't used a CF rod so I don't know how stiff they are. I just know that they are said to shatter when they fail and that you can get cut up when it happens.

Re: Gun Cleaning Equiptment - 12/31/15 03:50 PM

That would be similar to an arrow hitting something hard.

Mine has been dropped on concrete and hasn't suffered any damage. Wonder if the problem is brand specific?
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Gun Cleaning Equiptment - 12/31/15 04:10 PM

again, no place to cut costs, buy a HIGH quality rod, as JG states, the correct caliber and length.

GOOD BORE GUIDE, I recommend the one from Mike Lucas, but a Possum Hollow will work.

correct jag (tip)
heavy duty nylon brushes
correct size patches (can 0 worms)
bore conditioner (oil)

Like Judd says, use the Wipe Out products as directed.

Re: Gun Cleaning Equiptment - 12/31/15 07:47 PM

Went on a little expedition today trying to find Tipton rod, bore guide, etc. No luck! Academy, SWFA & walmart don't stock any of it. Looks like it'll be Amazon. Thanks for all the input!
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Gun Cleaning Equiptment - 12/31/15 08:21 PM

midaway, brownells, Sinclair, midsouth, natchez, etc
Posted By: Ridinbackwards

Re: Gun Cleaning Equiptment - 12/31/15 08:39 PM

I have some spiral wound brushes that will really pull the crud out. I only use them on rough guns that are really dirty.

Re: Gun Cleaning Equiptment - 12/31/15 08:48 PM

Got paranoid about the CF busting so I ordered a Dewey w/nylon coating. Comes w/a brush adapter & .30cal jag all for $31 delivered from Amazon. I have tons of good oils/cleaners & tips/brushes/'mops'. Thanks guys & have a safe & happy New Year!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum