Texas Hunting Forum

Got approved for suppressor questions......

Posted By: Patweldon

Got approved for suppressor questions...... - 12/29/15 11:01 PM

Ok so I got approved . This is my first one have another I'm waiting on approval for. Is there some thing that I need to know. I see someone on here selling wraps for them... What are the purpose of the wraps... Any other info would be nice
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Got approved for suppressor questions...... - 12/29/15 11:42 PM

I think the wraps mostly just look cool and provide some camp but I also heard that when the silencer gets hot it can distort the view through the scope.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Got approved for suppressor questions...... - 12/30/15 12:09 AM

Suppressor covers are like oven mits, they insulate heat. With my suppressor, the third shot will cause mirage in the scope, called suppressor mirage. It will occlude the view in the scope from 4 to 8 o'clock.

The covers keep suppressor mirage from happening.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Got approved for suppressor questions...... - 12/30/15 12:18 AM

If you shoot one shot, a cover is not needed. If you shoot more than 2-3 shots, a cover will be required! After 2-3 shots, you will have major suppressor mirage, and the target will be moving all over the place. Plus, it protects you from making contact with the can when it does heat up.

If you need any subsonic ammo, let me know!

I use these MAD covers. They are the best I have found.

http://wiebad.mybigcommerce.com/rifles-only-suppressor-cover-had/

http://wiebad.mybigcommerce.com/rifles-only-suppressor-cover-mad/
Posted By: caddokiller

Re: Got approved for suppressor questions...... - 12/30/15 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Suppressor covers are like oven mits, they insulate heat. With my suppressor, the third shot will cause mirage in the scope, called suppressor mirage. It will occlude the view in the scope from 4 to 8 o'clock.

The covers keep suppressor mirage from happening.

I learn something new every day. Never thought about it causing mirage but the last 2 times I've shot my 300 suppressed I couldn't figure out why the mirage was so bad on a 70 degree day with 10mph winds. Guess I know now.
Posted By: Patweldon

Re: Got approved for suppressor questions...... - 12/30/15 02:01 AM

Great info thanks. I have already learned that the rifle once sighted in is not on target with the suppressor.. Gues I'll leave it in forever to keep from re sighting it in
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Got approved for suppressor questions...... - 12/30/15 03:05 AM

When you add the suppressor, sometimes you will get a POI (point of impact) shift. That is normal. Sight in your rifle with the can on, and make note of what the POI change is from with and without the can. The shift is a repeatable shift, and you can dial the turrets according to how you plan to shoot.
Posted By: nak

Re: Got approved for suppressor questions...... - 12/30/15 05:27 AM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
When you add the suppressor, sometimes you will get a POI (point of impact) shift. That is normal. Sight in your rifle with the can on, and make note of what the POI change is from with and without the can. The shift is a repeatable shift, and you can dial the turrets according to how you plan to shoot.

My 5.56 Acc repeatedly needs three clicks down and four click right with the can and my favorite hand load. The problem become remembering where I left the sight last time.

I end up putting a piece of tape on my sights with a note to indicate if it is currently signed in with or without the can.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum