Texas Hunting Forum

S&S precision rifles

Posted By: tx hunter

S&S precision rifles - 12/27/15 02:40 AM

I'm thinking about using s&s for a 300wm build and was wondering if anyone has ever heard of or used them? I've called them a few times with questions and they are extremely kind and very helpful. If anyone has any photos of work done by them I'd love to see. Thanks guys
Posted By: dee

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/27/15 03:26 AM

Deal with confidence.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/27/15 04:01 AM

Originally Posted By: dee
Deal with confidence.

Yup
Posted By: caddokiller

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/27/15 04:56 AM

I have heard they have went down hill in the last year. Be carefull
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/27/15 05:04 AM

Ive heard they are lacking daily input and hands on experience from a key employee.
I have not followed up on my hearsay
Posted By: Judd

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/27/15 05:32 AM

Stick shut it down and busted up the gang. Michael is now working with Whitewing in Denton and Jonathan is doing his own thing in Cleburne. Chris went back to work in the water business....I have no idea what happened to JD but he didn't work on guns.

I would let any of them work on my stuff though. PM me if you want either Michael or Jonathan's number.
Posted By: rednckhnter87

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/27/15 02:02 PM

I heard that about 3 weeks ago Judd is right they shut it down ..
Posted By: Cleric

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/27/15 02:16 PM

Don't know about s and s but will say horizon did awesome on my 300 win mag. Excellence the communication and product
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/27/15 05:14 PM

Stick was the glue, I hope he is ok, health wise.
Posted By: glb1955

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/27/15 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Cleric
Don't know about s and s but will say horizon did awesome on my 300 win mag. Excellence the communication and product

Gonna have to x2 on Horizon. Derrick has done some great work for me. He is supposed to be at DSC and will probably have rifles with him so you can see the quality, although the real quality is how they shoot.

g

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/27/15 06:23 PM

Well, that kinda sucks about s&s. What about Alamo precision? I havent heard a whole bunch about them.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/27/15 06:47 PM

I went by Alamo precision on the 23rd to talk to them about doing some work for me. Nobody there, no hours listed on their website, no sign on the door, and nobody answered the phone. So I called Derrick at horizon, they answered the phone, had no problem connecting me directly to derrick, and I'll be shipping him my gun after deer season. That's the way I like a business to be ran.

I have no problem with Alamo shutting down for the holiday, but I would think they would communicate to customers when they would be there and when they wouldn't.
Posted By: Judd

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/27/15 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Stick was the glue, I hope he is ok, health wise.

Stick is still Stick... Just decided to throw in the towel, he's still shooting and tinkering with stuff at both Jonathan's and Michael's places.

Either of those guys are capable and while not in the DFW area Jon Trammel in Breckenridge is good and Derrick appears to put out some good stuff. Another option would be Chad and JG's guy. We have lots of great gunsmiths.
Posted By: Maxlab

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/27/15 08:46 PM

Get with Derrick he does Top Quality work, and builds rifles that shoot. Both of my rifles he built me, shoot 1/4 or better with factory ammo.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/27/15 08:58 PM

Scott Weichel at Live Oak Accuracy is another good gunsmith.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/27/15 09:53 PM

[quote=kmon1]Scott Weichel at Live Oak Accuracy is another good gunsmith. [/quot

Excellent resume, I might use him on one of my next builds
Posted By: charlesb

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/27/15 09:55 PM

A very good custom rifle maker in my neck of the woods, West Texas Ordnance out of Ackerly, Texas has also disappeared.

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/28/15 03:39 AM

Originally Posted By: tx hunter
Well, that kinda sucks about s&s. What about Alamo precision? I havent heard a whole bunch about them.

They are awesome! Robert has built me 3 rifles abd he us about to start another. Quality of work, price and attention to detail far exceededmy expectations. Plus they do all the work in house. Don't sub out to anyone in other states like some do.
Posted By: Ritter

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/28/15 05:31 AM

S&S built my last three rifles, a 7LRM, ,6.5x47 and a .243. Michael did all of the work on the 7mm and Jonathan did all of the work on the 243. Since S&S has shut it doors I wouldn't hesitate to let either one of them build another.

I went by Whitewing three weeks ago and spent some time talking with Michael. He bought all of Stick's equipment and reamerrs except for Stick's new 3 axis mill. The rifles he is building now will still have S&S Precision engraved on the barrel. Stick told me that he wouldn't have sold everything to him if he didn't think Michael could build to the same quality as before. Plus Stick still spends some time in the new shop so Michael can still rely on Stick's experience.

Heres a picture of the 7LRM that Michael did all of the work on except for the bedding. It is capable of shooting less than 1/2 MOA and is fairly typical of the accuracy an S&S rifle.

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/29/15 06:18 PM

Went by Alamo today and was able to talk to Robert about my build and get some questions answered. Got to look at some of his work and even took a peek in the work shop where all the magic happens. Real nice guy.

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/29/15 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: tx hunter
Went by Alamo today and was able to talk to Robert about my build and get some questions answered. Got to look at some of his work and even took a peek in the work shop where all the magic happens. Real nice guy.

I believe I say you there. They are a good group of guys and do really good work. When/if you get a rifle from them post up the pics.

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/29/15 07:35 PM

Just realized dads custom is an s&s
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/29/15 09:34 PM

[quote=Ritter]S&S built my last three rifles, a 7LRM, ,6.5x47 and a .243. Michael did all of the work on the 7mm and Jonathan did all of the work on the 243. Since S&S has shut it doors I wouldn't hesitate to let either one of them build another.

I went by Whitewing three weeks ago and spent some time talking with Michael. He bought all of Stick's equipment and reamerrs except for Stick's new 3 axis mill. The rifles he is building now will still have S&S Precision engraved on the barrel. Stick told me that he wouldn't have sold everything to him if he didn't think Michael could build to the same quality as before. Plus Stick still spends some time in the new shop so Michael can still rely on Stick's experience.

Heres a picture of the 7LRM that Michael did all of the work on except for the bedding. It is capable of shooting less than 1/2 MOA and is fairly typical of the accuracy an S&S
rifle.
[/quote

Great new Stick is OK and has a couple good gunsmiths to carry on great rifle building
Posted By: Trust

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/29/15 09:37 PM

I'm sad to hear about S&S, they built a 7mm for me that is lights out
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/29/15 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
I went by Alamo precision on the 23rd to talk to them about doing some work for me. Nobody there, no hours listed on their website, no sign on the door, and nobody answered the phone. So I called Derrick at horizon, they answered the phone, had no problem connecting me directly to derrick, and I'll be shipping him my gun after deer season. That's the way I like a business to be ran.

I have no problem with Alamo shutting down for the holiday, but I would think they would communicate to customers when they would be there and when they wouldn't.

Did you walk up to the correct side of the building? roflmao

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/29/15 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Bullfrog
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

Did you walk up to the correct side of the building? roflmao
I went to the big roll door first, then went around back. If the back door is their entrance door, they might want to invest in a more welcoming door. Looked like an employee entrance. Solid white, no sign in the back at all.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/29/15 10:59 PM

I was just messin with ya. The front door is on 10 side. Sounde like nobody was home like you said. You should try them again. Maybe the rain blew the sign off. You'll be happy once you talk to them. Great people in there

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/30/15 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Bullfrog
I was just messin with ya. The front door is on 10 side. Sounde like nobody was home like you said. You should try them again. Maybe the rain blew the sign off. You'll be happy once you talk to them. Great people in there

Im sure. I've heard nothing but good things. It's just weird that I couldn't even find hours of operation or what days they are open. Maybe I just missed it on the website.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/30/15 04:09 AM

I emailed Alamo two weeks ago, they promptly emailed me back to let me know they were closed 12/20-12/28 for the holiday.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: S&S precision rifles - 12/30/15 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: charlesb
A very good custom rifle maker in my neck of the woods, West Texas Ordnance out of Ackerly, Texas has also disappeared.

They were at the Lubbock gun show a couple of months back. Any idea what happened?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum