Texas Hunting Forum

FFP vs SFP

Posted By: P & Y

FFP vs SFP - 12/26/15 11:07 PM

Yeah I know there's a optics section but I thought I may get a little more action from the LR guys in here.

I am buying another scope and considering making the change to FFP. What are the benefits of FFP other than ranging with the reticle if you dial windage? I know most of you guys hold wind but I don't shoot matches and have had great results dialing wind and elevation. I don't want to change my optics unless there is a clear advantage to the FFP. I had the rifles built exactly the same except for the caliber.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: FFP vs SFP - 12/26/15 11:19 PM

The mildot is always a true value no matter what magnification you are on. But I guess if you intend to dial everything. I'm not sure there will be a ton of benefit.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: FFP vs SFP - 12/27/15 12:17 AM

I recommend stopping dialing wind. There's plenty of days that if I told you to make a wind call, dial the wind, and make the shot holding center, without ever touching the wind knob again, you'd miss. I dial wind when I'm unsteady and the target is large enough. So 90% of the time I hold wind. If there is a lull or a gust I can correct immediately. Ask everyone that has had me spot for them, and calling wind. We're both on scope on the target and I am saying (for example) hold point three for wind......now point five.....now point three....gust! hold one Mil. This can happen in ten seconds.

For my purposes I almost always want FFP. As mirage gets bad I can back down and my reticle is still correct for holding wind. As I am unsteady I can back down and the reticle is still correct for holding elevation or wind. Even on my SS 1-6X I have FFP. On 1X I am basically running a shotgun bead, on 4X, or 6X I have a real distance reticle.

There is one scope magnification I would be fine with SFP, and that is the 2-10X. With FFP on the lowest magnification the reticle can get lost at 2X if it is fine enough. And if I were going to be shooting distance I'd most likely be at 10X anyway, where the reticle subtends properly.
Posted By: P & Y

Re: FFP vs SFP - 12/27/15 12:35 AM

I have been shooting using a kestrel with applied ballistics so I typically have captured the wind at lull and at gust.I realize it would probably be faster to hold the wind but having a bracket has made it easy to make windage adjustments on the fly. Not to say that's the best way, I am still relatively new to the long range game. I need to take a closer look at the subtensions in my reticle, I think the crosshair is like 2moa floating. that kinda makes it tough to hold the wind with any accuracy.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: FFP vs SFP - 12/27/15 12:54 AM

I've got the same Kestrel, but almost never use the wind meter. Holding the meter where you are is not the same wind as where the target is. I use mirage, grass, shrubs, and trees to tell me what the wind is doing at the target. Based on that I get a wind direction and a SWAG on wind speed, then hold in Mils accordingly.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: FFP vs SFP - 12/27/15 01:15 AM

SFP may be better for target shooting. For hunting, I wouldn't want it.

And I wouldn't dial for wind, either.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum