Texas Hunting Forum

Patching a stock

Posted By: TFF Caribou

Patching a stock - 12/13/15 12:06 AM

Couple questions. Just picked up a used B&C medalist tactical stock. Love the stock, but its got 2 small holes on the forend. I guess it got dropped, both are about the size of a pencil eraser. I'd like to patch them. I've use bondo before to do some stock customization, but wasn't sure if there might be a bitter option. I'll fill the hole first so I don't have to pack it with so much bondo.

Also, when they did the inletting for the bottom metal, it looks like they did it with a chisel. It's rough. But the bottom metal fits snug, and the magazine feeds fine. I just want to fill the spaces in, and clean it up. Idk how I should do that. I'll paint the stock after I fix the issues, so that's no big deal. I can post pictures, but basically all the way around the bottom metal, there is a 1/16 to a little less than 1/4" gap between the metal and the stock.

I think it's fixable, and I got a stupid good deal on the stock mag and bottom metal,so its worth it to spend some time and money to fix it.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Patching a stock - 12/13/15 03:14 AM

I use JB Weld PlasticWeld on stocks.
http://www.jbweld.com/products/plasticweld-epoxy-putty

Re: Patching a stock - 12/13/15 05:01 AM

Do you think I could grease up the bottom metal, fill the gaps with the jb weld, and it would release?

Re: Patching a stock - 12/13/15 05:24 AM

That might work. Its like a stiff putty before it hardens so I don't think it would stick to the metal.

Re: Patching a stock - 12/13/15 05:26 AM

Maybe wrap it in cellophane. confused2

Re: Patching a stock - 12/13/15 07:23 AM

There's a picture of what I'm working with. But I paid $200 for the stock, bottom metal, and 10 round AI mag.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Patching a stock - 12/13/15 03:43 PM

Any of the bedding compounds will work for those fixes, Last one I did was with Accuglass gel.

Re: Patching a stock - 12/13/15 04:48 PM

Bedding compound is usually pretty thin isn't it?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum