Texas Hunting Forum

Please advise on AR platform

Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Please advise on AR platform - 12/09/15 06:41 PM

Got a friend that is looking to get a AR platform rifle for his son. His some is young and small for his age. Looking for a collapsible stock so it can kind of grow with him. I recommended an non polymer lower. Past that I don't really know what direction to send him in.

He sent me a link to this rifle: Rifle

Seems like a good entry level rifle. I'm open to suggestions.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/09/15 06:55 PM

Unless he lives in CA, he doesn't want that one. It doesn't have a magazine release, and requires a tool to drop the magazine.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/09/15 06:55 PM

The regular M&P sport has great reviews though.

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/09/15 07:04 PM

Thanks for that heads up. I had to look up what the "bullet button" is.
Posted By: huck18

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/09/15 07:14 PM

Main factor will be how much does he want to spend? They are all the same size in that platform.

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/09/15 07:16 PM

Probably $1000 max. He said he doesnt have a firm max but "reasonable"
Posted By: cyphertext

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/09/15 08:03 PM

As mentioned, the free state version of the M&P Sport would be a good rifle for a boy.

M&P 15 Sport
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/09/15 08:16 PM

Holy crap on a cracker! Still regularly getting surprised by how low these ar prices have gone.
Posted By: huck18

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/09/15 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Cow_doc.308
Probably $1000 max. He said he doesnt have a firm max but "reasonable"

I would go with a Colt LE 6920 or something similar. The M&P is probably a nice gun for the money as well. AR prices have dropped quite a bit due to over supply so you can find them fairly cheap. A Bushmaster or DPMS can be had for $600 give or take.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/09/15 09:32 PM

Quality AR15's are a bargin right now. Colt 6920 or a BCM is where I would spend my money. Both would provide a lifetime of service for the typical owner.

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/09/15 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: cyphertext
As mentioned, the free state version of the M&P Sport would be a good rifle for a boy.

M&P 15 Sport

Hold up... it appears that there is a new and improved M&P 15 Sport in town...

S&W M&P 15 Sport II
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/10/15 12:31 AM

choices choices choices, make a list of the one's your interested in and handle them to find the one that fits.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/10/15 12:59 AM

M&Ps are pretty decent, as are the Ruger AR556 and Windham Weaponry. I have a Rock River that I love, it is the most accurate firearm I currently own. The ATH is guaranteed 1 MOA, but with Hornady 55gr Varmint I shot two five shot 100yd groups last time out. Off a bag and with a rear bag, the first group had four of the five holes touching and was about .5" total; the second group was off a bipod and was still under .75". But it costs a bit more than the entry level models but not much above that budget.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/12/15 10:54 PM

M&P 15 Sport

Hold up... it appears that there is a new and improved M&P 15 Sport in town...

S&W M&P 15 Sport II

Looks like they added a forward assist and a dust cover - but still used the 1:9 twist like the later models.

After a few years and thousands of rounds, I've never needed the forward assist on my S&W MP15 Sport because the rifle always (always) works, and I see no need for the dust cover - even for my truck gun working/shooting in the field. YMMV - if you actually plan to roll in the dirt, it might a great feature - if you remember to close it between shots.

I prefer the original 1:8 5R barrel that they put on the first generation M&P Sport models that I have.

As far as how they work, I cannot say enough good things about the perfect reliability of the two that I own. One for the truck, the other at home for the kids/grandkids to blaze away with. Ten to twenty (30) round mags are typical for an afternoon at the tank.

I'm a "one is none and two is one" kind of guy without deep pockets. So, I prefer to own two $600 super reliable AR's than one...... There are many super reliable, inexpensive AR's out there. Some may serve your needs waaaay, waaaaay better than mine.

MY point is only to share my own hands on experience.

Marc
Posted By: helomech

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/12/15 11:01 PM

I would buy one without a forward assist, but for me a dust cover is a must. The dust here gets bad, and yes I close it after I shoot.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/12/15 11:21 PM

DPMS Oracle at Buds. $500.
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/13/15 02:01 AM

Academy has the best non - online prices I have found. Grab a gun is good too if you are in that area. Also, Richard at runner runner in Mckinney has nice complete billet or forged Texas themed lowers for $200 and NFA poly lowers Comfor $100. Pin on one of his $300 uppers (or a nicer one with the bells and whistles) and your in for a lot less than you might think.
Posted By: whistler

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/13/15 03:28 AM

Runner Runner in McKinney has good stuff and are really good guys to deal with.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/14/15 10:04 AM

I've used the forward assist on some purchased reloads. Couple of rounds weren't in spec and wouldn't chamber completely. Would have been a pain without the forward assist.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/14/15 01:52 PM

I would go with a 1-7 twist

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/14/15 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Toxarch
I've used the forward assist on some purchased reloads. Couple of rounds weren't in spec and wouldn't chamber completely. Would have been a pain without the forward assist.

You used the forward assist to cram out of spec reloads into the chamber on a one way range? Think about that....

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/14/15 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Marc Kurth

Looks like they added a forward assist and a dust cover - but still used the 1:9 twist like the later models.

I prefer the original 1:8 5R barrel that they put on the first generation M&P Sport models that I have.

I agree with you, as that is what I have as well... however, for most of the shooting I do, it doesn't make any difference. I find myself plinking away with 55 gr and 62 gr rounds that the 1:9 twist would handle just fine. I have shot some 77 gr Black Hills just once, and found that they were not all that accurate out of my Sport. I'm sure there are some heavy loads that it likes, but that isn't what I typically shoot.
Posted By: Nick1

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/15/15 03:22 AM

Hope op doesn't mind me asking, but for a person new to ar platforms, what caliber is preferred for maybe some hog/predator hunting? 223 or 308 or other? Thanks
Posted By: helomech

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/15/15 03:43 AM

For hog 308 would be better, but 5.56 will do the job with good ammo. I use barnes 62gr ttsx for my 5.56, and either barnes ttsx 168, or hornady SST 165 grain in my 308. 308 is more expensive and a good bit heavier. If you don't mind the weight and cost 308 is better.
Posted By: Payne

Re: Please advise on AR platform - 12/15/15 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Nick1
Hope op doesn't mind me asking, but for a person new to ar platforms, what caliber is preferred for maybe some hog/predator hunting? 223 or 308 or other? Thanks

6.8 SPC
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum