Texas Hunting Forum

McMillan stock?

Posted By: tx hunter

McMillan stock? - 12/05/15 03:43 AM

Currently have a 300 win mag project in the works and I am in need of a stock. A friend has a McMillan stock that has the correct inlet for my action and it's set up in an ideal configuration. Only issue is the barrel channel is cut straight at 1.20" (no taper). The barrel for my project starts at 1.20" and tapers down to .90 at the muzzle. If I were to use this stock it looks like the barrel would have a very generous free float lol. Aside from the barrel channel gap not looking to pretty I don't see an issue with using this stock. What do y'all think?
Posted By: bo3

Re: McMillan stock? - 12/05/15 03:49 AM

As long as you don't mind the gap, it'll work fine.
Posted By: jeff1383

Re: McMillan stock? - 12/05/15 04:11 AM

Joe at OTM tactical in Florida has several Mcmillan stocks in inventory. Although the barrel channel being bigger than your barrel contour, I believe it will bug you enough that you may change it down the road. Best to get the one you want from the get go.

Re: McMillan stock? - 12/05/15 04:30 AM

I'll checkout OTM. The stock my buddy has is everything I want in a McMillan. Stock is new and never used. He wants half of what it cost him new. Plus I don't have to wait 6 months for a stock lol. I think I can get past a little gap.
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: McMillan stock? - 12/05/15 04:36 AM

Also, Mcmillan keeps quite a few in stock. I just bought one from them without the wait and it was also on sale.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: McMillan stock? - 12/05/15 04:44 AM

Wait and get one that you will be proud of showing.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: McMillan stock? - 12/05/15 11:42 AM

Yours is .90" at the muzzle, but what is the barrel diameter where it would meet the end of the forearm?

I bet the gap won't be huge, and if it looks bad to you, fill it with bedding. Then check for barrel clearance after, adjust as needed.

Re: McMillan stock? - 12/05/15 01:24 PM

Where my barrel would meet the end of the stock it measures 1.10". The gap would be the thickness of a dime on either side of the barrel. Not bad imo.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: McMillan stock? - 12/05/15 01:26 PM

go for it, sounds like a great deal
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum