Texas Hunting Forum

Stuck Choke

Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Stuck Choke - 12/01/15 08:31 PM

I have an over and under and the bottom (toward the action) of one of the chokes peeled up somehow. Now, of course, it is stuck in the barrel. I tried using the choke wrench, but found that the choke material is much stronger than the wrench material, as I stripped the wrench trying to get it out.

Any great ideas on how you have gotten a stuck one out, or should I take it to a gunsmith (and any recommendations int he PLano/Frisco/Allen/McKinney area would be appreciated if I need to go that route)?

Thanks in advance! confused2
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Stuck Choke - 12/01/15 09:10 PM

Soak w/ Kroil & try again. Cork the muzzle w/rubber stopper, and put a few oz in thru the chamber. soak overnight or two.

Re: Stuck Choke - 12/01/15 09:13 PM

Thanks for the idea. Worth a try for sure.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Stuck Choke - 12/01/15 09:25 PM

above, maybe a touch of heat
Posted By: Chunky Monkey

Re: Stuck Choke - 12/01/15 11:57 PM

I got one stuck before. I put a quarter in the choke and found a tight spot on my tailgate that would hold it in place and then twisted the gun. Was able to torque it enough to free it and the quarter held up. Maybe worth a shot...

Re: Stuck Choke - 12/02/15 12:00 AM

Thanks.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Stuck Choke - 12/02/15 12:29 AM

I would let it soak with Kroil oil and the put it in a vise and give it a good turn with a new choke wrench maybe Tap on the wrench with a hammer to give it some shock.

Walter
Posted By: Scoutdog

Re: Stuck Choke - 12/02/15 03:54 AM

Soaking in automatic transmission fluid will also work.
Posted By: huntandfish

Re: Stuck Choke - 12/02/15 02:20 PM

I soaked a beretta i had bought that had a stuck choke, the kroils took the finish off the shotgun to bare metal! I left it overnight with the tip in a olive jar! I decided to do this after several people suggested it last year ear! choke still stuck, but the shotgun was bought very very cheap! Guess it depends on the finish.

Re: Stuck Choke - 12/02/15 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: huntandfish
I soaked a beretta i had bought that had a stuck choke, the kroils took the finish off the shotgun to bare metal!i left it overnight with the tip in a olive jar! I decided to do this after several people suggested it last year ear!

Ouch - thanks.
Posted By: D-Day

Re: Stuck Choke - 12/02/15 06:37 PM

Liquid Wrench is another one to try. I've used it successfully on several stuck screws...no chokes though. I've always let it soak in for hours or overnight. With Kroil, Liquid Wrench, and heat you should be able to work it out without damaging anything.

I keep anti-seize/choke lube in my shooting box...so far no issues in 20+ years. Might be luck.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Stuck Choke - 12/02/15 06:53 PM

I've got a bucket of kero with a quart of ATF in it. Drop it in there for a few days and it will be finger tight.

I've put huge 1" bolts with nuts that I could not budge in it and they unscrewed with my fingers a few days later.
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Stuck Choke - 12/03/15 08:59 PM

I have a tool specifically for removing stuck chokes, you bring it to the house and I will remove it for free.

Re: Stuck Choke - 12/03/15 09:25 PM

Thank you David. You're a little ways away, but if I don't have success soon, I will be taking you up on that offer. Thanks again!
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Stuck Choke - 12/04/15 12:55 AM

I use the little foil packets of anti-seize that they sell in the auto parts store for spark plugs. - I think it's a buck or so, and one package lasts a long time for firearms use.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum