Texas Hunting Forum

Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR

Posted By: BassCat'99

Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 11/30/15 06:45 PM

Looking for anyone with a 6.5 CM AR, factory or custom build. I have a couple questions.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 11/30/15 08:12 PM

The guy on the YouTube channel 8541 tactical has a series of videos where he builds one from scratch. May wanna check it out. Might a fewer your questions and some more. He's Lon winded at times but seems thorough.
Posted By: Tye

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/01/15 12:52 AM

I've got one banana
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/01/15 01:10 AM

What are your questions?

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/01/15 01:51 AM

Well I'm having trouble with feeding. Give you a background of the rifle. Upper, lower and bcg are Palmetto State. Barrel is a 18" X-Caliber and stock is a UTG 308 standard A2 stock with 308 length buffer and spring. Gas is a mid length non-adjustable. Trouble I'm having is fail to feed. With bolt locked back I can chamber the first round, fire and brass ejects and bolt closes. Pull trigger and "click", pull charge handle back and no round in chamber or ejected. Release bolt and another round chambers. For some reason it will not reload after I fire but will every time with the charge handle. It's like the bolt does not travel back far enough to pick up next round.
Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/01/15 01:56 AM

Does the bolt lock back after the last round is fired from the magazine?
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/01/15 01:56 AM

Factory ammo?

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/01/15 01:59 AM

it does lock back after last round and I'm using Hornady 129gr SST ammo

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/01/15 02:09 AM

Could it be a gas supply problem? As in not enough, maybe a larger gas port?

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/01/15 02:11 AM

Pm sent

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/01/15 02:29 AM

It's either the spring buffer combo or you need to get an adjustable gas block. It sounds like the gas pressure is not enough to push the bolt carrier far enough back to pick up the next round. I'll txt my gun builder.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/01/15 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Tye
It's either the spring buffer combo or you need to get an adjustable gas block. It sounds like the gas pressure is not enough to push the bolt carrier far enough back to pick up the next round. I'll txt my gun builder.

This was my suspicion. Not being any kind of expert on the AR, I wanted to see the diagnosis from someone that knows more.

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/01/15 03:01 AM

I spoke with my AR gun builder. He said it could be several things. He would have to diagnose in person. I'm thinking you buy an adjustable gas block and start opening it up until the bolt carrier stays back after you shoot it with single shots. Then load a mag with 3-4 rounds and see what happens. Do you use a suppressor?

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/01/15 03:07 AM

I think it's either something in the gas system or a bad mag...

Load one round in the mag and pull the trigger. Does it lock back open?

Are you using multiple mags?
Posted By: jeff1383

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/01/15 03:10 AM

If this is something you put together yourself my bet would be the gas hole/block alignment is off. Check for gas leakage around the block on the barrel.

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/01/15 03:11 AM

Those rounds are more than hot enough to overcome the spring/buffer combo.

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/01/15 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Cleric

The fact that it will strip a round with the charging handle would leave me to believe his mags are ok. This sounds like 100% short stroking

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/01/15 03:26 AM

I had put the original carbine adj. stock back on and it would cycle on first round..fire,eject,strip next round but would not go back in battery. I feel pulling the charge handle back take a lot more exertion then any of my other AR's. I'll verify alignment on gas block and re-post.

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/01/15 03:38 AM

Originally Posted By: jeff1383

The fact that it will strip a round with the charging handle would leave me to believe his mags are ok. This sounds like 100% short stroking

agreed I believe that it is short stroking as well, I would just test the mag to be sure. earlier he says it has last round hold open so that seems odd to me.

His gas block could not be aligned right, the gas tube can not be installed right, the buffer could be too heavy, the spring could be too tight, the tube could not be installed right, there are a number of things that could lead to short stroking....
Posted By: Dien

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/01/15 06:27 AM

Would a different weight buffer help?
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/01/15 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: BassCat'99
I feel pulling the charge handle back take a lot more exertion then any of my other AR's. I'll verify alignment on gas block and re-post.

This may be a different problem altogether if it seems stuck in battery. Have you checked head space? Does the bolt move freely in the barrel extension? Is it only difficult to pull the charge handle back when loaded vs not loaded?

I am interested in what you find out.

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/01/15 04:05 PM

It's very stiff, when pulling charge handle back, upon releasing it the bolt would completely go into battery with the cartridge. But it slammed hard with or with out a round.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/01/15 10:35 PM

I own one and to date have never had a feed issue. I do custom load my ammo. I'm wondering if you built it on an ar 10 or ar 15 platform? Mines an ar 10
Posted By: HicksHunter

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/02/15 03:30 PM

It's very stiff, when pulling charge handle back, upon releasing it the bolt would completely go into battery with the cartridge. But it slammed hard with or with out a round.

Does it feel like there's friction from the bolt or charging handle rubbing somewhere? I'd look on the sides of the CH, and around the bolt carrier to check for abnormal wear.

But my gut says this is just because it's a new AR. The problem is probably just a misaligned gasblock, or misdrilled gas port. I haven't read up on PSA's 6.5 CM builds to know if they're coming out with any common problems.

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/02/15 04:42 PM

What kind of ammo?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/02/15 06:59 PM

What kind of ammo?

it does lock back after last round and I'm using Hornady 129gr SST ammo
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/02/15 07:04 PM

Like some of the others I am thinking

Not enough gas
Bolt not having enough clearance
Buffer and or spring too heavy, Creedmoor doesn't have as much recoil as a 308, so does it really need as heavy buffer/spring
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/02/15 09:11 PM

Just thinking out loud, but if it is stiff to pull back via charge handle (with or w/o loaded round) and it slams into battery with much force, you may have a spring that is too heavy or something is binding. Note, the AR10 will require more force to pull the BCG back via the charging handle than an AR15.

Have you attempted to remove the spring and buffer to inspect? How about removing the buffer tube? It may very well be a gas issue but your description leads me to believe a mechanical issue with the spring/BCG.

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/02/15 10:49 PM

I've talked to my barrel people and they suggest first to try a metal mag instead of the Pmags I have been using. At this point I can lock the bolt back manually but not on an empty mag. It will strip a round from the mag, chamber, fire and eject but not catch on a empty mag. It will continue to strip rounds from mag till empty but not catch on empty. It's working fine except the mag deal, I've ordered a mag from ACS, Ammunition Storage Componets. That is who they recommended. When it comes in I'll try it and post outcome.

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/10/15 12:49 AM

Well I finally got the dang thing working, I had suspicions about the gas system. I called the barrel mfg and inquired about the size of the gas port. It's drilled 0.055, a normal .308 is near 0.08 so I drilled it a 1/16th approx 0.0625 I believe. Took it out this afternoon with out doing anything else, same gas block and all parts the same and it came alive!! Fires, strips next round one after another and lock back on empty mag. Just did not have enough gas to move bolt back far enough. With the A2 stock and rifle spring and buffer Hornady 129gr SST felt like a .223 recoil. I'm pumped!

Re: Who has a 6.5 Creedmoor AR - 12/10/15 12:11 PM

Sweet. Glad you got it figured out!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum