Posted By: Bear13

Any thoughts on this savage? - 11/29/15 07:31 PM

Looking for a beginner 308

Found this one and interested.

Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP

Any thoughts?
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Any thoughts on this savage? - 11/29/15 07:37 PM

Any thoughts on the Mossberg MVP in 308, bolt action, fluted bull barrel, AR style magazine?
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Any thoughts on this savage? - 11/29/15 07:53 PM

We have this exact package in a 243 and it is fantastic for the price. The only thing we did was change out the base and rings with Talley one piece rings. I can easily hit a man sized silhouette at 400 yards with facptey Hornady whitetail ammo. Not an amazing feat but the rifle does well.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Any thoughts on this savage? - 11/30/15 01:58 AM

The Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP looks very good.

Nice walnut stock, and the Nikon scope they supply is really great. - I own several of those because - they work well.

I don't think that you are going to do any better for the money.
Posted By: DeRay012001

Re: Any thoughts on this savage? - 12/01/15 01:55 AM

I recently bought the Savage .308 .. Not the "upgraded" one but the basic one .. I paid 280 for it .. Comes with Bushnell basic 3 to 9 x 40 .. I'm not a marksman at all .. First 9 shots out of the box were all on paper at 100 yards .. And felt smooth .. Trigger is heavy but I prefer that anyway .. The upgrade to the accutrigger is like anothr 150 bucks but includes a better scope .. Still my first 9 shots all hit 8, 9, and bulls .. I'm a Savage fan now for sure .. But buy the next level up from crap ammo .. Seemed to be a big difference .. Could have just been the shooter..
Posted By: el_cazador713

Re: Any thoughts on this savage? - 12/01/15 03:01 AM

Great gun, can't go wrong with a Savage. Every Savage I've bought or shot has been an absolute tack driver.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Any thoughts on this savage? - 12/01/15 03:22 AM

I have a sample of Two savages. One is a Precisions Carbine with heavy barrel & accustock that weighs 8.5 lbs. The other is a new stainless 16 lightweight 308 with a pencil barrel and a cheap [censored] stock that weighs 5.5 lbs. Both are absolutely tack drivers and are super easy to load for. Load development is a snap because they shoot everything MOA or better.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Any thoughts on this savage? - 12/02/15 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: jvr_dejesus
Great gun, can't go wrong with a Savage. Every Savage I've bought or shot has been an absolute tack driver.

I have had good experience as well
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Any thoughts on this savage? - 12/02/15 12:35 PM

I have never seen anything out of the box with shelf ammo shoot any better, and that was before I started reloading
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Any thoughts on this savage? - 12/02/15 12:35 PM

I have never seen anything out of the box with shelf ammo shoot any better, and that was before I started reloading
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum