Texas Hunting Forum

Difficulty Feeding a Model 70 Featherweight 25-06

Posted By: Hunter Gatherer

Difficulty Feeding a Model 70 Featherweight 25-06 - 11/27/15 03:25 PM

Question for those who know something about rifles:

I encounter resistance when closing the bolt on my Model 70 25-06. It happens with factory ammo as well as reloaded ammo. Accuracy in this rifle is very good and I've never seen split cases, crushed primers, etc. However, something is not right about this. Anyone have an idea of where I need to begin? I'm thinking I probably need to take this rifle to a gunsmith.
Posted By: bo3

Re: Difficulty Feeding a Model 70 Featherweight 25-06 - 11/27/15 03:48 PM

Any resistance when opening after firing a round? Did you buy it new? Any chance it's been rebarreled? It could be a tight chamber.

Re: Difficulty Feeding a Model 70 Featherweight 25-06 - 11/27/15 04:14 PM

It opens clean and smooth every time. I bought it new in the box.
Posted By: bo3

Re: Difficulty Feeding a Model 70 Featherweight 25-06 - 11/27/15 05:00 PM

Can you see any rough spots in the chamber? I think it has a tight chamber. My 257 wby will do this but I set it with a tight chamber.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Difficulty Feeding a Model 70 Featherweight 25-06 - 11/27/15 05:29 PM

I'd verify that when feeding, the case rim is slipping up onto the bolt face UNDER the extractor as it should. Then if that's not an issue, I'd make sure the locking lug recesses are clean and free of debris. After that I'd clean and lightly lube the locking lugs with some good grease.

I do have a question, though: if you chamber a live round and put the rifle on safe, then open the bolt and extract the cartridge only an inch or so and then close the bolt again on the same cartridge, is there any difference in the feel?
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Difficulty Feeding a Model 70 Featherweight 25-06 - 11/28/15 01:49 PM

Before you do anything just greas the bolt lugs

Re: Difficulty Feeding a Model 70 Featherweight 25-06 - 11/29/15 04:06 AM

Guys, as always I appreciate your willingness to help out. Thank you.
Posted By: Huntaholics

Re: Difficulty Feeding a Model 70 Featherweight 25-06 - 11/29/15 04:21 AM

I recently had to help a buddy with a bolt rifle that was new and having feeding issues. His was a simple issue where he had bought some "filler" to use under his scope bases and some of it had wept down the screw hole and into the bolt/chamber area. It caused his bolt to become difficult to turn and feed. Disassembled the rifle and had to pick out the dried resin. Once it was clear it fed like a dream.

Have you tried to see if there's contact on the round by either taking a black sharpie and coloring a round or taking a match (unloaded round of course) and "sooting" the round then chambering to see where the contact is being made?

Re: Difficulty Feeding a Model 70 Featherweight 25-06 - 11/29/15 09:14 PM

That's a great idea Hunt. I'll give that a try as well.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum