Texas Hunting Forum

Savage 111 .30-06 Project

Posted By: Gwood88

Savage 111 .30-06 Project - 11/16/15 10:53 PM

I currently use a Savage Trophy Hunter XP in .30-06 for deer hunting. I am looking at buying my first can soon, the Griffin Optimus (when it becomes available).

So in the time that it takes to order, wait, and receive my can I want to upgrade the stock and barrel.

Any suggestions? I have heard mixed reviews on the Hogue, some say it fits others say it requires modifying.
Any suggestions on where to pick up a threaded barrel?
Posted By: BIGDOG1956

Re: Savage 111 .30-06 Project - 11/16/15 11:02 PM

I have 2 houge stocks any market will require fitting and bedding.
Their are many utube video on the subject you can do your self.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Savage 111 .30-06 Project - 11/16/15 11:24 PM

Budget on your build/purpose? As far as barrels since you have a 30.06, do you want to go different caliber or stay with 30.06? Brownells/ER Shaw - around $200, Criterion $300 to $350, Shilen $300 to $400 and it goes up from there as far as barrel cost. I would as myself the question, do I want to stay with a 30.06 caliber? If not this is the time to be thinking about a new caliber. Are you going to buy off shelf ammo? Then you need to go with a caliber that you can find ready made ammo. If you have the interest of reloading in the future then your imagination is your only limitation as far as caliber.

Re: Savage 111 .30-06 Project - 11/17/15 12:39 AM

I want to keep it in .30-06. No time in my life for reloading unfortunately.

It's purpose will remain the same, mainly a hunting rifle. Occasionally, I'll stretch it out a little further but mainly just plinking, as in not shooting for tightest group.

As it stand's it's a solid 1 MOA rifle with factory loads and that's plenty good enough for my purposes. So probably a Shaw or Criterion.

I thought I remembered a member on here who was also a vendor for savage barrels, barrel nuts, ect?
Posted By: GLC

Re: Savage 111 .30-06 Project - 11/17/15 01:15 AM

Talk to Jim at Northland Shooters Supply. He will spend all the time you need on the phone answering any questions that you have and see you what you need/want. He doesn't just try to sell you a barrel. I have delt with him a few times.
http://northlandshooterssupply.com/match-grade-barrels/
Or you can get a barrel kit from Brownells that sell ER Shaw
I have both ER Shaw and Criterion barrels on rifles. With reloading they have held .25 to .375 moa.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Savage 111 .30-06 Project - 11/17/15 01:38 AM

You could have your barrel threaded.

www.stockadegunstocks.com

Prairie dog/ Tactical. Do the money saver option. You have to prime and paint, no big deal. I have that stock and it is high quality! I've got two Manners T-4 to compare to. Aluminum spine running the length of the forearm. Shipped, I believe it was $260.

Re: Savage 111 .30-06 Project - 11/17/15 01:47 AM

Nice! Exactly what I had in mind! Thanks guys!
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: Savage 111 .30-06 Project - 11/17/15 02:33 AM

Good luck getting a Stockade stock in under a year,Kevin stays pretty backed up. They are very nice stocks.

Don't discount E.R.Shaw barrels. I've had many different brands of barrels over the years both cut and button rifled,and the best shooting barrel(smallest groups) that I've ever owned is an E.R Shaw.
I love Brux,Krieger,Lija,and Pac-Nor barrels,and have had several,but they cost over twice as much as the Shaw's.
McGowen makes a pretty good barrel too,my 6.5-06 wears a custom 26" McGowen.

Jim at Northland is great to deal with. There are several other vendors of Savage components on Savage Shooters forum,as well as the Gun Shack.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Savage 111 .30-06 Project - 11/17/15 02:50 AM

I have no personal experience with the Shaw barrels on Savage actions. But several gun writers and rifle nuts alike have praised the Shaw custom house's rebarreling service. You send your gun to Shaw, and they will affix one of their barrels to your action. I believe they even toss away the fugly barrel nut. Cost and turn-around are reasonable too. The new rifle is almost certain to be superbly accurate. I understand Shaw has modernized their shop with new tooling, and their product shows it.

You can go to ER Shaw's website for details.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum