Texas Hunting Forum

Need help choosing first AR

Posted By: cp50948

Need help choosing first AR - 11/16/15 04:48 PM

I am looking to buy my first AR. Never really even thought of owning one until I coyote hunted with one of my buddy's. So much easier to maneuver and plenty accurate out to 200 yrds. I have narrowed it down to three options trying to stay under $900:

Option 1: Ruger AR 556
Really like the rifle. Great price online. However it seems the Front Sight/Gas Block has to be replaced by a Gunsmith and is not easily changed. Can you mount a scope on an AR with Front sight without it getting in the way of view?

Option 2: Windham SRC 223/556
Again Really like this weapon. Just not sure on quality, haven't been around long. Can't seem to find out if it is Mil-spec or not.

Option 3: DPMS 556
Seems to be a good all around rifle and good bang for the buck.

Any help or Pics of you rifles would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: Need help choosing first AR - 11/16/15 06:35 PM

Windham was bushmaster before they got bought out (in a very small nutshell).
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Need help choosing first AR - 11/16/15 07:48 PM

You can get a pretty good AR15 for $900 nowadays. Have you considered building one? This allows you to get exactly what you want.

For coyote hunting I would recommend a twist of 1:7 or 1:8 which will allow you to shoot 69 - 77gr bullets. Also, for accuracy, I would not recommend a chrome lined barrel.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Need help choosing first AR - 11/17/15 07:19 AM

Front sight shouldn't block much if using a scope. Some people just take a dremel to the front sight rather than swapping it out for a low profile one.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Need help choosing first AR - 11/17/15 11:53 AM

I can't see my A2 front sight trough my glass. With QD mounts and an extra A2 carry handle/sight I can switch between the two.

Windhams are great for the price. My buddy has one from 2012 right before the panic. It shoots lights out.

That being said, I'd build one.....in fact I just did. In a week's time researching you'll know what you want and from there it's just a matter of finding good deals on the parts you selected.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Need help choosing first AR - 11/17/15 03:55 PM

of those three Windham...

I'm a buy once cry once guy... so I'd also be looking at a daniels and a larue... I really like the paul howe rifle...
Posted By: BushFamilyNine

Re: Need help choosing first AR - 11/18/15 01:29 AM

Are you including scope or accessories in your price range? The Ruger AR556 and the unmentioned M&P Sport are good choices in the $550 to $650 dollar range. For $900 you are in the range of the Rock River Arms rifles and even the Colt LE6920 models. Finding quality used ARs in good shape is easy too.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Need help choosing first AR - 11/18/15 06:13 AM

DPMS oracle. $500 at buds.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Need help choosing first AR - 11/19/15 05:04 AM

I love my Ruger Ar556. Got it at gt distributors for 606 out the door. Gave me extra cash for case, sling, mags, ammo. And vortex strikefire red dot for 159.00
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Need help choosing first AR - 11/19/15 06:28 AM

Rock river gets my vote but be warned horrible customer service but never had an issue with one. Also 900 you can build a nice one using anderson recievers and blk hole barrel. The s&w is good to go.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Need help choosing first AR - 11/19/15 09:07 PM

I have 3-9x40 Bushnell on both of my S&W MP15 Sports and I can't see the front post.
I use simple Millet one-piece mounts that give me clearance for the charging handle and rear MBUS flip up for quick changeover.

I'm not a good shooter, but the combo serves me and my old eyeballs well. (I ended up with identical combos - one lives in my truck)

Most certainly not a precision rifle, and I'm not a marksman, but this is a very typical and repeatable 10 shot group at 125-130 yds with 62gr. At just a bit over $700. including the scope and a pair of 30 round magazines, it's a good utility rifle.

Marc
Posted By: ckat

Re: Need help choosing first AR - 11/19/15 09:51 PM

Of those three - Windham would get my vote. My Rock River has sat in the safe crying since I picked up my SRC. The trigger was not good (like most budget ARs), but an ALG ACT with JP springs fixed that. RRA also had their 2-stage triggers on sale for $62 a while back. This has been a typical 5-shot group at 100 yards with decent ammo:

Posted By: Huntaholics

Re: Need help choosing first AR - 11/29/15 05:15 AM

Funny thing about mounting a scope and having a front sight post - it's so close to the scope that you'll never see it because of the focal length of the scope.

If you do want to remove the front sight post there's videos of how to do it online and AR15.com has a forum that guides you throught the whole process. Pretty simple actually, just need a couple of tools, vice blocks and a large clamp....
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum