Texas Hunting Forum

AR-15 or other choices?

Posted By: EddieWalker

AR-15 or other choices? - 11/15/15 04:47 PM

My wife has decided that we need something better then our shotguns, deer rifles and pistols for home defense. I don't know what she expects to happen, but it sounds like a great Christmas gift for her if I can figure out what to buy.

I was in the Marines and have some experience with the M16a2, mini14 and the uzi. I'm not set on a caliber, but she is only 130 pounds and would prefer something with as little kick as possible.

I see sales and dozens of different brands out there, but don't know who makes quality.

I've read through some of the posts on here that link to dozens of youtube videos, and reviews, but my head begins to swim and I lose interest.

I'm hoping that some of you with experience and knowledge about this would just point me in the right direction of what to buy off the shelf that does not require a lot of modifications or replacing existing parts. In all honesty, it will probably get used a fair amount right away, but then sit in the safe for months at a time and only come out once or twice a year.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: AR-15 or other choices? - 11/15/15 05:08 PM

If you've got shotguns and pistols you should be set-both are better options in close quarters. If the shotguns are unwieldy you could buy a shorter barrel to use when you aren't hunting. If you want an AR, given your description of use I'd go with an S&W M&P Sport, Ruger AR 5.56, or Del Ton, all of which are available pretty cheap right now
Posted By: Cleric

Re: AR-15 or other choices? - 11/15/15 05:47 PM

9mm ar sbr with a can
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: AR-15 or other choices? - 11/15/15 06:02 PM

I just bought my first AR-15 223, dont know why I waited so long. It is cheap and fun to shoot, and very easy to maneuver. It has very little recoil, and she will love to shoot it. Adjustable stock makes it fit any one down to a young child. Just my opinion.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: AR-15 or other choices? - 11/16/15 01:08 AM

Sounds like a nice AR pistol may be in store for you if it is home defense. Or some type of 9mm carbine from Kel TEC or others that I have seen on TV
Posted By: BushFamilyNine

Re: AR-15 or other choices? - 11/16/15 01:29 AM

Weight of the person usually has very little to do with selecting weapon for home defense. Rather, look at the arm and hand strength. Some pistols and shotguns are very hard to operate with weak hands. If you wife is comfortable with weapons you have at home, consider that a start. Instead of buying a new firearm, invest that money into some defense courses. Memory function with a weapon you already own, plus some training time, will greatly help a person when it comes to an unexpected confrontation in the home. 2cents
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: AR-15 or other choices? - 11/16/15 02:25 AM

Short barrel shotgun. Can't be beat.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: AR-15 or other choices? - 11/16/15 08:38 AM

Got neighbors? Fast bullets go through walls. In my opinion, a rifle isn't the best choice for home defense unless you are shooting them at the road. Just my opinion and I do own several ARs.
Posted By: TexasVine

Re: AR-15 or other choices? - 11/16/15 01:54 PM

As a couple stated, I believe handguns are better than rifles for self defense in close quarters. The Ar-15 introduces more challenges in a spur of the second-high stress situation in tight areas.

Re: AR-15 or other choices? - 11/16/15 02:24 PM

Thank you for all the advice. As of right now, this is the one that I'm leaning towards, but will still be looking for another month or so. I think this, or something similar, will be her Christmas gift this year.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/firearms/centerfire-rifles/semiautomatic-centerfire-rifles%7C/pc/104792580/c/553829580/sc/105522480/i/105524280/bushmaster-174-qrc-quick-response-carbine-semiautomatic-tactical-rifle-with-mini-red-dot/2041410.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/semiautomatic-centerfire-rifles/_/N-1114861/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_105524280&avad=55963_b9e680da&WT.mc_id=al41227&Subid1=SID&subacctid=41227&subacctname=41227&adname=Custom+Link&adtype=cl&adid=NA&rid=12&WT.tsrc=AFF
Posted By: cp50948

Re: AR-15 or other choices? - 11/16/15 04:38 PM

Eddie Walker I am currently looking a the same rifle from Bushmaster. Did some research on bushmaster, apparently the quality of their rifles and customer service has dropped in recent years. I think I'm going with Ruger AR556 or Windham Weaponry. The only thing bad about Ruger AR 556 I've found is that the front sight gas block is a pain in the @$$ to change out with low profile for optics.
Posted By: bull279

Re: AR-15 or other choices? - 11/16/15 04:48 PM

If you do get an AR for home defense, I HIGHLY recommend that you use frangible ammunition. The .223 or 5.56 ammo is going to go through multiple walls before it stops. It would be a shame to have a break in and accidentally kill a family member or neighbor (if they are close by) by shooting through a wall.

Re: AR-15 or other choices? - 11/16/15 08:04 PM

My home is 800 feet off the road and my closest neighbor is a mile away, on the other side of a hill, through some very thick pines.

Thanks for the info on the Bushmaster. I've just been looking online and trying to decide who makes what, and what do they have that I want. There are so many options, this is like buying a new TV
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: AR-15 or other choices? - 11/17/15 12:38 AM

I have an Anderson and a Palmetto State, both are fine. The rest are custom builds but in your case you know how to handle one, just get one that is reliable.
Posted By: Chris42

Re: AR-15 or other choices? - 11/17/15 01:08 AM

Some of yall hsould see the truth about guns regarding an AR shooting through walls.

If it was me, I'd get a shorter (16 or 14.5 pinned) with lightweight barrel. Magpul handguards, plus a sling and light and you are good to go.

Rifel is better than pistol or shotguns. The only other thing I would consider orther than AR would be either an AUG or Tavor simply because they are shorter without SBRing the rifle.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: AR-15 or other choices? - 11/17/15 05:56 AM

Any reliable 9mm or larger handgun will be better in a house than an AR. If you want on, by all means buy it, but a handgun will be a much better choice.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: AR-15 or other choices? - 11/17/15 06:42 AM

I recently bought my first AR and am very glad I did. I bought the Ruger AR556 from gt distributors for under 600 dollars. For home defense the AR weapon is debatable. I think it gives u lots of rounds and is intimidating in appearance.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: AR-15 or other choices? - 11/17/15 01:47 PM

Mossberg 500 cruiser, 20 gauge.
Posted By: 30378

Re: AR-15 or other choices? - 11/17/15 02:22 PM

A good reliable shotgun is really hard to beat. Projectiles will go room to room but usually not house to house. Teach her to shoot it with a very firm grip and the butt stock tucked under her arm. Reliability is the key factor in any home defense firearm.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: AR-15 or other choices? - 11/17/15 03:18 PM

I believe the OP is considering an AR15 to supplement pistols, shotguns and rifles he already has. Since he lives on a country property, I think it wise to have such a rifle to keep threats away from his home at longer ranges than a shotgun or pistol are capable of.

A reliable AR15 with a decent 1-4 or 1-6 scope would be my suggestion.
Posted By: Dien

Re: AR-15 or other choices? - 11/17/15 03:44 PM

8" 300 blackout suppressed or something like a Sig MPX

A regular AR15 going off in a small room might have unintended consequences.

Re: AR-15 or other choices? - 11/17/15 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Fitz
I believe the OP is considering an AR15 to supplement pistols, shotguns and rifles he already has. Since he lives on a country property, I think it wise to have such a rifle to keep threats away from his home at longer ranges than a shotgun or pistol are capable of.

A reliable AR15 with a decent 1-4 or 1-6 scope would be my suggestion.

Yes, this is part of why I'm looking at an AR type rifle. The other reason is that this is what my wife wants and with Christmas coming up quickly, this solves all sorts of things for me. We have plenty of rifles, shotguns and pistols.

Currently I'm looking through rifles at slickguns.com and comparing what's out there. The more I look, the more I read, the more I'm learning.

Thank you
Posted By: catslayer

Re: AR-15 or other choices? - 11/17/15 04:23 PM

A pistol's job is to help me fight my way to a rifle...

Frangible ammo is a yes... light and a 1x scope or red dot...
Posted By: Chris42

Re: AR-15 or other choices? - 11/17/15 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: 30378
A good reliable shotgun is really hard to beat. Projectiles will go room to room but usually not house to house. Teach her to shoot it with a very firm grip and the butt stock tucked under her arm. Reliability is the key factor in any home defense firearm.

A shotgun is going to be as bad or wose in terms of penetration with non-birdshot projectiles.
AR's are easier to shoot in terms of weight and recoil, have more ammo, are less prone to user malfunctions than a pump, are shorter without going NFA. Shotguns can have a more varied ammo selection, may or may not have more lethality in a single shot. Firing multiple projectiles can be considered a plus or a minus (I consider it a minus)

A pistol is more manuverable and easier to conceal. The manuverability is less if you consider SBR or bullpup. That is it. A good rifle is easier to shoot, has more ammo, and more lethal. A rifle (particularly .223) is going to be loud as hell inside.

To answer your question. I'd buy a BCM with a lightweight or their newer ELW (lightweight tapered barrel) or a colt is probbly the cheapest option I'd go to. Adjustable stock. I like the fixed front sights on a serious rifle. Midlength or carbine gas system is personal preference.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum