Texas Hunting Forum

Boyds Stock for my Howa 1500

Posted By: charlesb

Boyds Stock for my Howa 1500 - 11/05/15 06:29 PM

The stock I ordered for my Howa 1500 in .223 arrived today. - I paid a little extra for the "coyote" color scheme and the gloss finish.

Click image to see it larger.

The inletting was outstanding, very sharp. A drop-in fit but also a close fit.

I'm tickled with it, and will be buying more Boyds stocks in the future.

Tonight I'll glass-bed it... Maybe tomorrow afternoon I'll take it out and fire a few rounds.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Boyds Stock for my Howa 1500 - 11/05/15 06:57 PM

That's very nice!!!
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Boyds Stock for my Howa 1500 - 11/05/15 07:58 PM

I like that Coyote Charles I'm still thinking about getting this for my 10FCP because I'll have to channel out the barrel a little.

Re: Boyds Stock for my Howa 1500 - 11/07/15 09:00 PM

I was going to fire off a few this morning but the morning calm did not last, and it got pretty windy. Maybe I can get out a little earlier tomorrow.

Mornings here in the high desert are generally calm for an hour or two after sunrise, but it's also really cold. - I'll have bundle up.
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Boyds Stock for my Howa 1500 - 11/07/15 10:01 PM

I have the Boyds thumb hole on my Remington AAC. I like the color on yours
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Boyds Stock for my Howa 1500 - 11/07/15 10:58 PM

I like it. up
Posted By: Elliot

Re: Boyds Stock for my Howa 1500 - 11/12/15 04:05 PM

Man, I miss my Howa. What an outstanding platform to build off of. Stock looks amazing.

Re: Boyds Stock for my Howa 1500 - 11/12/15 09:50 PM

The gun is closer to being finished now. I got the stock bedded, and the barrel free floating. (It was touching the forearm on the left side, so the barrel channel had to be relieved a bit.)

Now I have to cut 6" off of the barrel so that it will be 18", and give it an 11 degree target crown. Then I will replace the bottom metal with some from PTG that lets it use steel magazines.

Howa offers a kit for use of removable magazines for about 100 bucks, but both the magazines and the 'bottom metal' are plastic, and I'm not ready for a plastic trigger-guard. The Pacific Tool and Guage model offers steel magazines and aluminum bottom metal for the Howa.

- Then when it's done, I get to start over from scratch and build an identical rifle (different color stock) in .308 Winchester.

Howa has a barreled action with a 20" heavy barrel in .308 that will do the job for that. Maybe next time I'll get the 'Zombie' color scheme (Flo green and black) or more likely the camo laminate.

That will complete a three gun set with short, heavy barrels and thumb-hole stocks in 17HMR, .223, and .308.

Here's the 17HMR, a Savage that inspired the other two with its fine accuracy and great handling qualities:

The series will stop at .308, that's about as large a cartridge as can be counted on to behave well with an 18" barrel.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum