Texas Hunting Forum

New Bill Introduced on Suppressors

Posted By: Toxarch

New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/22/15 07:05 PM

There's a new Bill introduced to remove suppressors from the NFA list and treat them as a regular firearm. If passed, any NFA tax paid after today would be refunded. Transfers would be just like buying a gun.

Quote:
Under the terms of the Hearing Protection Act, introduced Thursday with 10 co-sponsors, gone would be the NFA requirements for the devices. Instead, federal law would treat them as firearms which would allow suppressors to transfer through any regular federal firearms license holders to anyone not prohibited from possessing them after the buyer passes an FBI instant background check.

Rather than the lengthy Form 4 process, which can take months, buyers would only have to complete the standard 4473 Form before taking possession.

http://www.guns.com/2015/10/22/bill-introduced-to-remove-suppressors-from-nfa-regulation/
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/22/15 07:09 PM

Sweet, hope it doesn't get killed.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/22/15 07:16 PM

Of course, right after I order 4.... sick
Posted By: J.G.

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/22/15 07:23 PM

Government is going to give away $200 for each suppressor, I doubt it.

Be great if it does happen. I've been wanting .22 lr and .45 suppressors.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/22/15 07:34 PM

That is awesome, I don't think anything firearms related should be regulated, but in particular suppressors and short barreled rifles should be taken off the list.

I believe in some other places like England of all places you can buy suppressors in hardware stores.

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/22/15 07:48 PM

Didn't England outlaw guns? Not sure they'd need suppressors without guns.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/22/15 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Exactly, the only way something like this would pass is still having the tax stamp attached to it, but without the Form 4 wait. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't particularly like having to shell out an extra 200 bucks, but if I can walk out with my suppressor that day I'll gladly pay it.

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/22/15 07:53 PM

Well I meant UK, but they're still pretty hard to get. One of the post on that link says it actually illegal to hunt without a suppressor in the UK, and considered rude in most of Europe to shoot a gun without a suppressor.
Posted By: East

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/22/15 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Sweet, hope it doesn't get killed.
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/22/15 08:34 PM

Lets hope and pray it comes to pass. All the bs of govt paper waste is whats held me back.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/22/15 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal
That is awesome, I don't think anything firearms related should be regulated, but in particular suppressors and short barreled rifles should be taken off the list.

I believe in some other places like England of all places you can buy suppressors in hardware stores.

Used one in Scotland a couple of weeks ago for the first time. On a .243. Before I was skeptical, but, they are the bomb.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/22/15 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Toxarch
Didn't England outlaw guns? Not sure they'd need suppressors without guns.

They outlawed handguns. And rifles are extremely regulated. We don't want that. A cop got killed trying to tazer the tires out of a stolen pickup the last week I was there.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/22/15 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

Used one in Scotland a couple of weeks ago for the first time. On a .243. Before I was skeptical, but, they are the bomb.

Same here. The most fun I've had while shooting anything was with one
Posted By: JTPinTX

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/22/15 09:13 PM

I seriously doubt it will pass. Don't get me wrong, I would love for it to. But when have you EVER seen the government give up control over a process or voluntarily lose the income from it? Especially one this deeply entrenched? Ain't gonna happen.

I'll be ordering my Spectre II here in the next few weeks and I won't even bat an eye about this deal. What is way more likely to happen is they do the NFA reform they have been talking about for the last year and require LEO sign off even with a trust. That is why I am not waiting on the Spectre II. I am getting everything I can afford now. My Harvester cleared a few weeks ago and my Omega should hopefully clear late Nov.

Buy early, buy often, that is my motto.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/22/15 10:25 PM

Hoorah for the common man. Attorneys may try to kill this since it would cut into one of their little enclaves.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/22/15 10:32 PM

I just don't want to have to carry around my papers whenever I take my suppressor out...

I'll be praying that this passes!
Posted By: syncerus

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/22/15 11:36 PM

We can't be this lucky. But I certainly hope so!

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/23/15 12:04 AM

Originally Posted By: JTPinTX
But when have you EVER seen the government give up control over a process or voluntarily lose the income from it? Especially one this deeply entrenched?

Enacting prohibition made them lose control. grin
Posted By: huntwest

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/23/15 01:41 AM

Obama will veto anything that has to do with more freedoms with anything firearm related.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/23/15 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

Exactly, the only way something like this would pass is still having the tax stamp attached to it, but without the Form 4 wait. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't particularly like having to shell out an extra 200 bucks, but if I can walk out with my suppressor that day I'll gladly pay it.
I just don't want the crazies getting cans. Never know what they're gonna do.

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/23/15 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: chital_shikari

Go sit in the corner youngin
Posted By: Cleric

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/23/15 02:51 AM

Go sit in the corner youngin

I think every responsible gun owner should not want a person getting guns or cans who is not in the right mind

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/23/15 02:56 AM

Obviously we don't want guns or cans to get in the hands of criminals, but making the rest of the lawabiding citizens jump through silly hoops and paying extra money for something that helps save our hearing later in life is just stupid. Same with new gun laws they only work on lawabiding citizens not the criminals.

When is the last time a suppressor has been used to murder someone? In the USA or over seas where you can buy them in hardware stores?
Posted By: syncerus

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/23/15 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Cleric
I think every responsible citizen should not want a person walking the streets who is not in his right mind

FIFY.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/23/15 03:00 AM

Obviously we don't want guns or cans to get in the hands of criminals, but making the rest of the lawabiding citizens jump through silly hoops and paying extra money for something that helps save our hearing later in life is just stupid. Same with new gun laws they only work on lawabiding citizens not the criminals.

When is the last time a suppressor has been used to murder someone? In the USA or over seas where you can buy them in hardware stores?

Some might argue that the cost of ownsership and hoops make them less available and therefore used less

But I agree making it harder for people to legally squire them is not right

But telling someone to sit in the corner who says someone who is not mentally stable should
Not have guns portray gun owners in a bad light.

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/23/15 03:03 AM

That's why I also added the rest of the world where you can buy them in hardware stores. They are demonized because of Hollywood and idiots that don't understand what they actually do.

Saying stuff like oh I just don't want to see crazies get ahold of them sounds just like the dems when they talk about gun control. Oh we Don't need 30 round mags or "assault weapons" because crazies might get their hands on them. "Responsible gun owners" don't need to regurgitate what they hear the gun grabbers say on TV.

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/23/15 03:05 AM

By the way I'm in no way calling you nor the youngin an idiot, talking about the Antigun people.
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/23/15 04:35 AM

Crazies will get ahold of anything they want !! Dont punish us over crazy people !!

Do we punish beer drinkers for people who cause dui and take lives??

Let the can be free!!! A can has never killed anyone!
Posted By: tth_40

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/23/15 05:17 AM

This.

It'd be a great thing, I just don't realistically see it happening. ESPECIALLY in this polarized political world we are currently in.

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/23/15 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: daniel1381
Crazies will get ahold of anything they want !! Dont punish us over crazy people !!

Do we punish beer drinkers for people who cause dui and take lives??

Let the can be free!!! A can has never killed anyone!

Exactly blunt objects (hammers ect.) kills more people a year than rifles. I rather not see a hammer in the hand of a crazy person. Do we punish builders and general contractors? Do we make them pay a stupid $200 tax on every single hammer they own?

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/23/15 12:45 PM

I can't even find statistics on suppressor deaths in the US or worldwide seems like a non issue to me.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/23/15 12:54 PM

Well I meant UK, but they're still pretty hard to get. One of the post on that link says it actually illegal to hunt without a suppressor in the UK, and considered rude in most of Europe to shoot a gun without a suppressor.

Wikipedia - Suppressors

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/23/15 01:03 PM

Wow, if caught in Pakistan with a suppressor you face life in prison? They have terrorist all over the country with who knows what munition wise and they will give you life in prison for something that doesn't make a gun, or person rather anymore deadly.. :smdh:

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/23/15 01:27 PM

A thread on poachers caught in Texas is in the Open Huning section. They were caught with a home made suppressor. Poachers are going to use suppressors no matter what the law reads. Making strict laws only affects law abiding citizens, same as any other gun law.
Posted By: JTPinTX

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/23/15 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: JTPinTX
But when have you EVER seen the government give up control over a process or voluntarily lose the income from it? Especially one this deeply entrenched?

Enacting prohibition made them lose control. grin

OK, so there is that. But once they saw the error of their ways they crawfished on that deal.

Maybe I should modify it to say in the last 25 years? All I know is that seems like every day they are findng a new way to get into my pocketbook. I don't see them giving one up.
Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/23/15 06:08 PM

Bill tracker. Noticed our own Texan, John Carter, is one of the ten co-sponsors. There's even sponsors from CA & NY! There's no logical, sane reason why this law shouldn't pass.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/3799/cosponsors
Posted By: tj5

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/23/15 06:24 PM

Only way i see this passing is the gov can still get to there 200 bucks
So to say your 600 suppressor will still cost you 800
Only up turn is you get to walk out the door with it
And i dont see that as a bad thing couse your going to pay it any how
and you dont have to pay for a trust and will it to your kids
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/23/15 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Dodge_Rock
Bill tracker. Noticed our own Texan, John Carter, is one of the ten co-sponsors. There's even sponsors from CA & NY! There's no logical, sane reason why this law shouldn't pass.

...don't hold your breath! Remember the gov't is not going to give up revenue at $200 a pop! If anything it might be just the opposite...they can go ahead and put them in the same category as a firearm and still charge the $200 tax! Now if Hillary wins office...well, we already know what her plans are!

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/23/15 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Dodge_Rock

I've learned not to try to apply "logic" and "reason" to anything in politics. Governments big and small don't use those two things.

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/23/15 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: tj5
Only way i see this passing is the gov can still get to there 200 bucks
So to say your 600 suppressor will still cost you 800
Only up turn is you get to walk out the door with it
And i dont see that as a bad thing couse your going to pay it any how
and you dont have to pay for a trust and will it to your kids

Honestly, this alone would be a huge win. No I don't like paying the tax but if we can gain anything at this point I would like to be able to not have to do form 4's. The wait is way worse than the $200 tax stamp. There is virtually no scenario where I see the govt giving up that funding so I think this is the 2nd best we can ask for.
Posted By: 30378

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/24/15 01:32 AM

The demand would be huge and manufacturers would be swamped with orders. Bring it!!
Posted By: kry226

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/24/15 05:21 AM

I'm sure the government spends more than $200 in man-hours and overhead processing all the forms and checking trusts, etc. I find it hard to believe they're making any money. I expect removing suppressors from the NFA will actually save money.

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/24/15 12:36 PM

You think they are going to lay off employees and close facilities they don't use as much as they were?

Do you actually know how the government operates? smile

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/24/15 04:19 PM

You think they are going to lay off employees and close facilities they don't use as much as they were?

Do you actually know how the government operates? smile

No. I have no idea how the government operates. grin
Posted By: wtjim

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/24/15 07:45 PM

It's about time someone authored this. I don't believe the gov't will allow the fee(tax) to go away though...
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/25/15 12:54 AM

I will gripe and moan and hate paying a $200 tax but if this passes and no stupid trust or form 4 then I will be the first in line to pay it!!

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/25/15 04:20 AM

Originally Posted By: kry226
I'm sure the government spends more than $200 in man-hours and overhead processing all the forms and checking trusts, etc. I find it hard to believe they're making any money. I expect removing suppressors from the NFA will actually save money.

I bet less than 10 mins of manpower total is used to review a trust and I'm being generous, it is more than likely 5. I still don't understand what after an initial submission the timelines aren't expedited. Wtf changed since the last time I submitted.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/25/15 04:46 AM

If "crazies" need a supressor, that means they already have access to the device that actually fires the bullets. You know, a gun. That's one of the dumbest comments I've ever read on THF. And that's saying a lot. hammer

Re: New Bill Introduced on Suppressors - 10/25/15 05:24 AM

I bet less than 10 mins of manpower total is used to review a trust and I'm being generous, it is more than likely 5. I still don't understand what after an initial submission the timelines aren't expedited. Wtf changed since the last time I submitted.

You assume competence by submitters. Do you know how many applications are returned and letters sent for corrections? How many muldoons keep calling asking when their check is going to be cashed? Calling to check on their status? How many questions are asked and answered via letter? Trusts are evaluated for sufficiency by a legal section. Lawyers are not paid the same wages as the rest of the GS cronies. There's a lot more to processing an application than "processing an application".
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum