Texas Hunting Forum

leverguns

Posted By: Dustnsand

leverguns - 10/20/15 02:26 AM

So I don't think I can take it any longer. I've been wanting a 357/38 lever gun for years now and am about to pull the trigger and get one. Problem is picking one and then finding it.

I'm not wanting a Henry or Rossi. That leaves mainly Winchester, Uberti, or Marlin. Which one would you pick? Are the new Marlins or Winchester's good to go or find a JM or pre Japanese Winchester.

Then, who knows where I can find one. It's looking like it's going to have to be an online buy because other than Rossi or Henry I haven't seen one
Posted By: kmon11

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 02:33 AM

By far one of my favorite rifles is a Marlin 1894LTDSS in 357 Mag. It is one of 250 made by Marlin from the JM days. Could be happy though with any of the JM 357s but will say the Cowboy was a little heavier than I liked.

Inside 125 yards I am as confident in the little 357 with a good bullet as I am with any gun I own.

The JM Marlins showup on GunBroker pretty often.

Good luck with the quest
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 02:55 AM

A marlin with a polished action is a thing of beauty in a pistol round. If you buy a new Marlin, make dang sure you check the front sight to see if it is on crooked. I bought a new Marlin recently, and the front sight was so far off I had to use a scope.
Posted By: T Bone

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 03:09 AM

It's addicting, that's for dang sure.. I have 2 Marlin 1894's, a Cowboy in 44mag & a really nice carbine in 357 circa 1980.. Both wear Skinner peeps & are an absolute pleasure to shoot.. Neither were cheap as the JM's (specifically the 357's) are high right now..

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 03:11 AM

Tons of good info on Marlinowners.com
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 03:13 AM

I'd try to find a jm Marlin if I was in the market.

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 03:39 AM

The Marlin is the way I've been leaning as I've had two and enjoyed both. Went ahead and registered for gunbroker since that may be the easiest way to go
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 05:31 AM

I like the Winchesters. I had a Rossi 92 copy and it shot very well.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 10:38 AM

I got it bad too. Trouble is I can't quite swing four digits for the Marlin.

I'll probably end up with a Rossi as long as it's 20+ years old....and blue.....and NOT a short barrel or big loop.

Good luck.
Posted By: JCB

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 10:46 AM

In my opinion the Marlin is a better more solid built gun. The Winchester is a better point and shoot gun for me though. They handle almost like a shotgun.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 11:17 AM

I've had several JM Marlins in .357 and 44 mag. I think the 1894 is my favorite lever action. I've handled one of the newer REP Marlins and found it lacking in every area. specifically fit and finish was awful. The JM marlin is also far more accurate than REP example that I shot that day.

I would not discount the Rossi 92 off hand. I'm a first rate Rossi hater based on their single shot rifles and a few other cheap offerings but the 92 I have in 45 colt is an awesome little gun. It is stainless and has a 16" barrel. It stays on the front of the 4 wheeler and usually has more grit in it than the dirt road. The 92 action is very reliable and the little sucker is accurate. The 92 action is also the strongest on the market for handloaders.

If you might like the 92 action and not the Rossi look at the browning 92. An excellent weapon to be sure.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 11:40 AM

OK, now you have done went and flung a craving on me.....
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 12:30 PM

I've got a lot of lever guns and my walking around gun is a pre-safety Rossi 357 with an 18" barrel. Since you're set against a Rossi my second choice would be a pre-safety Winchester Trapper then a pre-safety micro-groove Marlin 1894.

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 01:25 PM

Well I may just have to buy one of each roflmao

I do love the look of the 73's and replicas but I've always shot Marlin's and they are a little cheaper for a pre safety.

I've had a 357/38 revolver since I graduated HS which is why I want the matching rifle. Looking at them though is giving me the urge to start buying more leverguns. There's just something fun about them

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 01:55 PM

I'm trying to convince myself I don't need this. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=504695001

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
I'm trying to convince myself I don't need this. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=504695001

Why in the hell did you post that? realmad I never even thought about getting one in a pistol round. Now I need a 357 mag, as well as a .45, and .40 hammer

That is awesome though. I'm going to have to add that to the list
Posted By: janie

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 02:52 PM

I'm partial to the Winchester's, but if funds were available for the Marlin I'd snap it up like a fat kid on twinkies.

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: z71dustin
Originally Posted By: TexFlip

Why in the hell did you post that? realmad I never even thought about getting one in a pistol round. Now I need a 357 mag, as well as a .45, and .40 hammer

That is awesome though. I'm going to have to add that to the list

If money wasn't an object.
http://www.grizzlycustom.com/custom_lever_action_rifle_backpacker_sbr_package.html
Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 04:09 PM

I'd get a marlin stainless with laminate wood if they make one. I had a 45-70 like that before. To bad I traded it.

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: SpoonPlatoon
I'd get a marlin stainless with laminate wood if they make one. I had a 45-70 like that before. To bad I traded it.

I remember that gun grin

I wish I'd of never got rid of it either. I'm going to have to eventually get another one
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 04:47 PM

X2 on the Rossi trapper.
Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: z71dustin
Originally Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

I remember that gun grin

I wish I'd of never got rid of it either. I'm going to have to eventually get another one

Same here
Posted By: texjam

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 09:57 PM

Marlin is the only way to go. Start pawn shopping and you'll find a clean one still at a good price. Nothing newer than a '90's year would be good. Have found many 336 3030's, 3 .35 rems, 4 .357's and one .44 mag.
Great shooters and killers. I trigger gauged the 6 I have. All around 6 lbs. Gonna change that soon with after market triggers to about 3.5 lbs.
marlinowners.com has lot's of info.
Posted By: Ringman

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 11:09 PM

Took a Uberti and Kimber on trade. Ended up selling the Kimber and kept the Uberti.
Really well made and fun to shoot. Only issue is that it is 45 LC. Hard to find ammo - I guess from all the Judge type pistols on the market.
Posted By: JCB

Re: leverguns - 10/20/15 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Ringman
Took a Uberti and Kimber on trade. Ended up selling the Kimber and kept the Uberti.
Really well made and fun to shoot. Only issue is that it is 45 LC. Hard to find ammo - I guess from all the Judge type pistols on the market.

If you ever make it to the DFW area try looking at Cabelas. I was there today and they probably had 8 different loads to choose from with some being as cheap as $30 for 50 rounds.
Posted By: Treinta-Treinta

Re: leverguns - 10/21/15 02:24 AM

Dustin,

The Winchester 1873 is the best of the bunch if you don't wanna scope it, that would be a sin. Don't sweat the Jap thing, they are great craftsmen.

Don't be afraid of the 1894 Winnie but they can have snags. The Win 94 is like the "AK" of the old west, it rattles and eats dirt, but works.

I'm sure many here will debate it. The Marlin 94 leaves a lot to be desired mechanically with several types of jams probable. If you have a "Widdermatic" action job done, you'll have a top notch lever gun. Being new to levers as I think you might be, I hope you steer clear of the Marlin 94, "JM" or not. Do not confuse the 94 action with the 336/1895, there are some small differences on a couple of parts that can make your experience hell.

The Rossi 92 can be a great gun too, especially if Steve Young down in South Texas gets a hold of it.

Consider a Browning 1892 (IF) you can find one.

The Spaghetti versions are pretty good too, Cimarron, Stoeger, Uberti, taylors, and so forth.

The Henry is sound.

Feel free to visit stevesgunzdotcom and do a search for widdermatic. If the Marlin 94 is the route you choose, take a look at rangerpointprecision of texas, they might can do some "things".

Re: leverguns - 10/21/15 02:41 AM

There will not be a scope on it. I carry a Marlin 30-30 in my truck every day and owned a marlin 45-70 and always liked them which is why Marlin was one of my choices. I hope to find both of them at a gun show this weekend and actually handle them to pick one

Re: leverguns - 10/21/15 02:45 AM

I here ya brother, like I said above, not the exact same workings

Re: leverguns - 10/21/15 02:47 AM

If you are wanting something handy with the option to get it straightened out (If) you have a problem, I'd just get a Rossi 92.

The Marlin 336/95 action is great!

All of the pistol caliber rifles have another problem...You might have to go through a buttload of diff ammo to find what it likes, and 7 times outta ten, it ain't the load you wanted to shoot. The 44 is the worst of the bunch in this regard.

I know you have a levergun now, would you consider the Ruger 77/357 bolt action? Its a better brush gun than any levergun, maybe even mine. My favorite Marlin weighs 6lb 5oz with scope and 16" barrel.

Re: leverguns - 10/21/15 02:57 AM

I had seen a few threads about people talking about trying to find the ammo it likes but hadn't done much looking. I do really like the looks of the 1873 more than any others.

Re: leverguns - 10/21/15 02:59 AM

Just don't pick it up, you might be hooked!

I'm not trying to push the Rossi but they can be low cost, trouble free, working guns.
Posted By: bull279

Re: leverguns - 10/21/15 03:23 AM

My dad has a Winchester 1894 that was made in 1912. The thing still fires and cycles like a jewel. Real good guns. I was looking at a Marlin for the .308MX.
Posted By: BushFamilyNine

Re: leverguns - 10/21/15 04:38 AM

The lever addiction once started will never end... You will need another safe or two just for them. Find a quality lever gun and you have an heirloom that your descendants will be using.

My next toy will probably be a lever gun in 45LC.

Re: leverguns - 10/21/15 11:54 AM

Originally Posted By: BushFamilyNine
The lever addiction once started will never end... You will need another safe or two just for them.

Truth.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: leverguns - 10/21/15 01:37 PM

TexFlip you da man! up

Sounds like you are broadening your parameters. If you handle a pre-64 Winchester lever gun of just about any stripe, I believe you will forget about anything else. I have toted all kinds of rifles for over 45 years - nothing feels as natural to me as carrying a pre-64 Winchester levergun. Nothing.

Re: leverguns - 10/21/15 02:05 PM

The more I look the more I like the looks of the 1873 but the new winchesters on gunbroker are pretty pricey. The Taylor's are sharp and a bit cheaper. What's the difference in Taylor, Uberti, and Win? I say new because that's just what's on there right now
Posted By: charlesb

Re: leverguns - 10/21/15 02:30 PM

The Winchesters are made in Japan, the rest are Italian-made.

The Italian made guns are excellent, the Japanese made guns are the best.

The ones made in South America are hit or miss... Some are good right out of the box, some need a bit of work but will slick up nicely if you put a little extra time and money into them.

Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: leverguns - 10/21/15 04:30 PM

Another option for ya to consider: Marlin 336Y
I too started down your path, and after much research and consideration ended up snapping up a good deal on a 336Y chambered in 30-30.
Edit: the Y is the COMPACT version 16" bbl and 33" overall! also called a 'youth', but it is full 336 shortened.
Couldn't be more happy - got my compact lever (16.5"bbl), high quality, and a fraction of price of pistol caliber.
I easily load pistol-equivalent light loads in 30-30,
AND have the option to carry FULL-Power LeverEvolution loads to decimate piggies at any distance. try that with pistol caliber!
Best of both worlds! Accuracy is much better than pistol cartridges, definitely more powerful, and a way more versatile option.

Posted By: Choctaw

Re: leverguns - 10/21/15 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Ringman

I reload for 45 Colt so that isn't an issue. In a good strong action such as a 92, 45 Colt can level just about anything.

Re: leverguns - 10/21/15 04:48 PM

All good advice.

It is hard to beat a 16" Marlin 336 30-30 and plain old 150 grainers when compared to an average pistol caliber.

Re: leverguns - 10/21/15 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000
Another option for ya to consider: Marlin 336Y
I too started down your path, and after much research and consideration ended up snapping up a good deal on a 336Y chambered in 30-30.
Couldn't be more happy - got my compact lever (16.5"bbl), high quality, and a fraction of price of pistol caliber.
I easily load pistol-equivalent light loads in 30-30,
AND have the option to carry FULL-Power LeverEvolution loads to decimate piggies. try that with pistol chamber!
Best of both worlds! Accuracy is much better than pistol cartridges, definitely more powerful, and a way more versatile option.

I've got the 30-30. I'm set on a 357 since I've got a revolver in 357/38.

Re: leverguns - 10/21/15 05:01 PM

I went to try and find one at a gun shop about a year ago along with a sig 938 and left with a Dan Wesson 1911 roflmao I'm set on finding and getting one now
Posted By: Navasot

Re: leverguns - 10/21/15 05:02 PM

Marlin... cant go wrong
Posted By: vanguard

Re: leverguns - 10/21/15 05:06 PM

killed my first deer with a turdy turdy, that was over 30 years ago since then i went all the way around the clock as far as calibers, did the magnum thing, got caught up in the bc sd mentality, did the classic, the laminate and the thumbhole thing, but now ive come full circle and back to where it all started, it was about hunting. took my biggest deer 2 years ago with my new rossi and god willing im gonna get and even bigger one this year i have my eye on, with the same gun. she now sports a scope as my eyes are now failing me. this rossi truly amazed me how good it shoots, it will do an inch at 100 with 170 gr factory fodder. went to the range the other day and she put it a 1/2 " low of dead center so i put it right back in the case.

Posted By: vanguard

Re: leverguns - 10/21/15 05:14 PM

my son got this one last year with the same gun after sporting a scope. the turdy turdy always get berrated and i was guilty of doing it as well. after using it again its no slouch, that big round slow moving bullet sits them on their butt and leaves big holes.

Posted By: poisonivie

Re: leverguns - 10/21/15 06:50 PM

They'll all knock em down. I have several 30-30's but I also have a soft spot for pistol caliber leverguns. I shoot 600 fps mousefart loads out of my 45lc but also have some loaded up to lower end 45-70 loads.
Posted By: TexasVine

Re: leverguns - 10/22/15 04:29 AM

I have a 1894 Marlin and a 1873 Uberti (Codymatic) in 357 mag and both are fabulous rifles. The Marlin is an 18.5" and is very easy to handle and a dream to shoot. The Uberti is a 20" octagon barrel I use primarily for CAS. The Uberti's are a little easier to come by than the JM stamped Marlins in 357 mag.The Marlin and Uberti were both worked on and are smooth as silk. I have traded many pieces in the past but these two will always be with me. A good lever gun is just plain ole Heaven to shoot.

Re: leverguns - 10/22/15 07:48 PM

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=516253098

I love the look of this gun.

Re: leverguns - 10/25/15 10:38 PM

Well update to the thread. Went to the gun show Saturday and was almost to to end and ran into a guy carrying a Marlin 1894cb. It was in good shape and a good price so I couldn't say no. I still love the 1873 but I can buy two of what I bought for one 73. I will eventually have a 73 though.

We went and shot after that yesterday and I was very impressed. It's a tack driver and ate every type of 38 or 357 I fed it with no issues. Tons of fun to shoot

Re: leverguns - 10/26/15 12:41 AM

You found an 1894 cowboy in 357.... Score!!

Love my octagon barrel 44mag but a 357 is even more desirable..
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: leverguns - 10/26/15 12:57 AM

Dang
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum