Texas Hunting Forum

New Weatherby Caliber

Posted By: huntwest

New Weatherby Caliber - 10/09/15 09:30 PM

For the first time in 17 years Weatherby is coming out with a new hit rod.
6.5x300 WBY. It shoots a 130 grain bullet 130 FPS faster than 26 Nosler and a 140 grain 101 faster.
It will be in an Accumark to start.
They also have reworked the MK V action and trigger and the triggers are very crisp and will come set between 3 and 3.2 lbs. with no creep.
The trigger on a MK V has long been a sticking point with Weatherby users and now they one of the best on a production gun.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/09/15 09:39 PM

And a barrel burner...
Posted By: 603Country

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/09/15 09:40 PM

I'll just stick with my Tikka 260. If I need more grunt than that, I'll drag out the 270.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/09/15 09:44 PM

Pass.

Gonna be too expensive anyway, Weatherby calibers always have been. Too proprietary for me, anyway.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/09/15 09:54 PM

I think .264 Win Mag is about the limit in terms of practicality in that caliber. Much good can be said of the 6.5-06 and its AI offspring, too. To me the .264 reaches just about the point of diminishing returns, but that's purely subjective. If a guy wants a 6.5 powered by 120 grains of powder, then he should have it. If he likes the little .260 Remington then he should have that. Between 6.5-300 and .260, I think I'd choose the .260. Maybe if I was 5'5" I might want the Weatherby.
farmer

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/09/15 09:56 PM

So if this is going to be a barrel burner why isn't a 26 nosler?
The idea here was to make a caliber to compete with the 26 nosler. They made one which is a little faster and shoots a little flatter.
The ammo for this will be almost the same as the 26 nosler factory ammo. So it apples to apples.
Guys who want a hot hot 6.5 have another choice now.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/09/15 10:01 PM

The great thing about America is that we are allowed to vote with our wallets. If you want a .30-378 then go for it. If you want a 7mm RUM, then go for it. If you want a 6.5 Weatherby, then go for it. If you want a .35 Remington, then go for it.

smile
Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/09/15 10:04 PM

Does this new cartridge have that goofy rounded shoulder?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/09/15 10:14 PM

popcorn
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/09/15 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua
Does this new cartridge have that goofy rounded shoulder?

And a belt. Good thing gunsmiths know how to cut chambers

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/09/15 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: huntwest
So if this is going to be a barrel burner why isn't a 26 nosler?
The idea here was to make a caliber to compete with the 26 nosler. They made one which is a little faster and shoots a little flatter.
The ammo for this will be almost the same as the 26 nosler factory ammo. So it apples to apples.
Guys who want a hot hot 6.5 have another choice now.

cheers
Posted By: 505ed

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/09/15 10:24 PM

Yep too extream for me too...if it would have been a necked down 270 WBY then...ok maybe, but then again it would have been just another hot 6.5...

Good for weatherby! I will be shooting my 6.5-284,6.5 creedmoor, and 6.5 Grendel....and enjoy myself....

Ed

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/09/15 10:26 PM

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/09/15 10:46 PM

26 nosler is a barrel burner.
These makers have to make the next big thing and the weatherby name sells
Posted By: rifleman

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/09/15 10:49 PM

They're kind of late to that party.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/09/15 11:00 PM

If you got the cash-- and some do, who cares, buy it. The argument that it's not needed doesn't fly. Nothing is much needed over a 12 gauge or a 30-06? But, there are very few guys on here that don't have tons of guns. Some of it is, I saw it, I wanted it, I bought it--nothing else matters.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/09/15 11:29 PM

Haters taz
Posted By: Regular Guy

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 12:08 AM

I think it's kinda cool. I agree, if you like it then buy it. Nothing else matters.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 12:36 AM

Like the others have said if you like it buy it. I agree with RiverRider the 264WM has about all the case capacity I want in a 6.5 caliber. Have one of those that I rarely shoot these days.
Posted By: 10ring

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 12:38 AM

Just a question, how many here using modern ammo and rifles have "shot out" a magnum rifle barrel? I imagine a few probably have but every time a new hot rod rifle caliber comes out some of the first comments are "it's going to be a barrel burner" the same comments were used during the introduction of the .264mag among others from back in the day using different alloys of steel and powders that weren't nearly as efficient and probably did burn some barrels out. I've shot the .264win pushing hot loads for years and years with no noticeable loss of accuracy or barrel damage. I run a bore scope down it every so often and I can only notice maybe the slightest bit of erosion. I think the 26 Weatherby round is probably a good introduction for them considering all of the love of the 26 caliber over the last few years.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 12:45 AM

peep I've shot out a .260 Rem.

And am halfway through a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 12:46 AM

The 264 I have still shoots a little over MOA but can see erosion without a bore scope, and can feel roughness when running a patch through it. If I wanted to use it for long range would screw a new barrel on it.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: 10ring
Just a question, how many here using modern ammo and rifles have "shot out" a magnum rifle barrel? I imagine a few probably have but every time a new hot rod rifle caliber comes out some of the first comments are "it's going to be a barrel burner" the same comments were used during the introduction of the .264mag among others from back in the day using different alloys of steel and powders that weren't nearly as efficient and probably did burn some barrels out. I've shot the .264win pushing hot loads for years and years with no noticeable loss of accuracy or barrel damage. I run a bore scope down it every so often and I can only notice maybe the slightest bit of erosion. I think the 26 Weatherby round is probably a good introduction for them considering all of the love of the 26 caliber over the last few years.

This is how I see it as well. Most of us don't get out and shoot THAT much. Fireman here has his own range and gives instruction using his own guns, and only mentions one gun with a shot out barrel- and one on the way. A guy like myself, probably will not shoot the barrel out on a gun in a lifetime. More than likely, before that happens, I'll get a new rifle that'll become the favorite for awhile. At least until the next one comes!

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 03:19 AM

Good question and I can tell you for a fact that Weatherby has has exactly 7 30-378 rifles come back in17 years with a burned out barrel. I am not saying that super speed calibers don't burn out barrels, they do. But 99% of the people that buy these rifles hunt with them and might put 25 rounds through one a year.
That is why the ammo price argument usually doesn't hold water, so you spend 100.00 on a box of ammo a year, that is the cheapest cost of all of your hunting.
Posted By: pertnear

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 03:54 AM

Also, let's not forget that "shot-out" is a relative term. Is that when your normal 1 MOA rifle opens up to 1.5. 2, 2.5, or 3 MOA? I once shot out (by my standards) a Rem 700 .270 Win. I called it "shot out" because the throat/leade was gone an inch or so up the barrel. I could not seat a bullet that touched the rifling. Yet that rifle could keep 10 or more shots under 2" at a 100yds & most grouped under 1.5". Good enough for "long range" (another relative term) deer hunting. When I first got the rifle & tuned it up, it was a consistent 1 MOA & under rig.

JIMHO...

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 04:35 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

How many was rounds is that???

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 04:41 AM

I have shot out one barrel in my life...it was a 25-06, in a Ruger 77..I bought it second hand...when I was shooting a bunch. I put maybe 1200 rounds thru it...don't know how many before, probably 200-300 before me. I have a friend in Germany, that runs the shooting cinema at Blaser...they have a 8x57 barrel that has over 6,000 rounds thru it...it will still hold MOA...good barrel, or good steel quality I guess...

Ed
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 05:04 AM

For the first time in 17 years Weatherby is coming out with a new hit rod.
6.5x300 WBY. It shoots a 130 grain bullet 130 FPS faster than 26 Nosler and a 140 grain 101 faster.
It will be in an Accumark to start.
They also have reworked the MK V action and trigger and the triggers are very crisp and will come set between 3 and 3.2 lbs. with no creep.
The trigger on a MK V has long been a sticking point with Weatherby users and now they one of the best on a production gun.

So Weatherby finally did what Weatherby fans have been saying for years. We've always wanted them to neck down the 300 case to 7mm, 270 and 6,5, it only took them 60 year's to get the message.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 10:47 AM

It seems like a natural.

Long-range shooting is popular, and 6.5's are popular...

Weatherby is famous for being the biggest and the baddest.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: 505ed

2500 on the .260 Rem, and I have 1200 on the 6.5 Creedmoor. That is because if a person wants to be proficient at shooting distance then they need to practice, so I practice.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 01:12 PM

2500 on the .260 Rem, and I have 1200 on the 6.5 Creedmoor. That is because if a person wants to be proficient at shooting distance then they need to practice, so I practice.

You might want to think about QPQ i(melonite) your barrels..it will make them last 2x 3x longer if you do that much shooting...$150 worth of QPQ could save you a little longer on a $400 dollar barrel, with another $300 worth of gunsmithing...

Ed

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 01:19 PM

Some people predict the barrel life at less than 800-900 for this new round, in some circumstances...

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 01:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Cleric
Some people predict the barrel life at less than 800-900 for this new round, in some circumstances...

Who are some people?

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 01:30 PM

Who are some people?

Well our resident reloader expert and some of the people that reviewed the gun and spoke with wetherby about it

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 01:30 PM

Not a problem for me, I doubt any of my Weatherby's will see 200 rounds before I die. Considering my age a new 6.5-300 will see well less than 100 rounds.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 01:31 PM

I will prolly shoot my weatherby 3-4 times a year so it's gonna take me 200 years to wear it out

Imo this round makes more sense than the .270 and 7mm wby mags

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 01:35 PM

You can shoot out a barrel on a 22-250 in a day on a prairie dog town if the shooting is fast and you do not let the barrel cool down.

Heat is a big factor in shooting out a barrel, cool it off between each series of shots and the barrel will last a lot longer. Generally the more powder burned relative the bore size the faster a barrel will heat up.

The way most will shoot a big overbore round like the new one from Weatherby is slow fire and if allowed to cool between say 3 shot groups the higher the round count will be before accuracy degrades if it ever does for the owner.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 01:43 PM

140's and 130's don't excite me but something in 100 or 95 damn sure would. A 100 grain Nosler Partition would be most excellent.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: 603Country
I'll just stick with my Tikka 260. If I need more grunt than that, I'll drag out the 270.

At 400 yards I'd say the 6.5-300 will be traveling as fast as your 260 does at the barrel.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 02:05 PM

I've never had any variety of 6.5 so I just had a 26 Nosler built. It will be a hunting rifle and not a frequent paper puncher. I'm 61 years old so I'm pretty sure that the barrel will outlast me!
Posted By: pertnear

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 02:21 PM

Just a question, how many here using modern ammo and rifles have "shot out" a magnum rifle barrel? …

I have shot out one barrel in my life...it was a 25-06, in a Ruger 77..

I understand that target accuracy can dictate a barrel’s life. Benchrest shooters scrap a barrel when it begins to open up a few tenths of an inch.

I’m not trying to be critical, just curious, but what makes a person decide the barrel is shot out? Especially on a hunting round, like a Weatherby. If you had a Rem 700 7mm Mag in beautiful shape but with 2,500 rounds through it & it shot 2” groups, would you sell it to a hunting buddy? Heavily discount it? Give fair warning?
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 02:53 PM

If it couldn't do better than 2" groups I'd rebarrel it.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 03:06 PM

So...let's see if I understand this caliber and its usage. It's for long range shooting (traveling as fast at 400 as my poor little 260 is at the muzzle, per HwyMan), but it's probably only going to be shot a couple of times per year by the folks that buy it. How will that help them be proficient with the rifle and cartridge? Maybe they'll practice with a 260.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 03:34 PM

So...let's see if I understand this caliber and its usage. It's for long range shooting (traveling as fast at 400 as my poor little 260 is at the muzzle, per HwyMan), but it's probably only going to be shot a couple of times per year by the folks that buy it. How will that help them be proficient with the rifle and cartridge? Maybe they'll practice with a 260.

Exactly my thinking.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: pertnear
Just a question, how many here using modern ammo and rifles have "shot out" a magnum rifle barrel? …

I have shot out one barrel in my life...it was a 25-06, in a Ruger 77..

I understand that target accuracy can dictate a barrel’s life. Benchrest shooters scrap a barrel when it begins to open up a few tenths of an inch.

I’m not trying to be critical, just curious, but what makes a person decide the barrel is shot out? Especially on a hunting round, like a Weatherby. If you had a Rem 700 7mm Mag in beautiful shape but with 2,500 rounds through it & it shot 2” groups, would you sell it to a hunting buddy? Heavily discount it? Give fair warning?

Complete loss of consistency. A rifle that used to put five in half an inch at 100, went to 2". I sold the entire rifle and told the buy the barrel is done, it needs a new barrel. He took my word for it and said he would have it rebarreled. Course not everyone will be so honest. The .22-250 has been shot out also, and I put a new barrel on it. The old barrel is nothing more than steel to pound into a knife.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 03:38 PM

Might be they're already proficient with rifles and calibers with that type velocities and have been for over 40 year's.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

Might be they're already proficient with rifles and calibers with that type velocities and have been for over 40 year's.

I've never seen my dad miss with a rifle, and at best he shot a couple times a year before deer season to check his zero. He was able to drop deer out 400 yards, and never used a range finder or turned any knobs on his cheap Simmons scope.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 03:49 PM

Not everyone has to shoot three boxes of shells a year to be able to go and kill animials

I shot my .270 twice about a week ago to check it before I go on an elk hunt....first time that gun has been shot at paper in I don't know how long. last 7 times it was shot prior to that was all into animals. I would imagine it hadn't been shot at paper in a few years prior to those 7

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 03:51 PM

Exactly. Plus, "proficiency" is a relative term. Maybe to you, proficiency is the ability to compensate for drop and wind out to a thousand yards, and shoot MOA groups from the kneeling position. To others, proficiency is to be able to hit a target 1/2-3/4 the size of a game animals vitals out to the extent of a gun's point blank range, from a improvised rest in field conditions. With an accurate rifle, most hunters can realistically expect to pull a gun out and fire it for the first time since the last season and still shoot at least that well. So you go to the range, confirm it's still on, and save your shells to put meat on the table and a trophy on the wall. Not everyone has the time, money, or even the desire to go out every weekend and shoot steel at over 600 yards. Most of us don't even have a place like that to go.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Colt W. Knight

I've never seen my dad miss with a rifle, and at best he shot a couple times a year before deer season to check his zero. He was able to drop deer out 400 yards, and never used a range finder or turned any knobs on his cheap Simmons scope.

Guys like that have natural talent. And just like any other thing in life it is the exception, not the rule. The rest of us have to work at it, to be as good as we would like to be.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 05:09 PM

Well, I have to admit that I was just stirring things up a bit with my comment about the new Weatherby caliber and folks buying it and not shooting much. And folks responded with true statements about dear old Dad never practicing and still competently shooting deer to 400 yards. I can't fault that logic. But...this new caliber is for the sole purpose of being able to shoot at long range, which by my measure, is out past 400 yards. The trajectory is likely to be something along the lines of my 220 Swift, when sighted in at 200 yards, which is a 5 inch drop at 300, 15 inches at 400, and probably 33 inches or so at 500. If you are going to shoot at 400 and beyond, practice is required. If a fellow isn't going to use the cartridge for its designed purpose, why buy it? Just get yourself a 256 Newton (6.5-06) and go with that.

Of course I realize that it's their money and they can buy whatever they want. And there will be people that buy this caliber in a rifle and are extremely proficient shooters. Further, since I'm an old 270 guy. I could buy the rifle and caliber and probably be quite happy with it, except for my shoulder.

Just stirring the pot...

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 07:43 PM

I would be impressed if dear old dad could hit a 6 inch target at 620 yards, cold bore, no sight in, and not having shot the rifle since last deer season. Regardless of caliber, if that shot could be pulled off I would be impressed............Until shots such as these can be made on a regular basis, I will keep practicing.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 07:50 PM

I would be impressed if dear old dad could hit a 6 inch target at 620 yards, cold bore, no sight in, and not having shot the rifle since last deer season. Regardless of caliber, if that shot could be pulled off I would be impressed............Until shots such as these can be made on a regular basis, I will keep practicing.

I would be impressed if I could read rifle thread on the Texas Hunting Forum that did not include the terms: Cold bore shot, shooting steel, long range, or MOA. Or try to belittle the observations of folks who don't care about punching holes in paper or ringing steel plates.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 08:04 PM

Guys like that have natural talent. And just like any other thing in life it is the exception, not the rule. The rest of us have to work at it, to be as good as we would like to be.

My dad never considered himself a very good shot because his dad and uncle were such amazing shots. They use to put on demonstrations like exhibition shooters where they would shoot their winchester 22s. Dad said they would hang an empty shell casing from a string, call which direction they wanted it to swing, and shoot. Then the other one could make it stop swinging or shoot the string off. Or they would throw bottles in off cliffs into the strip cut. One would should under the bottle to make it jump out of the water, and the other would shoot it in the air. My uncle even hunted quail with his 22 until the game warden threatened to take him to jail if he didn't stop.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 08:07 PM

I would be impressed if I could read rifle thread on the Texas Hunting Forum that did not include the terms: Cold bore shot, shooting steel, long range, or MOA. Or try to belittle the observations of folks who don't care about punching holes in paper or ringing steel plates.

is MIL okay to put in posts? eek

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 08:11 PM

is MIL okay to put in posts? eek

As long as it isn't in conjunction with a lever gun.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 08:15 PM

We can shoot water balloons if you would like. They just don't hold up like metal targets.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 08:15 PM

Amen to this.

I hear or read "cold bore shot" one more time I'm gonna....burn every did copy of shooter I can find

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 08:16 PM

Colt it's not illegal to shoot quail with a .22 in Texas...

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Colt it's not illegal to shoot quail with a .22 in Texas...

That story took place in Western Kentucky where my dad is from, but I think the game wardens concern was my great uncle shooting birds in flight with a 22.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 08:24 PM

Dear old dad probably had enough sense not to attempt a 620 yard shot. He probably knew his limits and his rifle's well enough to use it in the field. What else matters to a hunter?

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Regular Guy

Dear old dad probably had enough sense not to attempt a 620 yard shot. He probably knew his limits and his rifle's well enough to use it in the field. What else matters to a hunter?

Dear old Dad would be hunting with a 3x9 duplex scope sighted in 2 inches high at 100 yards, no range finder, no BDC and no wind-meter. Dear old Dad did just that at Camp Pendelton while hunting blacktail with my brother. Dad had given him the 300 about 2 years earlier and hadn't shot it since. Pop's rolled her over at 600 yards with a half a dozen witness's. Not because he was lucky but because he knew that rifle and that caliber.
Posted By: bo3

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 09:02 PM

But it takes a real shooter to drive a rifle well enough to make cold bore hits ring on moa long range steel plates. Everyone else is a poser.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/10/15 09:09 PM

Can you do it with a duplex, single cross hair only 3x9 sighted in 2 inches high at 100, no rangefinder, no wind-meter and not touch your scope? Now I'm going to give ya 3 seconds to pull it off. Care to try it with the 6.5x47 or would you rather something a little flatter and faster?

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/11/15 12:53 AM

I'm a dear old dad and I suspect were you and I to both take a single shot at any distance over 500 yards using my rifle only, as it's set up with no range-finder or wind-meter, I'd take your money for the closest hit.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/11/15 01:27 AM

I gotta ask.

What is so wrong with having a ruler in the scope? It gives precise holds for elevation and wind. Anyone that is extremely proficient with a duplex reticle uses it with known measurents. Center of the reticlr halfway to the heavy line, all the way to the heavy line, ect.

What is so wrong with using a laser range finder IF SOMEONE HAS THE FEW SECONDS TO DO SO?

And how do you know, without a shadow of a doubt, you have shot at X distance beyond 200 yards if it is not confirmed with a range finder? I've seen lots of shooters call 250 yards 500 yards, and 400 yards 600 yards. And that is an observation not an accusation.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/11/15 02:43 AM

I'm a dear old dad and I suspect were you and I to both take a single shot at any distance over 500 yards using my rifle only, as it's set up with no range-finder or wind-meter, I'd take your money for the closest hit.

I gotta ask.

What is so wrong with having a ruler in the scope? It gives precise holds for elevation and wind. Anyone that is extremely proficient with a duplex reticle uses it with known measurents. Center of the reticlr halfway to the heavy line, all the way to the heavy line, ect.

What is so wrong with using a laser range finder IF SOMEONE HAS THE FEW SECONDS TO DO SO?

And how do you know, without a shadow of a doubt, you have shot at X distance beyond 200 yards if it is not confirmed with a range finder? I've seen lots of shooters call 250 yards 500 yards, and 400 yards 600 yards. And that is an observation not an accusation.

This is the clash of two different styles of shooting. One is not any more right then the other. Both styles have their pros and cons. Ones quicker and more instinctive. The other is more precise but slower. They prefer different cartridges, bullets, and sights.Two sides of the same coin that rarely agree.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/11/15 02:48 AM

^^I completely agree^^

You led right into what I was thinking. It's like the pereptual HF/ LF debate.

And as far as slow, speed comes with practice, and the speed is simply making an educated guess on distance. I am pretty good at it, but I still don't trust myself to accurately judge distance beyond 300 yards. I too have estimated distance, held over, and made the shot, but they have not been long shots Typically anything I am hunting far away (hogs and coyotes) are calm and don't know I'm there. Therefore I have the few seconds to bounce a laser off em.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/11/15 03:25 AM

If a fellow is going to take long shots on critters, why guess distance if you don't have to? Out past 400 or so, distance really starts to matter on trajectory. If you have a plain old duplex reticle and think the distance is 200, and your rifle is sighted in for that, and the distance is really 300 yards, the drop with my 270 is 7 inches. I'll get the deer, but I'd likely miss the coyote. At 400 yards, still thinking it's 200 yards, I'll miss both a deer and a coyote, but I'll scare them plenty. That's why I have a RF. Not the best, but good to 400 on critters and 600 or more on shiny stuff.

From personal experience, I can tell you that your guess on distance will depend on several factors that you might not have even considered. How big is the deer and how tall are the trees? It matters. I wouldn't have guessed that it mattered that much till I started splitting hunting time between NE Louisiana (big trees and big deer) and south TX (smaller deer and mesquite trees). I was way overestimating distances in TX, thinking a deer that looked tiny was 400 yards away and he was 250. Your eyes play tricks on you. Get a RF. Can't hurt. Sure saves tracking time on wounded deer.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/11/15 03:30 AM

Ranging is vital for long range, but,back to topic, we are talking about a weatherby. They are typically used by people looking for mpbr. The 6.5-300 only has 7 inches of drop at 400 if zeroed at 250 so it helps eliminate range estimate errors. It speeds up the shot by helping to eliminate ranging at typical hunting ranges and one less thing to carry. However barrel life is short if abused or used for more then hunting.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/11/15 11:02 AM

Quote:
This is the clash of two different styles of shooting. One is not any more right then the other. Both styles have their pros and cons. Ones quicker and more instinctive. The other is more precise but slower. They prefer different cartridges, bullets, and sights.Two sides of the same coin that rarely agree.

I agree! One is slower, requires different setup's and gear, different bullet's, batteries and the rifles used tend to be heavy, cumbersome and are frequently chambered in mundane lower velocity calibers. The other tends to lean towards less gear, sleeker lighter rifles chambered in calibers that are flat and fast enough to remove allot of the guess work out of range estimation and wind calculations. One side tends to agree that if your not capable of making 600 yard cold bore shoots on steel your not a shooter. The other side tends to agree that if you need all that gear just to make a 600 yard shoot instead of trying to move in closer your not a hunter. While I applaud the LR boys accomplishments at long range I do find their arrogance less than appealing and their equipment less than desirable for most hunting situations. Personally I want to drive a bullet designed for impacting meat and bone as fast as I can to guarantee I deliver as much energy as possible to make it a one shot stop. I've made some long shot's in the past but most were on none game animals such as yote's and jack rabbit's with a couple of those being in the 600 yard range but it was mostly just to see if I could do it shots. My longest on a game animal was a mulie down by Rankin about 450 yards with no possible way of getting closer other than having to walk about 3 miles to get on the other side of the canyon. That one shot was made with a 7-mag and he dropped where he was standing, had it been much longer I would have made the drive and moved in from above. My personal rule is 2000 ft-lbs of energy at impact on game animals which means keeping the range in an area that assures that.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/11/15 11:09 AM

Originally Posted By: bo323
Ranging is vital for long range, but,back to topic, we are talking about a weatherby. They are typically used by people looking for mpbr. The 6.5-300 only has 7 inches of drop at 400 if zeroed at 250 so it helps eliminate range estimate errors. It speeds up the shot by helping to eliminate ranging at typical hunting ranges and one less thing to carry. However barrel life is short if abused or used for more then hunting.

All my rifles have one thing in common from the 223 to the 300, all have muzzle velocitie's in the 3500 to 3600 ft-ps range wit a few just a little faster.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/11/15 11:29 AM

Quote:
What is so wrong with having a ruler in the scope?

For me it just clutters up the view.

Quote:

How long does it take to grab the range finder, range then grab your rifle and shoot?

Quote:

A lifetime of playing golf and a general knowledge from looking at game animals and terrain. With the rifles I shoot a difference of 50 yards is not going to make that much of a difference in bullet impact. I tend to guess a little long on yardage but short on antler score, never figured that one out yet.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/11/15 01:12 PM

I don't keep binocs around my neck, I glass with an 8X Swarovski Laser Guide, all that is added is the push of a button.

To shoot anything far away can be done with sleek, light weight rifles, that are more comfortable to carry all day. And that sleek rifle can wear a lightweight scope with a reticle with known holds for elevation and wind. Fast bullets do well inside 400 yards, they don't fall much which helps with the simple duplex reticle. 400 is the typically the dividing line where bullets begin to drop rapidly. I've seen .22-250, and .223 run near the same trajectory as 300 Win Mags to 300 and 400 yards. 500 plus and things significantly change. Once a person learns how to use the "ruler" they don't have to dial for the speed of the shot's sake. Anyone that has hunted long enough knows sometimes you have to snap shoot. But I'm not gonna snap shoot anything I think is outside 300 yards. If I am on the move I am zeroed for 100 yards, magnification turned down as low as it will go, and focus set for 100 yards. My room for error is small, because I am trying to hit coyote vitals or head, not deer vitals. There's a significant difference in size. And coyotes really want to live! I'd rather kill coyotes and hogs than deer, call me crazy.

I don't use a wind meter. It only tells what the wind is doing where I'm standing, but what matters is what the wind is doing where there is something I am going to shoot. Grass, trees and mirage are the wind flags, that's all ya got when hunting so that's all I use when shooting for practice. Making a wind speed estimation is where the art comes in. Some guys are terrific at it, some of us have to practice it. Once the wind speed is judged it is easy to remember what the wind hold should be, in hard numbers, for a given distance. As you well know, judging wind can become a gut feeling based on previous observations.

I don't begrudge anyone for doing things their way if their way is working for them. But I can't teach a person the 40 years experience from a veteran hunter. I can, however, teach a person the science behind the shooting and give them solid numbers to compensate for distance and wind simultaneously.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/11/15 04:21 PM

I can see it well from both sides because I like both kinds of shooting. My favorite reticle is a duplex, although I haven't owned a scope with a duplex reticle for some time. I have shot mostly air rifles for the last decade or so, and used fixed 4x mildot scopes almost exclusively. The trajectory of an air rifle practically requires it, because pellets drop really fast beyond 40 yards. For hunting, even with an air rifle, I still prefer the duplex reticle, or open sights, and to limit myself to the practical range without holdover. 30-40 yards, is plenty for small game- squirrels don't stop for you to find a solid rest so fast off-hand shooting works the best. You have to limit yourself to the distance you can reliably hit the heart/lungs off-hand, even when you are in a rush.
I prefer the duplex or open sights because it is not as cluttered or busy looking as some of the crazy reticles out there. A mil dot or better yet, a half mil reticle, to me isn't that bad-and it's usefulness offsets the advantage a plain reticle would offer. I have only one rifle, and it has a for-now scope, but it will probably have a nice FFP mil/mil variable on it within the next couple years despite my affinity for a plain scope. I like to push my limits in target shooting-not even competitively, but just because. It's just plain fun. But you are not going to guess on 700 + or - yards accurately enough to prevent wounding and losing a animal. Missing and using the impact to adjust is fine for target shooting but you need a lazer rangefinder if you plan to hunt with the combo and really stretch it out beyond the max pbr of your gun. And you need a place to practice, and learn the actual drop because ballistic calculators are never just 100% dead on perfect. They can get you close but that's all.
A guy like me could really enjoy a gun like the new Westherby 6.5. I don't own anything really nice to pass down to the grandkids one day. If you are looking for just one, real nice rifle, with a flat trajectory that's capable of long range shooting with the best of them- this might be a good choice. I don't think Weatherby's target audience is the tacticool crowd, nor the serious long range crowd, but the average guy that wants a very nice rifle he could be proud to pass down. Also one that shoots very flat- and with which, given he one day has the time and resources, can expect to be competitive in long range competition. Are there other guns that fit the description? Yes, but they don't shoot as flat or hit as hard as the Weatherby. Pretty cool story to tell your grandson, "in my day this was the flattest shooting, hardest hitting 6.5 made. I killed my first (insert cool hunt) with it, i competed against whoever with it, maybe won x trophy or whatever or maybe not. Surely any grandson would be proud to have his grangfather's rifle- especially the flattest shooting, hardest hitting version of a rifle built at the time.
So it's not necessarily about building the gun with the longest bore life, or to a price point. It's about building a nice rifle with max potential right out of the box, that you can be proud to own and pass down. Maybe Weatherby offers some other cartridges that are more versatile to a hunter, but if you like 6.5's this might be it for you.
Personally if I were to buy a 6.5 I'd go with a Swedish mauser because I like guns I can shoot comfortably all day, and afford to do so. I don't get to the range often, but when I do I wanna make a day of it and beat my last best. That's just my thing.
I have to admit though, I would love a Weatherby Mark V, chambered in something I could hunt the world with...
Posted By: booradley

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/14/15 03:37 AM

Good question and I can tell you for a fact that Weatherby has has exactly 7 30-378 rifles come back in17 years with a burned out barrel. I am not saying that super speed calibers don't burn out barrels, they do. But 99% of the people that buy these rifles hunt with them and might put 25 rounds through one a year.
That is why the ammo price argument usually doesn't hold water, so you spend 100.00 on a box of ammo a year, that is the cheapest cost of all of your hunting.

A person that burns up the barrel on a 30-378 is a masochist in my opinion.

Re: New Weatherby Caliber - 10/15/15 12:10 AM

Has anyone seen my stapler
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum