Texas Hunting Forum

Screwed up testing my rifle.

Posted By: Sq2 hunter

Screwed up testing my rifle. - 10/08/15 02:01 AM

So I think shooting last week may have just been a waste of time!? I had all my data correct in my strelok app except for shooting temp. I had 32F on the app but instead it was 88 degrees out. I also was screen shooting all the data and it didn't save photos beyond 700 yards, which sucks too. But for some reason Strelok was spot on correct on the click to plug in my scope so I'm guessing I'm also wrong on velocity. But I'm going by what by the nosler reloading data says. Is there a way to calculate and adjust the temp and velocity to get me where I should be? Like I say I have all the click adjustments saved to my phone out to 700 yards so that will have do because I have no access to a long distance range before my elk hunt..
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Screwed up testing my rifle. - 10/08/15 11:03 AM

So, you zeroed and verified dope with the temp set at 32? You could probably reset it at 88 and adjust the zero. Have you verified that your scope's adjustments are accurate? And you haven't checked velocity with a chronograph?

You are probably better off just leaving everything the way it is if it all got you on target. The temp will be a lot lower on your hunt, so you could just plug in a number lower than 32 in the program to adjust for it. If you have the altitude and pressure set correctly, for zero and the shooting comditions, the temp won't make a huge difference.

Re: Screwed up testing my rifle. - 10/08/15 01:07 PM

I had it zeroed in with everything correct in the app but when I actually shot to test it out for long range I had the app doped to the wrong temp for current shooting conditions. But like I said the app was accurate on the amount of clicks to adjust for all the ranges I shot except it makes no since considering I had the wrong temp in for current conditions which makes me think I had the wrong velocity. And no I didn't chrono the actual velocity.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Screwed up testing my rifle. - 10/08/15 01:11 PM

So a couple of things

1) look at your dope at temp ranges. Not sure how much it will impact the dope
2) if you reload your velocity can change depending on how temp sensitive your powder is
3 most app have a trueing function. Where you shoot and tell it how far off it is and it auto corrects
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Screwed up testing my rifle. - 10/08/15 03:22 PM

You bombing Iraq confused2

Re: Screwed up testing my rifle. - 10/08/15 03:35 PM

At 700 yards it said put 38 clicks at 32F and it hit perfect. But when I got home and realized the temp input was wrong I plugged in 88 which was the temp when I was shooting and it said to go up 31 clicka.
Posted By: jdickey

Re: Screwed up testing my rifle. - 10/08/15 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: SheepHunter
You bombing Iraq confused2

SYRIA...with the Russians and Chinese! aim

Re: Screwed up testing my rifle. - 10/08/15 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Sq2 hunter
At 700 yards it said put 38 clicks at 32F and it hit perfect. But when I got home and realized the temp input was wrong I plugged in 88 which was the temp when I was shooting and it said to go up 31 clicka.

So how much is a "click" on your scope?

Re: Screwed up testing my rifle. - 10/08/15 04:25 PM

It's mrad so .36 inches per click
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Screwed up testing my rifle. - 10/08/15 04:28 PM

Don't forget to make sure all the numbers are behind the decimal when you enter the BC in Strelok. One time I had 5.69 entered instead of .569 and it screwed me up.

Re: Screwed up testing my rifle. - 10/08/15 04:36 PM

Yeah everything input was accurate besides temp and like a said the velocity was based on the nosler reloading data.

Re: Screwed up testing my rifle. - 10/08/15 04:57 PM

You can't really trust book values. They are at a given set of conditions, barrel length, maker, brass type, primer type etc
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Screwed up testing my rifle. - 10/08/15 06:27 PM

You could always just bolt get a little closer. lol444

Good luck Sir.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Screwed up testing my rifle. - 10/08/15 06:32 PM

Have you confirmed the value of your clicks? The value could be off or the velocity. Or any number of other things. It's not something big, though, because you're dang close.
Posted By: furfinrfeather

Re: Screwed up testing my rifle. - 10/08/15 06:39 PM

As long as you aren't trying a head shot, you should still be okay.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Screwed up testing my rifle. - 10/08/15 06:44 PM

You could reverse-engineer the math, input 88F and reduce the velocity until the bullet patch matches the 32F. If it matched at all points you could concur you've found the true MV.

Re: Screwed up testing my rifle. - 10/08/15 07:57 PM

Obviously you went to tech. Lol I'm calculating now

Re: Screwed up testing my rifle. - 10/08/15 08:28 PM

Got it I must be shootING around 2740 fps.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum