Texas Hunting Forum

Rem-Oil and Rat Shot?

Posted By: Slow Drifter

Rem-Oil and Rat Shot? - 10/02/15 12:04 AM

Just saw a "bad snake" (penny head) in my garage. This is kind of my extended office and where I hang out and talk with you fine folks. The garage is not climate controlled. I want to leave a .22 Magnum revolver loaded with rat-shot on the computer desk in case he pops his head out again, but would like to keep it wiped down with Rem-Oil due to the conditions. It'll be in a leather holster. Does anyone know if Rem-Oil will eat away the plastic capsule on the rat shot if it gets on it?
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Rem-Oil and Rat Shot? - 10/02/15 12:27 AM

I don't think rem Oil has any solvents in it just Teflon. I'm no chemist but I'd say its ok.

I haven't seen the .22 mag shot cartridges, do the capsules touch the cylinder walls?

Re: Rem-Oil and Rat Shot? - 10/02/15 12:33 AM

Thanks, and no, the capsule is actually narrower than a .22 Magnum projectile. I usually use them to shoot field rats from the tractor seat. It keeps it entertaining.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Rem-Oil and Rat Shot? - 10/02/15 12:35 AM

fun !!!
Posted By: bull279

Re: Rem-Oil and Rat Shot? - 10/02/15 12:35 AM

Never had any problem with plastic capped ratshot and Rem-oil
Posted By: 10ring

Re: Rem-Oil and Rat Shot? - 10/02/15 12:45 AM

Like an idiot I was sitting here trying to figure out what the heck a penny head was...

Re: Rem-Oil and Rat Shot? - 10/02/15 01:30 AM

Buzzsaw, yeah, it's pretty fun shooting field rats as they scamper away from the tractor!

Bull279, thanks for the reply. I'll go forth with my plan with confidence.

10ring, thank you for reminding us that there are "special" people among us, and we must love them for the person they are. (Kidding!!! puh-leeze be able to take a joke and don't hunt me down and kill me!)
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Rem-Oil and Rat Shot? - 10/02/15 02:53 AM

The only issue I read is keeping it in leather. Sure some might flame me but there is stuff in treated leather that's not great for storage. The rest sounds fun. I bet there's plenty of people with stories of pristine 100 year old guns stored in leather. I wouldn't do that myself. We all have opinions.

I saw some WMR shot shells at the Sherman show last week but I didn't get any and it's been a good while since I saw any before that.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Rem-Oil and Rat Shot? - 10/03/15 09:41 AM

Originally Posted By: 10ring
Like an idiot I was sitting here trying to figure out what the heck a penny head was...

Took me a minute too. Are pennies still made out of copper?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum