Texas Hunting Forum

Grind to fit recoil pad is STICKY?....Help need

Posted By: deewayne2003

Grind to fit recoil pad is STICKY?....Help need - 09/29/15 01:26 PM

I have a rifle that was purchased years ago, that has a Limbsaver grind to fit pad installed. (at least I believe its grind to fit- definitely limbsaver pad though)

Since the day I bought this rifle I knew the pad was sticky- on the sides that were ground down to fit.

It's not that big of a deal but it is certainly annoying to have a rifle that shoots this good and the pad sticks to EVERYTHING - gun case lining, anything it touches in the safe, my jacket or shirt while shooting ......ect, ect.

Anybody know what I could rub on this to take the sticky away?.....even thought about wrapping it in some kind of tape.
Posted By: Night Hunting TV

Re: Grind to fit recoil pad is STICKY?....Help need - 09/29/15 01:39 PM

I always start with rubbing alcohol. gotta take your time. start with a small spot. If that doesnt work. take the pad off and buy something else.
Posted By: seacam

Re: Grind to fit recoil pad is STICKY?....Help need - 09/29/15 02:33 PM

Or try some goof off(think that's what it's called). Never tried it on anything soft like a recoil pad but it works great on hard surfaces.
Posted By: TDK

Re: Grind to fit recoil pad is STICKY?....Help need - 09/29/15 08:15 PM

Limbsavers are bad about that. Best thing to do is swap it for a pachmyr.
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Grind to fit recoil pad is STICKY?....Help need - 09/30/15 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: TDK

I hear yah.....but I think the genius that installed this pad somehow glued it on; I back out the screws and it still won't budge.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Grind to fit recoil pad is STICKY?....Help need - 09/30/15 06:58 PM

Try corn starch
Posted By: THETEXAN

Re: Grind to fit recoil pad is STICKY?....Help need - 09/30/15 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Colt W. Knight
Try corn starch
x2
Posted By: BushFamilyNine

Re: Grind to fit recoil pad is STICKY?....Help need - 10/01/15 04:26 AM

Two trains of thought...remove the sticky or cover up the sticky. I prefer to remove the sticky if possible. Try some Zippo lighter fluid in a small spot. Otherwise I know using 3M adhesive remover (bought in a quart can) will work. This is commercial grade stuff and is a notch above Goo-Gone and the like.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Grind to fit recoil pad is STICKY?....Help need - 10/01/15 04:42 AM

Originally Posted By: deewayne2003
Originally Posted By: TDK

I hear yah.....but I think the genius that installed this pad somehow glued it on; I back out the screws and it still won't budge.

Should be able to pop it off, even if it's glued. Just force it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum