Texas Hunting Forum

Can you widen a loading port

Posted By: waterandwoods

Can you widen a loading port - 09/16/15 09:43 PM

I would really like to have a 20 gauge semi but I have a problem not getting a blister on my thumb even on my SBE. I bought my wife an M2 field 20 and wore both sides of my thumb out shooting skeet. Is it possible to widen the SBE, which I really don't even shoot with that well, and/or would it be possible on a 20 without losing the integrity of the gun. I have a 20 o/u that i love to shoot and would also like a semi for dove and teal. Another reason for the 20 is to share with my daughter and eventually let her have it if she wishes. Any ideas welcomed or a top notch gunsmith in Houston that could do the work. This would NOT be for any competitions, just hunting.

Thanks
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Can you widen a loading port - 09/17/15 12:55 AM

Gloves.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Can you widen a loading port - 09/17/15 01:29 AM

Yes. I really widened the port on my 930, and funneled the port to make loading shells easier. I do use it for three gun, but it's an awesome bird gun as well. Get a dremel and get after it.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Can you widen a loading port - 09/17/15 01:32 AM

Would you be willing to post photos of what you've done? I personally have no need to do this, but photos of your own work might encourage and inspire the OP, and maybe eliminate some fear.
Posted By: bo3

Re: Can you widen a loading port - 09/17/15 06:57 PM

Look at Brian enos forums in the shotgun section. There is usually a thread about opening the loading port. If not a quick search should find it.
Posted By: Misfire

Re: Can you widen a loading port - 09/20/15 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
Yes. I really widened the port on my 930, and funneled the port to make loading shells easier. I do use it for three gun, but it's an awesome bird gun as well. Get a dremel and get after it.

This.

I did mine with hand files and a dremel. It doesn't have to be pretty just make sure to smooth out the rough and sharp edges. Here is mine.

Also, if you widen the loading port you should consider an extended lifter. It will minimize the chance of tearing your thumbnail off.
http://tarantacticalinnovations.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=107

Posted By: waterandwoods

Re: Can you widen a loading port - 09/21/15 08:16 PM

Thanks for comments and pics. Misfire, thanks for link
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum