Texas Hunting Forum

AR-15 feeding concerns

Posted By: BadShot

AR-15 feeding concerns - 09/15/15 10:11 PM

So I have a DPMS Oracle AR that shoots .223 5.56. Since the day I got it when a round is jacked in, I can release the mag and eject the round that was chambered without shooting it and it looks as if the firing pin is leaving a small prick in the center of the cartridge, right where it should when it fires. I can also fire rounds, eject mag then eject unfired round that was chambered last and the small prick is still there. Is this normal??? I am just nervous one day maybe it will actually fire because of this. eek2
Posted By: JCB

Re: AR-15 feeding concerns - 09/15/15 10:13 PM

Its a floating firing pin. Every AR I have ever shot has done that. Normal.

Re: AR-15 feeding concerns - 09/15/15 10:19 PM

Thanks JCB. Ill rest a little easier now!!
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: AR-15 feeding concerns - 09/15/15 11:52 PM

It does leave you with an uneasy feeling but obeying the gun commandments will keep you and those with you safe.

GUN IS ALWAYS LOADED AND READY TO FIRE

Re: AR-15 feeding concerns - 09/16/15 01:55 AM

Yes sir pig popper. I Consider myself on the safe side of gun handling and am very conscious about my surroumdings and those around me with guns. That being said, had a mishap with a hollow point shell by hornady the other night. The bullet actually broke out of the case when I tried jacking a shell in and powder ran down my barrel and all over me. What a calamity that was after a 15 minute field strip of my gun for a quick clean and makes use all was clear. Lesson learned. Hornady HPs suck IMO. That wasn't the first one to do that either.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: AR-15 feeding concerns - 09/16/15 02:01 AM

1. The ding in the primer is normal.

2. It sounds like you may have a short chamber in your rifle.
Posted By: tenyearsgone

Re: AR-15 feeding concerns - 09/16/15 02:09 AM

Follow the 4 USMC safety rules and this isn't an issue.

Re: AR-15 feeding concerns - 09/16/15 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: tenyearsgone
Follow the 4 USMC safety rules and this isn't an issue.

The safest shooter in the world may have a hard time keeping the pin from pricking the primer like that. I must be missing your point.

My point- an uneasy feeling before I knew this was normal that even when barrel is pointed in a safe direction maybe that prick sets that round off. I'm mindful of this when jacking a round in.
Posted By: tenyearsgone

Re: AR-15 feeding concerns - 09/16/15 05:35 AM

It means follow the safety rules and it doesn't matter if it hits the primer a little.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: AR-15 feeding concerns - 09/16/15 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: BadShot
had a mishap with a hollow point shell by hornady the other night. The bullet actually broke out of the case when I tried jacking a shell in and powder ran down my barrel and all over me. What a calamity that was after a 15 minute field strip of my gun for a quick clean and makes use all was clear. Lesson learned. Hornady HPs suck IMO. That wasn't the first one to do that either.

This is an ammo issue. The bullet should be held in tight enough to not come out or get pushed back in. There is not enough neck tension on the brass to hold the bullet in place. It does happen sometimes, but shouldn't.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum