Texas Hunting Forum

Kimber Micro Carry CDP.380 CRAP!

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Kimber Micro Carry CDP.380 CRAP! - 09/12/15 07:37 PM

Only the second time out. The gun is SWEET, shoots very soft and accurate, great trigger... BUT when I'm shooting just regular 90gr FMJ, it doesn't like to lock completely into battery. I'm not an expert gunsmith but it seems like the extractor is not locking over rim when the action closes. I have to "nudge" the slide forward till it "clicks" onto the rim. I have about 150 rounds through it, I'm going to get more rounds through it before I send it back....and I will be pissed because this is a HIGH DOLLAR pocket gun and besides the cost it need to work, all the time !!!! The warmer JHP loads seem to function allot better....

Seems to be a constant problem with many of the micro guns. Stay tuned.....

What's it sound like is wrong to ya'll
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Kimber Micro Carry CDP.380 CRAP! - 09/12/15 07:50 PM

Needs some more rounds put through it. Sad the manufacturers can't make a machine to run the action 100, 500, 1000 times before sending the product out, but back in the 70's they discovered a "tight" gun sold better. SO now you pay more for a tight gun and then pay for another 100-500 rounds of ammo plus your time to run the ammo through. JMO
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Kimber Micro Carry CDP.380 CRAP! - 09/12/15 09:10 PM

More rounds and make sure the gun is wet with something like CLP. It needs it to self-polish and break-in.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Kimber Micro Carry CDP.380 CRAP! - 09/12/15 10:28 PM

Yes, put more rounds down it, and get a lubricant on the area you think it's sticking. The fmj rounds could be a light load, and the gun be set up for the higher pressure stuff.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Kimber Micro Carry CDP.380 CRAP! - 09/12/15 10:59 PM

I have a suggestion.

Take the gun apart, then "lubricate" everything including the slide rails etc with a non-abrasive polish like Happich Semichrome. Put the gun together without the recoil spring and its guide.

While watching TV, work the action back and forth hundreds of times.

Take it apart again, remove all traces of the polish, lubricate it normally and assemble it normally.

Next time you get a chance, see if that fixed it.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Kimber Micro Carry CDP.380 CRAP! - 09/13/15 03:22 AM

My buddies kimber is a high dollar piece of crap also
It sucks not being able to rely on a gun.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Kimber Micro Carry CDP.380 CRAP! - 09/13/15 01:24 PM

My experience with the smaller kimber is they don't like lighter ammo. Find some heavier rounds it will probably cycle just fine.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Kimber Micro Carry CDP.380 CRAP! - 09/13/15 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: jhenderson
My experience with the smaller kimber is they don't like lighter ammo. Find some heavier rounds it will probably cycle just fine.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Kimber Micro Carry CDP.380 CRAP! - 09/13/15 04:20 PM

Tune the extractor?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Kimber Micro Carry CDP.380 CRAP! - 09/13/15 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: charlesb
I have a suggestion.

Take the gun apart, then "lubricate" everything including the slide rails etc with a non-abrasive polish like Happich Semichrome. Put the gun together without the recoil spring and its guide.

While watching TV, work the action back and forth hundreds of times.

Take it apart again, remove all traces of the polish, lubricate it normally and assemble it normally.

Next time you get a chance, see if that fixed it.

What about some lapping compound while doing this? Give a little more clearance between parts. Yes, no?
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Kimber Micro Carry CDP.380 CRAP! - 09/13/15 06:49 PM

I think I'll just tune the extractor
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Kimber Micro Carry CDP.380 CRAP! - 09/13/15 07:51 PM

These are some involved suggestions for a very expensive gun that should work with any factory ammo right out of the box. My buddy has a Kimber 1911 with thousands of rounds through it. I would suggest you send this back to Kimber. No reason this shouldn't be just as reliable, and it's not your responsibility to fix it.
Posted By: Crews

Re: Kimber Micro Carry CDP.380 CRAP! - 09/13/15 08:12 PM

there are guns on the market that don't require a "break in" to work, out of the box. My suggestion........ buy one of those.
Posted By: Loaded

Re: Kimber Micro Carry CDP.380 CRAP! - 09/13/15 10:18 PM

I know they only recommend 124gr and heavier defense loads in their 9mm Solo Carry, but I didn't see any ammo recommendation on their website for the Micro Carry.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum