Texas Hunting Forum

"pinned and welded"??? brake

Posted By: Buzzsaw

"pinned and welded"??? brake - 09/10/15 10:34 PM

Ok, so on a 14.5" barreled AR, the "pinned and welded" brake/flash
hider has to be this way to bring the total length to a legal 16"

If I want to run a suppressor on this gun someday......can I? won't it mess up my threads, etc drink7 ?
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: "pinned and welded"??? brake - 09/10/15 10:37 PM

Worst case scenario you can always send it to Dallas shooting supplies on the Texas hunting forum and he can chop it off and re-thread it
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: "pinned and welded"??? brake - 09/10/15 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Worst case scenario you can always send it to Dallas shooting supplies on the Texas hunting forum and he can chop it off and re-thread it

And you'll need to fork over the $$$ for the SBR tax stamp.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: "pinned and welded"??? brake - 09/10/15 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

And you'll need to fork over the $$$ for the SBR tax stamp.
two of them one for the barrel One for the suppressor
Posted By: Judd

Re: "pinned and welded"??? brake - 09/10/15 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Ok, so on a 14.5" barreled AR, the "pinned and welded" brake/flash
hider has to be this way to bring the total length to a legal 16"

If I want to run a suppressor on this gun someday......can I? won't it mess up my threads, etc drink7 ?

As I understand it...It's pinned and welded. Someone will either have to unpin and grind out the weld or cut it off and rethread. I also think there are some pinned and welded that do not have threads under them, they are just pinned and welded.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: "pinned and welded"??? brake - 09/10/15 10:47 PM

Is saving 1.5" really that big a deal? Just buy a 16" barrel to start, or go SBR now (and you'll likely go shorter than 14.5 anyway).
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: "pinned and welded"??? brake - 09/10/15 10:48 PM

I am thinking about a 14.5" AR as well and found a few examples of removing the pinned and welded flash suppressors on Youtube. From the little I've seen, it can be done without damage to the barrel.
Posted By: tenyearsgone

Re: "pinned and welded"??? brake - 09/11/15 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Is saving 1.5" really that big a deal? Just buy a 16" barrel to start, or go SBR now (and you'll likely go shorter than 14.5 anyway).

I think it is if using a carbine gas system. 16 inch barrels look stupid sticking out that far with a brake on the end.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum