Texas Hunting Forum

300 Blackout now mainstream!

Posted By: boonee

300 Blackout now mainstream! - 09/10/15 04:54 PM

I went to Wal-Mart to pick up some cat fish bait.
I walked past the ammo cabinet: 4 boxes of Remington 300 Blackout 120 SUPERSONIC ammo.
It was at a good price, cheaper than I can order it.
In 2011 when I built my first one, I went to shows 3-4 months, never found any ammo.
I ordered every round I could afford, 6-8 months of shows I sold ammo and brass, and preaching the greatness of the round. A .30 cal AR banana
Still one of my favorite suppressed round, it and .308!
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: 300 Blackout now mainstream! - 09/10/15 05:50 PM

Is supersonic .300 quieter than 6.8 or .308? Assume all rounds would be suppressed.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: 300 Blackout now mainstream! - 09/10/15 06:32 PM

The less powder in the case to burn helps reduce the overall sound of the round. So, any round that has less powder in the case should, technically, be quieter than the one with more powder. The 300 blk out has about 18 to 20 grains of powder, the 6.8 about 25-30 grains, and the 308 Win about 40-45 grains. So, shooting the same suppressor on all 3 rounds, the blk out should, in theory, be more quiet. But by how much, depends on the suppressor, barrel length and other factors. Shoot a 300 blk out supersonic round next to a 308 Win supersonic round, and you WILL be able to tell the difference.

When I developed my 300 blk out subsonic bolt gun ammo, I used a faster burning powder. I would need less powder to push the bullet to the same speed of a slower burning powder (with more powder). This makes it quieter, and helps for a more complete powder burn for a more efficient round and better accuracy. The subsonic ammo designed for AR's run a slower powder with more powder in the case to keep pressures up for cycling. This load will work in a bolt gun, but is not the best option.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: 300 Blackout now mainstream! - 09/10/15 08:37 PM

All of those rabbits and stray cats better watch out now!

Re: 300 Blackout now mainstream! - 09/10/15 11:36 PM

I shot and sold loads of Chads ammo. Excellent Ammo! On several of the early 300 BO's we built, we thru in some of his rounds. aim
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: 300 Blackout now mainstream! - 09/11/15 12:30 AM

I've contemplated going back to 300blk. But for some reason I am drawn to 7.62x39 instead.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: 300 Blackout now mainstream! - 09/11/15 01:35 AM

I don't mind paying a decent premium for quality hunting ammunition.

What I am having a hard time finding is affordable target and fun ammo for the 300blk. I do a fair amount of shooting just for entertainment and the 300blk gets left out of the fun quite often.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: 300 Blackout now mainstream! - 09/11/15 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: okstatefan

What I am having a hard time finding is affordable target and fun ammo for the 300blk. I do a fair amount of shooting just for entertainment and the 300blk gets left out of the fun quite often.

Sounds like time to reload, generally reloading does not save $ but lets you shoot more for the same $
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: 300 Blackout now mainstream! - 09/11/15 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1

Sounds like time to reload, generally reloading does not save $ but lets you shoot more for the same $

yup
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: 300 Blackout now mainstream! - 09/11/15 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
Originally Posted By: kmon1

yup

You are both absolutely correct. I actually have 1k pieces of brass and a couple of pounds of H110. I've been reloading straight-wall pistol rounds for a couple of years, but haven't yet built up the confidence and knowledge to start reloading my rifle rounds yet.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: 300 Blackout now mainstream! - 09/11/15 03:43 AM

Chad has Hornady 150gr FMJ for $.76/rd.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: 300 Blackout now mainstream! - 09/11/15 05:44 AM

This thread got me looking into a lower cost round. The 150 FMJ, 110 V-max, 125 Sierra SP, 115 Berger and maybe a few others would be a good round to offer a large run on with a low price point. The more ammo I make, the less the labor is, but a lower cost bullet also helps. I have 20,000+ of the Berger 115 HP bullets I'd like to move. If someone offered me a decent price for about 10K or 15K rounds, I'd make a huge run for a good price. I'm thinking about making a large run anyway of 115 Berger's for about $78 per 100. But I need the volume to make it work.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: 300 Blackout now mainstream! - 09/11/15 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By: charlesb
All of those rabbits and stray cats better watch out now!

Never understood why some people like to shoot the neighbor's cat. I would never shoot someone else's pet.

Re: 300 Blackout now mainstream! - 09/11/15 05:30 PM

Chad, I bought in with another shop on bulk Black out with 150 grain FMJ (pulls ?) They sold quickly!
But I quit stocking most ARs except price point rifles which are 5.56.
I like your 110 Vmax and 125 SP the most. Back when I had the time I loaded, 110/125 supers and 240 lead Subs.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum