Texas Hunting Forum

slugs

Posted By: rickym

slugs - 09/02/15 09:12 PM

Please excuse my ignorance, can someone explain the difference in slugs. A sabot slug and rifled slug can be the same thing? My shotgun doesn't have a rifled barrel, after going through all the rifled slugs I found some sabot slugs, bought sabot slugs figuring they would work. 2 hours after leaving academy I look at them again. On the side of the box, not at the end of the box where typically displayed, it says for rifled barrels only bang

Now I'm lost.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: slugs - 09/02/15 09:28 PM

Slugs need a little spin to stabilize and Sabot slugs require a rifled barrel to impart that spin. Rifled slugs have "rifling" on the slug to impart spin as it goes through the barrel, they are also generally short in relation to diameter so it doesn't take a lot of spin to help stabilize them.

Bottom line of shooting from a smooth bore use rifled slugs, if the barrel is rifled use Saboted slugs
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: slugs - 09/02/15 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Slugs need a little spin to stabilize and Sabot slugs require a rifled barrel to impart that spin. Rifled slugs have "rifling" on the slug to impart spin as it goes through the barrel, they are also generally short in relation to diameter so it doesn't take a lot of spin to help stabilize them.

Bottom line of shooting from a smooth bore use rifled slugs, if the barrel is rifled use Saboted slugs

+1.
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: slugs - 09/02/15 09:47 PM

You can shoot either one through your smoothbore barrel but if you want the most accuracy you'll need to shoot the rifled slugs.

Re: slugs - 09/02/15 09:47 PM

Ok thanks, my line of thinking was azz backwards
Posted By: nsmike

Re: slugs - 09/02/15 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1

This is 95% correct, I have an old Hastings barrel that the twist is too slow for most sabots, so there are limited exceptions. There are also some slugs designed specifially for rifled choke tubes.

Re: slugs - 09/02/15 10:25 PM

One other question, what choke if any is commonly used with slugs?
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: slugs - 09/02/15 10:54 PM

cylinder bore,,,or improved at most. no need to choke a slug.
Posted By: Barcelona Rick

Re: slugs - 09/02/15 11:05 PM

If your shotgun has replaceable screw in chokes just pickup a rifled version...
Posted By: nsmike

Re: slugs - 09/02/15 11:17 PM

If you go with the rifled choke tubes try the Brenneke KO slugs. They work well with my slow twist barrel and I've heard from other people that they work well with rifled chokes.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: slugs - 09/02/15 11:42 PM

Slug 101. I've been shooting slugs on deer, pigs, and coyotes for about 43 years. Rifled slugs, aka "Foster" are fine for a smoothbore. What choke to use depends on the gun. I get best accuracy from a modified choke, but that's just my gun. "Rifled" slug is a misnomer and marketing. The grooves in a rifled "Foster" slug are not there for rifling at all, they're a gas-check. The minimal spin they impart is an accidental byproduct. Sabot slugs are ONLY for rifled barrels. The rifling gives the sabot somewhere to go and something to grab. Without the rifling you get excessive pressure with a sabot.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum