Texas Hunting Forum

Kids 22

Posted By: jhenderson

Kids 22 - 08/30/15 02:59 AM

Got my son a cricket for Xmas and he's gotten pretty good with it. However my complaint is it sucks for my hands to load up and unload for him. Any semi auto or bolt action with a shorter stock? Size fits him pretty well so not really sure what else to look at without cutting something down.
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Kids 22 - 08/30/15 03:09 AM

I always felt the 10-22 was short in the stock, never quite seemed to fit me right. Might try it out.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Kids 22 - 08/30/15 03:31 AM

The Ruger American bolt action 22s have a stock insert system, and they also have a compact version.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Kids 22 - 08/30/15 11:34 AM

How old is he? A 10/22 carbine would probably be fine.
Posted By: Rembrandt

Re: Kids 22 - 08/30/15 01:08 PM

The best .22 I've found for youngsters is the Ruger Charger. It requires no upper body strength to support, simply pivot on the bipod and fire. Down side is its a auto....easy to go through a lot of ammo.

Re: Kids 22 - 08/30/15 01:15 PM

What sight/scope is that on your charger?
Posted By: cyphertext

Re: Kids 22 - 08/30/15 01:58 PM

If your son is shooting a Cricket and you are loading and unloading for him, I am going to take a guess and say he is young... like 5 or 6 years young, correct? The 10/22 and the Ruger American compact are huge and heavy when compared to the Cricket, and too big for small children to handle. Savage makes a similar size gun, but I would assume you will have the same issue.

My advice, just stick with the Cricket. He will get big enough to load the round in the chamber, pull the plunger back himself, and manipulate the bolt. The Cricket is a proper fit for a kid, and if they do any hunting, it is light enough for them to carry and shoot from a standing position. My boy shot his Cricket until he was around 9 or 10.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Kids 22 - 08/30/15 02:22 PM

I stumbled upon a beautiful walnut 10/22 stock that has been customized for a kid. It'll be the basis for my first grandchild's rifle.

A 10/22 is a great starter rifle for a kid and it can grow with the kid to last him a lifetime. There is a nice kit to make them into a single shot too.

Re: Kids 22 - 08/30/15 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: cyphertext
If your son is shooting a Cricket and you are loading and unloading for him, I am going to take a guess and say he is young... like 5 or 6 years young, correct? The 10/22 and the Ruger American compact are huge and heavy when compared to the Cricket, and too big for small children to handle. Savage makes a similar size gun, but I would assume you will have the same issue.

My advice, just stick with the Cricket. He will get big enough to load the round in the chamber, pull the plunger back himself, and manipulate the bolt. The Cricket is a proper fit for a kid, and if they do any hunting, it is light enough for them to carry and shoot from a standing position. My boy shot his Cricket until he was around 9 or 10.
Yeah if he is that young, just stick with the cricket.

Re: Kids 22 - 08/30/15 04:44 PM

He's almost 8 and size wise it still fits ok just with the scope that I put on it there isn't much room to get in there for me. But he's pretty much mastered it at this point and does load it himself some and it may be partially my fault for not letting him do it always.

Re: Kids 22 - 08/30/15 04:44 PM

But on the flip side may be a fairly custom cricket for sale soon
Posted By: Rembrandt

Re: Kids 22 - 08/30/15 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
What sight/scope is that on your charger?

Sight Mark

Posted By: 12shotgun

Re: Kids 22 - 08/31/15 02:14 AM

Got my then 8yr old son a Ruger American Rimfire, comes in standard or compact butt, and straight or highr comb for scope. You get 2 stocks of same length with the different comb. It is very very nice. Easy to cycle and takes 10 round 10/22 mags.
Posted By: Murphscout

Re: Kids 22 - 08/31/15 02:20 AM

Mine has the Savage Rascal. Single shot like cricket but do not have to pull the bolt. accutrigger is nice
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Kids 22 - 08/31/15 02:43 AM

Mine got a Henry goldenboy. Not far off from fitting him, but he needs to get a little older and master a red ryder first.
Posted By: bull279

Re: Kids 22 - 09/11/15 03:13 AM

Henry makes a youth Mini Bolt rifle. The other one I would recommen is the Marlin model 60
Posted By: Ridinbackwards

Re: Kids 22 - 09/12/15 03:39 AM

+1 on the Ruger American rifles. I'm not a fan of the (factory) 10/22 rifles for a kid. Too loud in their face, and triggers are crummy and hard for a kid to pull.

A good bolt action with a tried and true rotary magazine, and an semi adjustable trigger. Safety on the tang is positive and visible to shooter and you looking over their shoulder.
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Kids 22 - 09/13/15 01:07 AM

Mossberg plinkster?
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Kids 22 - 09/14/15 12:54 PM

CZ scout, comes as a single shot and comes with conversions part to change to magazine feed..
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Kids 22 - 09/14/15 01:08 PM

I have a 10/22 with a tapco stock. It's one of these goofy tacticool 22 setups with an adjustable rear like an m4 carbine. I've had various friends borrow it for their little kids and they've all shot it successfully. Being so easily adjustable has been a side benefit I never thought of before.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum