Texas Hunting Forum

Of all the guns you own...

Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 06:48 AM

I see several ads in the classifieds saying that people are looking to sell guns and they have never shot them. I am curious... I have 7 firearms that I have yet to shoot, although none are collector items. How about you?
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 07:09 AM

None. Also, I don't have any ribeyes in the fridge I haven't ate.

What's the point of having a non-museum quality firearm if you're not going to throw some lead from it?
Posted By: Deep Sea

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 07:12 AM

I have 2 that I have never shot, one of them I probably never will. I have a semi-auto shotgun I bought off a fellow THF'er last year that my wife picked up while I was overseas. I keep forgetting I have it! And a 338 wm that belonged to my wifes ex and I was excited about getting it till I was informed I could use it, but it was her sons gun. Normally wouldn't rile me up, but I had spent a ton of money to get this and other things the wife had to have back from Alaska and this was supposed to go into my collection. Put it in the safe and probably will never touch it again.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 07:41 AM

I have 20+ rifles/pistols that my grandpa left me and I have only shot a handful. The only one I shoot on a yearly basis is the 1951 Winchester Model 70 in .243

All three of my kids will kill their first deer with this gun.
Posted By: Novemberyet

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 08:17 AM

What guns? confused2

A dozen or so new that have never been shot and a few used that sit.
Posted By: shark 25-06

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 11:26 AM

I dont own any guns that i have not shot.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 11:28 AM

Originally Posted By: shark 25-06
Posted By: txcornhusker

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 12:14 PM

I have 1 I've never fired and never will. It's a gold plated colt revolver I received as a gift from a client a few years ago.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 12:17 PM

None.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 12:22 PM

I bought my daughter a Savage 22 when she was a few months old that's still in the wrapper two years later. I have a Marlin 308SDT that I bought to hold on to, a Ruger American that I haven't had a chance to shoot, and an AR in 5.45x39 that I haven't shot.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 12:56 PM

Just 2
Posted By: southern_fowler

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 01:01 PM

Just 1 a John Wayne Commemorative my dad gave me.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 01:18 PM

I have a couple handed down thru the family that I probably will just leave in the safe....
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Shotgun Willie
None. Also, I don't have any ribeyes in the fridge I haven't ate.

What's the point of having a non-museum quality firearm if you're not going to throw some lead from it?

I agree. It comes down to time and opportunity.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 01:25 PM

I have a 6.8 upper that I haven't had a chance to swap and shoot, but other than that I've shot every gun I own.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

I have a couple handed down thru the family that I probably will just leave in the safe....

Agreed, other thana couple that are unsafe/too old, guns are tools to me, why have a new hammer?
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 02:16 PM

I have 4 that are used every year for their purpose. Non just sit... I had two that were like that and they got stolen... at least someone is using them now.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw
Posted By: glens

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 02:37 PM

I don't own any guns!!

I would not have shot any of them "IF" I owned some.

fixed it. ninja
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 03:23 PM

I have an excellent condition Browning A-5 that the serial number dates to about 1913. Have never shot it and never will. I also have a 1969 A-5 that's un-fired. I've had it a few years and have been waffling about it. I think I'm going to shoot it this dove season.
Posted By: shumpertdavid

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 06:31 PM

I have some stuff in my safe that I haven't shot yet, but will likely take out at some point. My father passed recently and will be liquidating some of his collection, There will be some stuff that has never been fired other than testing at the factory. Valmet .223 is one example, I know he bought it in the early 90's.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 07:32 PM

One... I don't own toys I don't use...

It is a colt mustang I won in a weekly drawing thing... I wouldn't have paid full price for it but 50 bucks... suure I'll take it lol
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: catslayer
One... I don't own toys I don't use...

It is a colt mustang I won in a weekly drawing thing... I wouldn't have paid full price for it but 50 bucks... suure I'll take it lol

If you want to double your money on that Colt Mustang let me know. I'll shoot it.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 09:01 PM

I don't have any that aren't used fairly regularly. I've sold a bunch that were repetitive or didn't get shot much.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/29/15 09:09 PM

Sounded like a crazy question to me until I thought about it and realized I have two or maybe three I have never fired. Gotta do something about this soon!
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/30/15 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Sounded like a crazy question to me until I thought about it and realized I have two or maybe three I have never fired. Gotta do something about this soon!

Me too. Both are shot guns. I don't hunt. One is a bird gun, one SD for home. Seems like an OK excuse.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/30/15 12:33 AM

I have several really nice guns which never get shot....will use them to raise money for next build
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/30/15 12:38 AM

If it doesn't get used, it goes down the road. I have a couple of my father's rifles that will be passed down. Those are the only exceptions.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/30/15 01:07 AM

Unless it's a collector type item, I just can't understand owning one you don't shoot.
Posted By: grizzlyman

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/30/15 01:36 AM

I have two that I have bought in the last year that I haven't shot but will soon.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 08/30/15 01:40 AM

I have two that belonged to my grandfather that belong to me now. My father picked them up earlier this year and is keeping them for me until I can get back home. I will shoot them.
Posted By: senderoman

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 09/01/15 05:54 PM

My grandpa told me before he died,he was leaving me his Elgin double barrel made around 1900.He told me not to keep it as a relic,but hunt with it and enjoy.I take it out every year,if only once
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 09/01/15 06:04 PM

Only one. The last Winchester Custom Shop Model 70 7mm-08 ever made. Saving it for a buddy's daughter.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 09/01/15 07:26 PM

Just one, its a marlin ssv 22 mag new in box. I have another similar, but an older model. Waiting on scope, its at post office today and may mount it when I get back. Also have a model 60 on the way that is new in the box, but an older model, and a marlin ss 22. bolt action on the way, but its used. Never shot any of them. grin
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 09/01/15 07:29 PM

Oh wait theres more a 22 250 customized mouser action/ bull barrel and a mouser action .308 customized. Think that's it. Those are already here. grin
Posted By: JJH

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 09/01/15 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: titan2232
I have 20+ rifles/pistols that my grandpa left me and I have only shot a handful. The only one I shoot on a yearly basis is the 1951 Winchester Model 70 in .243

All three of my kids will kill their first deer with this gun.

That's quite a collector's item...seeing as how the 243 wasn't introduced until '55.. grin
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 09/01/15 10:07 PM

1 Shotgun that I haven't shot.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Of all the guns you own... - 09/02/15 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
I see several ads in the classifieds saying that people are looking to sell guns and they have never shot them. I am curious... I have 7 firearms that I have yet to shoot, although none are collector items. How about you?

May be true "THEY" have never shot the gun.

I've gotten guns in on trade as part of partial cash/gun trades and that is usually when I don't fire a gun.

Otherwise if I BUY IT I shoot it !
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum