Texas Hunting Forum

If you had a grand...

Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

If you had a grand... - 08/29/15 06:45 AM

And you were wanting to buy a shotgun... something that would be an heirloom piece. Semi auto or o/u. What would you buy? New or gently used. I have a couple Remy 1100's already so not that particular shotgun. 20 or 12 gauge is what I am looking for.
Posted By: P_102

Re: If you had a grand... - 08/29/15 11:17 AM

My personal preference would be a lightly used Beretta 303, 390 or 391 in 20 gauge if for hunting...they don't show up often but when they do they are usually less than a grand . For target use I waited patiently for the right Rem. 3200, finally found one in new condition in the exact configuration I wanted and at a price lower than all the 'well used' ones I found. Patience is key for a buy like you are describing once you decide what you want.

P_102
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: If you had a grand... - 08/29/15 01:14 PM

I sold a Beretta A303 yesterday for $406 out the door. It had been hunted with, but was mechanically sound as could be. I like Benelli's, myself.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: If you had a grand... - 08/29/15 01:37 PM

Ruger Red Label.
Posted By: rickym

Re: If you had a grand... - 08/29/15 01:39 PM

I'd go with a nice Browning or weatherby
Posted By: Crews

Re: If you had a grand... - 08/29/15 02:47 PM

nice solid used Beretta 391.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: If you had a grand... - 08/29/15 02:55 PM

Citori 20ga.
Posted By: RedRaider13

Re: If you had a grand... - 08/29/15 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Ruger Red Label.

What Quit Shooting said, Ruger Red Lable. It's a sweet shooting gun.
Posted By: rickym

Re: If you had a grand... - 08/30/15 01:56 PM

Or a used benelli montefeltro
Posted By: cyphertext

Re: If you had a grand... - 08/30/15 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRaider13
Ruger Red Label.

I thought he was joking... The Red Lables that I have had experience with were sweet shooting... but not sweet at ejecting. Shells would get caught under the ejectors. Very common problem with the Red Label. Not to mention that Ruger has dropped them from the line up, again...
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: If you had a grand... - 08/30/15 07:33 PM

no real heirlooms here (maybe the Citori)but all good suggestion for a nice shotgun. for your $K , a Benelli Super Black Eagle II. Arguably, The perfect do it all shotgun.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: If you had a grand... - 08/30/15 09:35 PM

[quote=TXHOGSLAYER]And you were wanting to buy a shotgun... something that would be an heirloom piece. Semi auto or o/u. What would you buy? New or gently used. I have a couple Remy 1100's already so not that particular shotgun. 20 or 12 gauge is what I am looking for. [/quote

Since you said "heirloom piece" and semi-auto is in the mix, I have to go with what I know and love. You can find a very nice Browning A-5 from mid-50's to late 60's (pre-Jap manufacture) for well under that price and have money left for a nice custom case. A well cared for Belgium made A-5 is seldom outclassed wherever it's pulled out. It may be out-shot, that's up to the shooter, but it'll seldom be outclassed.

Re: If you had a grand... - 08/30/15 10:01 PM

Great option Slow Drifter, those "real" A-5's are really nice and will always draw a double take from an old gun guy like me!!
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: If you had a grand... - 08/30/15 10:45 PM

One word, three syllables; Cynergy!
Great shooting guns and beautiful to boot!
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: If you had a grand... - 08/31/15 01:11 AM

16 gauge Citori
Posted By: patriot07

Re: If you had a grand... - 08/31/15 02:53 AM

I'm interested in reading the responses on this one also. My thread about semi-autos was intended to be a similar idea. I want something that can be an heirloom. Doesn't need to be the nicest shotgun of all time, but just a reliable semi-auto from a big name manufacturer (Benelli, Beretta, or Browning preferably) and I wouldn't even mind some fancy trim or engraving.
Posted By: P_102

Re: If you had a grand... - 08/31/15 09:52 AM

Since you mention engraving... How about a really nice Model 12 (yes, not an OU or semi), definitely an heirloom piece and plenty of room on left side of receiver for your name and the names of future owners. What grandchild wouldn't dream of the day their name is added!?
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: If you had a grand... - 08/31/15 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: cyphertext
Originally Posted By: RedRaider13
Ruger Red Label.

I thought he was joking... The Red Lables that I have had experience with were sweet shooting... but not sweet at ejecting. Shells would get caught under the ejectors. Very common problem with the Red Label. Not to mention that Ruger has dropped them from the line up, again...

I had not heard of the issues with the ejectors. I just always thought it was a good-looking classy gun and you don't see that many of them so it kinda fit the 'heirloom' idea.
Posted By: Buffs 1

Re: If you had a grand... - 08/31/15 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
and I wouldn't even mind some fancy trim or engraving.

Franchi Fenice maybe?
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: If you had a grand... - 09/01/15 01:12 AM

Some great suggestions. Thanks everyone. I have always liked the look of the A5. I think that might be the one for me this go around.
Posted By: TexasEd

Re: If you had a grand... - 09/02/15 08:30 PM

If I had a grand I would save another one and get a Beretta 686

Re: If you had a grand... - 09/02/15 10:36 PM

Or 3 more and get a 692
Posted By: TRoberts

Re: If you had a grand... - 09/02/15 11:46 PM

Or 3-4 more and try to find a King Ranch edition 686
Posted By: 280AI

Re: If you had a grand... - 09/02/15 11:48 PM

or 4-5 more and find a K-80