Texas Hunting Forum

FiremanJG school of shooting

Posted By: 68A

FiremanJG school of shooting - 08/23/15 09:57 PM

Guys,

Just wanted to take a moment to write a quick review/thank you for FiremanJG and the class he offers. I have no claim to being a good writer, so bear with me.

To begin, I was a bit skeptical of taking his class in the first place. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I am not the best shot in the world. I have the want to, and I am willing to learn, just suffice it to say I am hesitant to shoot around people I am not comfortable with, or that dont know me well. Right off the bat, meeting Jason and just speaking with him I could tell tthat we would have no problems getting along, his positive attitude was apparent from the start. I was skeptical of my own abilities, and his claim that he would have me hitting that little bitty target at anything past 100 yds gave me a good chuckle. I was thinking "this guy is gonna be disappointed when he sees me shoot." I was wrong. Completely.

The day started with some whiteboard time. Jason thoroughly explained every aspect of proper mechanics, ballistics, trajectory, reading wind and all things a basic shooter should know, in a manner that was simple and easy to understand. After scrambling my brain for a couple hours, we moved into the hands on portion. I am sure he could tell, but my first few shots were frustrating for me and I was already beginning to get down on myself, but Jason persisted we continue. To my disbelief and shock, over the next few hours Jason had me punching steel at 100 yd increments all the way out to 800 yds. After a couple rounds, I ran through every target with a first shot hit at almost every distance. I was pleasantly surprised. He managed to keep me from beating myself up when I did miss and would walk me through what went wrong and how to correct, all while remaining extremely professional and courteous.

In conclusion, I will say this: If he can take someone like me and build my confidence, dont be skeptical about taking his course. He built my confidence and he proved to me that I am capable of something I previously thought I wasnt. Jason is a hell of a guy, and I will say it again, Jason, thanks for your positive attitude and proving me wrong. It was a pleasure and I look forward to shooting with you again.

I am attaching a picture of my 800 yd target. I was probably only 50%-75% at this distance but I am proud of it. To alot of yall I realize its horrible shooting, but to me it represents the impossible is possible.

Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: FiremanJG school of shooting - 08/23/15 10:26 PM

Nothing to be ashamed of there. That is a good target at 800 for never shooting that far before. Jason is not only a great shooter but he can teach it too. cheers

Walter
Posted By: DStroud

Re: FiremanJG school of shooting - 08/23/15 10:44 PM

Good write up. Taking that first step in almost any endeavor can be the hardest part.... glad to see it was positive and rewarding. happy3
Posted By: J.G.

Re: FiremanJG school of shooting - 08/24/15 01:09 AM

It was a pleasure having you out for the day!
You had a noticed improvement from morning to afternoon, and that even shows at 100 yard paper.

The slightly scattered group at 800 is the fault of the ammo Chad loaded. peep
Posted By: patriot07

Re: FiremanJG school of shooting - 08/24/15 01:15 AM

That's awesome! 800 yards is a ridiculous distance. You should be proud of that target.

I need to get out there and take his class. I'm way too close and way too much of a novice to miss that opportunity. I'm working to free up the cash. With two kids, it takes some time.
Posted By: Judd

Re: FiremanJG school of shooting - 08/24/15 02:05 PM

Congrats...that's awesome. I know JG well enough to tell you that he was as happy (if not happier) to see you succeed and get better as you were. It's a trait of a great teacher and JG has it.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: FiremanJG school of shooting - 08/24/15 02:09 PM

Great write up and shooting. JG has opened the door for long range shooting for many of us and I, just like you, had never shot at anything beyond 250 or so.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: FiremanJG school of shooting - 08/24/15 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
It was a pleasure having you out for the day!
You had a noticed improvement from morning to afternoon, and that even shows at 100 yard paper.

The slightly scattered group at 800 is the fault of the ammo Chad loaded. peep

SHOTS FIRED!

sounds like a good day
Posted By: Deep Sea

Re: FiremanJG school of shooting - 08/25/15 10:17 AM

My son and I took Jason's class last November, had a similar experience, great guy and good at getting me and my 11yo to understand. Explained it in a manner that was not talking down to me, and was easy enough for my son to understand. We both were hitting 800 (11 year old 60 lb kiddo shooting a full size .308 and he was 3 for 3 at 800!

My only suggesting is to keep shooting, I have only been out a few times since class and regret it as I have not committed to memory what I was taught. Still have to think about it all to keep shooting well.

I plug Jason to all my friends and try to get them to come out and see him.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: FiremanJG school of shooting - 08/25/15 05:58 PM

Bastrop, are you close to Tiger Valley near Waco? Not sure if its open for Public shooting though.
Posted By: Deep Sea

Re: FiremanJG school of shooting - 08/26/15 01:27 AM

There is a 380 yd range like 5 miles from my house, but it is a private range and not set up very well yet. I have met with the owner and joined up, but then had to leave town for work. It is essentially a mound to shoot from into a berm to shoot at. Not the best, but close to the house. Best of the West range is about 1:15 or so from me, and they actually have a 1k yd range. I will be using my local range with a 100 yd range to ensure my new scope is on the money, then heading out to Best of the West.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum