Texas Hunting Forum

Caliber choice for elk

Posted By: hookemhorns

Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 05:27 PM

I have a rifle elk hunt booked for next September and I am trying to choose a caliber. Dont tell me about gun, I have already decided on a Tikka because of the out of the box performance and sucess I have had with my other two.

Tell me why I should choose one of the following calibers or make a difference choice. Regardless it will have a muzzle brake put on it.

300WSM
300 Win Mag
7mm Rem Mag

Thanks
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: hookemhorns
I have a rifle elk hunt booked for next September and I am trying to choose a caliber. Dont tell me about gun, I have already decided on a Tikka because of the out of the box performance and sucess I have had with my other two.

Tell me why I should choose one of the following calibers or make a difference choice. Regardless it will have a muzzle brake put on it.

300WSM
300 Win Mag
7mm Rem Mag

Thanks

Any of those will work just fine. Pot full of Elk have been killed with 30.06 and .270 and the new rage is .338......How far you planning on shooting and how much recoil can you stand? yingyang
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 05:48 PM

I would be most comfortable with the 300WSM. Took both of my New Mexico bulls with a 270WSM and 130 grain TSX.
Posted By: spg

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 05:52 PM

I vote 7mag
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 06:03 PM

Since you want a dedicated elk rifle and you're mounting a brake anyway, I'd say go with the .300 Winchester.
Posted By: glb1955

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 06:10 PM

I have taken elk with both the 300 WSM and the 300 Win Mag. Since you are putting a brake on it might as well go with the Win Mag since ammo is a bit easier to find. IF you reload then it really doesn't matter. Both are good rounds.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 06:12 PM

I went 300 Win Mag.

any of those will be more than enough. Will be hard to make a big argument for one over the other.

I just like the sound of 300 win mag frown
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 06:17 PM

Get Barnes SSTX and almost any caliber, 270 cal and up, will do.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 06:23 PM

Brake? Me no need a Brake? Me "big" boy! clap
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 07:09 PM

Mass produced barreled action (not a custom barrel) and have to live with a mass produced twist rate the 300 Win Mag is my choice.

The Tikka 7 Rem Mag will stabilize 168 gr. but not 180 gr bullets. The short mag can be a pain to find brass for and a pain to make shoot according to our resident living hand load encyclopedia Chad. The 300 Win Mag Tikka with a 1:10" twist will stabilize 210 gr bullets as well as down to 180 gr. Look at the thread I have on the Tikka 300 Win Mag. A good friend of mine asked me to pick out a brand new elk rifle for him and my experience and research landed me on that rifle in that chambering. It is doing very well. We did put a brake on it prior to any shooting. It stanilizes the 210 gr Bergers like a champ and even though it is a 24" barrel it makes 2780 fps on the best powder charge range. That yeilds 2000 ft/lbs at 500 yards eek2
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 07:54 PM

30-30
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 08:01 PM

300 win mag
Posted By: postoak

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 08:03 PM

How much does the Tikka weigh?

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: postoak
How much does the Tikka weigh?

Under 7 pounds I believe. Their website has it listed. They are very light!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 08:18 PM

.300 Win Mag

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 08:33 PM

I wouldn't own a .300 Win Mag in a sub-seven-pounds rifle. Save that caliber for the 7 1/4 - 7 1/2 pound rifle.

Oh wait, you're putting a brake on it, right? Then never mind.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 09:15 PM

300wm, load you up some 180gr ABs and have fun.
Posted By: killen

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 09:18 PM

300 win mag
Posted By: boonee

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 10:00 PM

300 Weatherby 180gr Barnes triple shock (no lead) bullets
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 10:03 PM

.338 Win.

Professional hunters and guides detest a muzzle brake. I do too.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
300wm, load you up some 180gr ABs and have fun.

190 accubond lrs smile if you can find them

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
.338 Win.

And people that shoot more than ten rounds a year love them. Any guide that would try to dictate if I could have a brake on my rifle would be fired before he was hired.

Moving on...

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
.338 Win.

And people that shoot more than ten rounds a year love them. Any guide that would try to dictate if I could have a brake on my rifle would be fired before he was hired.

Moving on...

'Respect your experience and training skills. I shoot way more than ten rounds a year and I still hate 'em. Of course, there are people on here that think if there's anyone else with you when you pull the trigger, you're not really hunting.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 10:32 PM

I understand not liking the noise increase. But if I was a guide I would rather have a confident shooter with a brake than a non confident shooter without one

a brake is one of the easiest things to add to a stock rifle to make it more easier to shoot.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 10:39 PM

My argument has been and still is this: If you're not shooting suppressed you should have on hearing protection anyway. The argument there is never time is lost on me. I keep plugs around my neck and put them in more times that not, making a shot on an animal. Might as well do it with half the recoil.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Cleric
I understand not liking the noise increase. But if I was a guide I would rather have a confident shooter with a brake than a non confident shooter without one

a brake is one of the easiest things to add to a stock rifle to make it more easier to shoot.

+1
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 10:42 PM

.338 Win.

Moving on...

Who said they're trying to dictate? I don't like sharing a range with them, I understand why there used, it doesn't change the fact that they're obnoxious. If I were guiding I'd just wear my electronic muffs.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 10:43 PM

If I had the energy, we could spin this to the level of the high fence debate. Life's too short.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/06/15 11:09 PM

I've shot one more elk with the 7mm RM than the .300 WM (3 vs 2). Both rounds did the trick with no fuss. I've never owned nor used a .300 WSM.

The OP wants to build a dedicated elk rifle, so I'm assuming he owns a lighter gun for whitetails and smaller game. I'm also assuming that he doesn't own a heavy rifle like a .338 WM or .375 H&H. So, I recommend he get a rifle chambered in .300 WM, which would be darn-near perfect for elk, and it would also give him a little more upside should he choose one day to pursue a moose or big bear. FWIW, I'm toting a .300 Winny with 200 gr Partitions for a coastal grizzly on the Seward Peninsula later this month ( and I'm a big fan of the .338 and 250 bullets for Alaskan bears).

It is true that guides dislike muzzle brakes. I don't care for them either. I always use a sissy pad like the PAST pad when at the bench or practicing. And when making the shot in the field, I never notice recoil because I'm caught up in the excitement of the moment.

But the OP has written that he will opt for a brake, so I suppose his mind is firmly made up. And unless the OP is hunting alone, a 15% tip to his guide will easily square things up with him and his ringing ears. A compromise would be a MagnaPort system. The MP reduces recoil somewhat and is very effective in mitigating muzzle jump, which is a significant factor in perceived recoil. And unlike a typical brake, the MP won't blow up a dust storm should the shooter choose a prone shot. And the MP is quieter than the average brake, at least to my ears.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/07/15 12:24 AM

I would use my .270 and never look back. It's all about shot placement and confidence.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/07/15 12:28 AM

300 Win Mag
7 Rem Mag

In that order.
Posted By: TxYoteHunter

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/07/15 02:26 AM

I'll go to Montana in November and I'll take my .338 WM (with brake) and my 30.06 as my back up rifle. .338 will have Barnes 225 gr TSX-FB and the 30.06 will have Barnes 180 gr TSX BT. I'm sure my .270 would be sufficient, it just didn't make the cut this year.
Any of the choices on your list will be fine. Just put em in a hat and draw the winner.
Posted By: A.B.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/07/15 02:38 AM

300 win mag followed closely with 7mm mag.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/07/15 05:19 AM

Guides cover their ears as the client starts to shoot. It would only be a problem hunting dangerous game, where they have to keep their gun at the ready.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/07/15 05:26 AM

For a dedicated elk rifle, why not go with a braked .338 Win. Mag? I'd opt for the regular weight Tikka T3 over the Lite, though.

Tikka T3 Hunter Stainless

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/07/15 04:05 PM

Guides cover their ears as the client starts to shoot. It would only be a problem hunting dangerous game, where they have to keep their gun at the ready.

Guide should have both hands on a pair of binoculars and helping look for impact to know how to proceed. Behind a spotter they can cover ears though.
Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/07/15 04:29 PM

What kind of COAL does the tikka mag afford? That would help make my decision.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/07/15 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua
What kind of COAL does the tikka mag afford? That would help make my decision.

No where near touching rifling. My notes are not with me or I could tell you how much of a jump it is to rifling on the particular 300 Win Mag my friend has.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/07/15 05:53 PM

I don't jam, but I like to be close to the rifling. Sounds like the 7mag or wsm, in a long magazine, may make more sense.

It all depends on tikka's throating.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/07/15 05:59 PM

Carbon Express
Posted By: SHAKER

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/07/15 10:40 PM

As i keep snooping on here but don't get into discussions this is one topic I have been around allot here in British Columbia. Which round would you pick? the one you can shoot the best. If your not recoil shy I really do love my 338 wm loaded up with 250gr nosler partitions. I've shot elk at 20 yards and shot my last bull at 580. Elk are tough but shot placement is everything.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/07/15 10:44 PM

Guide should have both hands on a pair of binoculars and helping look for impact to know how to proceed. Behind a spotter they can cover ears though.

That's a good point, and another reason I'm no fan of brakes. But if the OP is going to have one, he might as well use it and get the .338 WM.
Posted By: 505ed

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/08/15 02:59 PM

I will say I love 338s they do big work! Aside to this the 300 win mag is a good option, and at sub 8lbs a brake is a Necessity. I have met very few that could take 60 foot pounds of recoil and not develop a flinch. I have a 338 ultra, and a 340 WBY....they kick!!! I also have a 500 Asquare, 505 rimless mag, 404 rimless, and owned 3 different 577 doubles...they all are more pleasant to shoot than my light weight 340. Any of the option you put up with wack an elk , no problem. I would get a load one likes with a good 165 + grain bullet, and practice shooting....and I mean a bunch!!! That will pay off, and the guide will not same a damn thing about your brake if you can shoot out to 300 with ease...have fun on your elk hunt

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/08/15 03:30 PM

That's a good point, and another reason I'm no fan of brakes. But if the OP is going to have one, he might as well use it and get the .338 WM.

Why? 300WM is more Than enough. Why get the 338?
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/08/15 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: syncerus
Since you want a dedicated elk rifle and you're mounting a brake anyway, I'd say go with the .300 Winchester.
X2
Posted By: 30378

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/09/15 06:31 PM

Any of the 3 choices the original poster suggested will do just fine. The bullet or projectile used is a much more important choice.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/09/15 08:20 PM

Why? 300WM is more Than enough. Why get the 338?

Well, the .270 is enough, too, but more won't hurt, and it might help. My thinking is that with the brake he might as well go with more gun to take full advantage of it.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/09/15 08:24 PM

Then why not a 338 RUM? grin

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/09/15 08:48 PM

Then why not a 338 RUM? grin

Because the Tikka doesn't come in the RUM, but it does come in .338 WM.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/09/15 08:51 PM

There's nothing wrong with the 300 WM a lot depends on what other caliber rifles the OP has. I have a 30-06, it lauches a 165 at 2900 fps, the 300 will launch a 180 at 2960. While both are a step up, a 338 WM will launch a 225 at 2960, a really big step up in performance. The question is is the increase in performance enough to justify a new rifle and caliber? I personally would go with the 338 in a heavier weight rifle or get by with my 30-06 YMMV.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/09/15 09:08 PM

300wm gets more case capacity than the 338 out of that 375H&H parent case.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/09/15 09:24 PM

For the .338 suggestors, what bullet would you suggest? And therefore what BC does said bullet have?

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/09/15 09:30 PM

For the .338 suggestors, what bullet would you suggest? And therefore what BC does said bullet have?

I'm not going to shoot over 300 so I don't care! I would choose 338 to fit my requirements.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/09/15 09:34 PM

300gr AB (but rather it start faster than the 338wm would allow). Nosler shows .720, but it'll be less than that .

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/09/15 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: nsmike

I'm not going to shoot over 300 so I don't care! I would choose 338 to fit my requirements.

So a .300 WM wouldn't get the job done?

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/09/15 09:39 PM

300gr AB (but rather it start faster than the 338wm would allow). Nosler shows .720, but it'll be less than that .

That is a very high BC.
Posted By: bo3

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/09/15 09:44 PM

300 bo anything more is overkill. stir

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/09/15 11:15 PM

What I said is that, there is not enough of an increase from the 30-06 to the 300 WM in how I would use it, to justify a new gun and caliber. Within my self defined range limitations I would go to the 338 likely with 225 grains with the option to go to 250. If you want to base a desicion on long range considerations fine that's good for you. My thoughts are based on the consideration that if I'm going to go bigger, it's because Africa is in the equation, that's where I would want the flexibility.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/09/15 11:56 PM

I've owned .300 Win mag and .338 Win mag, both are fine hunting cartridges.

As one would expect, the .338 has a definite edge where larger animals are concerned. - And you can always load it down a bit, all the way to 33 Winchester, 338 Federal or 338-06 levels if the hunt that you are considering calls for less power.

If I had to pick a cartridge to handle any big game hunting situation likely to be encountered in the western hemisphere, the .338 Winchester magnum would be near, if not at the top of the list.

I've never tried .338 Win mag with a muzzle brake, it recoils but it's not so violent that you cannot learn to shrug it off with a bit of practice. My Winchester model 70 Sporter was not significantly unpleasant to shoot with this cartridge. The gun had enough barrel and weight to act like it should with it... Accurate, too.

With practice comes confidence and ability. - That is true with any cartridge, whether it has significant recoil or not.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/10/15 12:14 AM

What I said is that, there is not enough of an increase from the 30-06 to the 300 WM in how I would use it, to justify a new gun and caliber. Within my self defined range limitations I would go to the 338 likely with 225 grains with the option to go to 250. If you want to base a desicion on long range considerations fine that's good for you. My thoughts are based on the consideration that if I'm going to go bigger, it's because Africa is in the equation, that's where I would want the flexibility.

I never spoke of long range, only asked what the BC is. What you would do makes sense, but it really doesn't apply to OP's situation.

My elk rifle is a 7 Rem Mag shooting 180 gr. Bergers, and it killed a bull at 200 yards in one shot. But 5 pages ago I explained that a factory twist won't stabilize a 180 gr 7mm, however a factory twist 300 Win Mag wil stabilize a 210 gr. I also have recent experience shooting a light weight Tikka T-3 firing 210's. Even with a brake the recoil is fairly significant.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/10/15 02:10 AM

A Hornady 225 SST is .515, A Sierra 215 GameKing .485 above 2000 fps, The Sierra Pro Hunter .455 between 2900 and 2350.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/10/15 02:13 AM

Why are we arguing about a round the op never asked about? You can argue about 338 vs 30 vs 7mm all day but it's all personal preference. They all have their pros and cons.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/10/15 03:10 AM

If I ever go elk hunting with a rifle again, which is doubtful, I will take my .243.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/10/15 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By: bo323
Why are we arguing about a round the op never asked about? You can argue about 338 vs 30 vs 7mm all day but it's all personal preference. They all have their pros and cons.

What else have we got to do? smile
Posted By: HorizonFirearms

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/10/15 04:17 AM

I have been out for a while and Just saw this one. I love hose these run on forever so I am going to throw this one in there. I will be in Wyoming in about 4 weeks with a new 28 nosler and 175 LRs Cant wait to see how it does on the elk. Already got a good bull showing up pretty often.
Derrick

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/10/15 05:35 AM

A wild guess, but I'll bet it performs like the STW. grin
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/10/15 09:44 AM

A wild guess, but I'll bet it performs like the STW. grin

Yup, and the STW works for elk.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/10/15 11:40 AM

A Hornady 225 SST is .515, A Sierra 215 GameKing .485 above 2000 fps, The Sierra Pro Hunter .455 between 2900 and 2350.

What speeds does a .338 Win Mag push those?

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/10/15 12:24 PM

Originally Posted By: HorizonFirearms
I have been out for a while and Just saw this one. I love hose these run on forever so I am going to throw this one in there. I will be in Wyoming in about 4 weeks with a new 28 nosler and 175 LRs Cant wait to see how it does on the elk. Already got a good bull showing up pretty often.
Derrick

Derrick...what do you know about guns smile. Taking my 300 you made elk hunting in October smile

If we all agree that 7mm mag or 300 win mag have plenty of power to get the Job done. Why would you go 338.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/10/15 02:21 PM

The general rule is that when comparing two cartridges of similar but not the same diameter:

Shooting the same weight bullet, the larger diameter will start off a bit faster, (More base area, less contact area with the barrel) but then will slow down a bit faster too due to a lower (for weight) ballistic coefficient.

So if the same bullet weight is being compared, it might come out close to even between a .270 and a .280 for example, or a .300 and a .338 at typical hunting ranges.

Shooting a larger weight but same BC bullet from the larger (but similar) diameter cartridge will start off slower at first, but at greater ranges will retain velocity better, exceeding the lighter weight, smaller diameter projectile at some point - and then go on to deliver higher energy levels and more killing power at the target.

The longer the range, the greater the advantage the heavier but same BC bullet will have to offer.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/10/15 02:38 PM

Any of the 3 will obviously work. I'm partial to the Tikkas, as I've been shooting them for over 15 years. I've taken my Tikka 695 in 7mm Rem Mag to Africa 3 times and taken over 30 head of game up through wildebeest and zebra sized plains game. The 160 Nosler accubond did a fantastic job on these animals with moderate recoil. You can't go wrong with this combo.

FWIW, I have guided 120+ hunters over the past 13 years for mule deer, whitetail, aoudad, and antelope in W TX. I hate muzzle brakes too.....absolutely hate 'em.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/10/15 03:01 PM

2800 to 2850
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/10/15 04:38 PM

I use my tikka 300wsm
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/10/15 04:46 PM

Have killed 3 Elk all with 1 shot out to 405 yards with my 300 Win Mag and 180 grain Nosler ballistic tip bullets.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/10/15 04:56 PM

There's nothing wrong with the 300 WM a lot depends on what other caliber rifles the OP has. The question is is the increase in performance enough to justify a new rifle and caliber? I personally would go with the 338 in a heavier weight rifle or get by with my 30-06 YMMV.

I shortened my original statement to make my point more clear. I keep my ranges to 300 yards and have a 30-06, in my case, a 300 WM doesn't add a lot. I wouldn't have a dedicated elk rifle in 300 WM. I would either get by with my 30-06 or jump up to the 338 WM with an eye on an African safari.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/10/15 05:47 PM

Stop with the child's play...going to be a bear..... Be a grizzly....30-378 wby

*disclaimer-all bears are a reference to the lower 48 species smile

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/11/15 03:04 AM

Charles,

I believe I have a very strong grasp on external ballistics. How they behave in elevation and windage trajectory down range (down range is anything beyond where the rifle/scope/ammo was zeroed) and how they retain velocity, and therefore energy down range.

The point of my questioning was to hopefully get nsmike to plug in BC and MV of the .338's as well as the high end .308's (300 Win Mag) and read the comparison of both cartridges inside 500 yards. I predict there is not a huge margin, in performance, 500 yards and in.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/11/15 04:22 AM

Charles,

I believe I have a very strong grasp on external ballistics. How they behave in elevation and windage trajectory down range (down range is anything beyond where the rifle/scope/ammo was zeroed) and how they retain velocity, and therefore energy down range.

The point of my questioning was to hopefully get nsmike to plug in BC and MV of the .338's as well as the high end .308's (300 Win Mag) and read the comparison of both cartridges inside 500 yards. I predict there is not a huge margin, in performance, 500 yards and in.

I did post them run the numbers.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/11/15 04:39 AM

There is something to be said for larger frontal diameter bullets for large game, but any good bullet 6.5mm and larger works well when placed through the vitals of an elk with enough energy to expand reliably and make a hole in the far side of the elk. Shoot that first shot in the vitals is important for they will die pretty quick. Put that shot not in the vitals and an elk can run a long ways.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/11/15 11:34 AM

There's nothing wrong with the 300 WM a lot depends on what other caliber rifles the OP has. The question is is the increase in performance enough to justify a new rifle and caliber? I personally would go with the 338 in a heavier weight rifle or get by with my 30-06 YMMV.

I shortened my original statement to make my point more clear. I keep my ranges to 300 yards and have a 30-06, in my case, a 300 WM doesn't add a lot. I wouldn't have a dedicated elk rifle in 300 WM. I would either get by with my 30-06 or jump up to the 338 WM with an eye on an African safari.

Why not 375 then? Other than a 338 can fire the same bullet weight with a higher bc and better sd.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/11/15 01:09 PM

Charles,

I haven't looked either, but would guess that you are spot on about that. The 338 would have a bit more killing power with the heavier, larger diameter slug - but again, it would not be a big difference. Either cartridge ought to do a fine job.

I like the OP's thought that if he's going to get a second gun more powerful than his 30-06, then he would choose the 338 over a 300 mag.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/11/15 01:17 PM

Why not 375 then? Other than a 338 can fire the same bullet weight with a higher bc and better sd.

Some hunters do use a .375 for elk. Trajectory is very similar to that of the 30-06, but of course the .375 bullet will do a lot more damage for a quick kill.

With a reduced load using bullets designed for the .375 Winchester, you have a very nice deer gun. Less recoil of course, too.

The only .375 H&H magnum that I ever shot very much was a Ruger #1 Tropical Rifle. The recoil wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined it would be. The recoil was heavy, but not as sharp as some of the other magnums.

This is kind of silly, but the main reason that I no longer shoot the big magnums very much has to do with the price of bullets and powder.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/11/15 06:38 PM

I've used my 375 ruger on deer and pigs. 270 gr hornady soft points worked great. 300 gr solids not so much. They did make perfect round holes in and out. One day it will go to Africa, but until then I have pigs. It or the 257 wby will be my elk guns if i get the chance. 257 will be my first choice.
Posted By: Brook Trout

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/11/15 07:30 PM

Men, I too have an Elk hunt scheduled for 2016-Lord willing.

And, have exact same question as the OP. I have a 30-06 model 70. Only rifle I've ever had other thank 22's. I know it'll do the job, but I had been wondering if the 257 Weatherby Mag would be a nice option to 400 yds.

I may not ever go Elk Hunting again and thought the 257wby mag might be a good all around for cartridge for WT, Mule Deer, Texas big game. Now that HOOKEMHORNS, brought up the 257wby What's the thought on this cartridge. I know the high price of ammo is a concern.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/11/15 07:47 PM

Took my first & only elk with my 7 Wby. I like it but it has been replaced by a 300 WSM. I prefer 150 gr bullets & the WSM can push them much, much faster. While faster does not equate to knock down power, it does flatten the flight path considerably.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/11/15 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Brook Trout
Men, I too have an Elk hunt scheduled for 2016-Lord willing.

And, have exact same question as the OP. I have a 30-06 model 70. Only rifle I've ever had other thank 22's. I know it'll do the job, but I had been wondering if the 257 Weatherby Mag would be a nice option to 400 yds.

I may not ever go Elk Hunting again and thought the 257wby mag might be a good all around for cartridge for WT, Mule Deer, Texas big game. Now that HOOKEMHORNS, brought up the 257wby What's the thought on this cartridge. I know the high price of ammo is a concern.

Unless you're dying to purchase a new rifle--aren't we all?--I'd stick with your .30-06 for elk. Load it with a premium bullet (like the 180 gr Nosler Partition) and the old Springfield will do fine out to 400 yards. With a 100-yd zero 3" high, the bullet will be around 4" high at 200, 1" low at 300, and 11" low at 400 yards (YMMV). So, if you hold dead center on a bull's chest, you won't have to worry about hold-over for 99.9% of elk hunting situations.

Of course, the Weatherby with a 120 gr premium bullet will shoot flatter and faster and wouldn't be a bad choice either. But I think most experienced elk hunters would prefer the heavier bullet with the larger frontal diameter, both plusses for the '06.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/11/15 11:51 PM

257 cal........no thanks.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/12/15 12:20 AM

Yup.

The next one larger, no problem. So if you want some big fuel behind a 6.5 mm then there are lots of options that don't have the rounded shoulder Weatherby name in them.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/12/15 12:22 AM

I say go with the gun you feel most comfortable with

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/12/15 03:52 AM

dawaba got it right, the 30-06 is adequate, if your looking to buy a new rifle, then it's really a matter of optimizing the long range characteristics in at least a .264/6.5 or bigger caliber. If you're only going to go for elk once and want a general purpose round for Texas, it very well may be that the answer is to make do with the 30-06 for elk, then get a 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Remington for general all round Texas hunting. If you choose based on long range performance you need to look for a round that's significantly better than the 30-06 between 300-400 yards.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/12/15 04:51 PM

Only thing this thread was missing. Time to hate on the 257. Let's make fun of its low bc and how any animal killed by it should be ashamed.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/12/15 05:41 PM

Only thing this thread was missing. Time to hate on the 257. Let's make fun of its low bc and how any animal killed by it should be ashamed.

I'm here for ya. grin

Bet it'll go another 10 pages.
Posted By: TraderJR

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/12/15 05:51 PM

Thought I would throw my two cents worth in. I have hunted Elk with a 25-06 for years and have harvested numerous bulls. I have not lost any due to wounding the the animal or anything else. My grandfather (Taught me how to hunt) shot and harvested Elk with a 243. This is the way he taught me to hunt weather it is elk, deer, varmint you name it. To me this pertains to any kind of "caliber" question for any game hunting.

1) Marksmanship harvests the game not the Caliber (gun). Yes I know common sense says you are not going to hunt elk with a 22LR rifle.

2) Practice makes perfect. Weather it be long, medium or close range shots. Practice them all and frequently (Year-round). Practice with the ammo you are going to hunt the particular game with.

3) Make good shots (back to practice). Do not try to make a shot you are not 100% comfortable with. I Prefer making lung shots.

4) Use bullets with ballistics especially for type of game you are hunting.

5) And the most important rule of thumb. PASS UP THE CHANCY SHOTS. Do not take that 50-50 shot just because it is the biggest bull elk (game of your choice) you have ever seen. Or because it is the last day of the hunt. Trust me I have passed up shots on game that have haunted me because I was not 100% sure of the shot placement.

This is just my answer to any "Caliber of Choice" question.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/12/15 05:58 PM

I love my .257 wby but it's not my first choice for an elk

I would take an 06' over it if those where my my two options

If I had a chance to shoot a lot of stuff with the Roy my confidence might increase with it but I'm not gonna bank on it at the moment

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/12/15 06:04 PM

Yup.

The next one larger, no problem. So if you want some big fuel behind a 6.5 mm then there are lots of options that don't have the rounded shoulder Weatherby name in them.

Yelp no way in hell it would kill an elk

#257wbylivesmatter smile

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/12/15 06:19 PM

Know for a fact the 257WBY will kill elk

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/12/15 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1

Not if you can't get with in 500 yards trout

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/12/15 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

If you cannot get within 500 yards, learn to stalk

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/12/15 06:34 PM

I just enjoy stirring yall up.

Works every time. whistle

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/12/15 06:36 PM

If you cannot get within 500 yards, learn to stalk

I'd probably forget where I shot the elk if I had to shoot 500yards plus in the mountains. That could very well be over a mile walk.

But to each their own

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/12/15 06:38 PM

It's Wednesday and we are bored too. smile

Speaking of when you heading back west for another hunt?

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/12/15 06:45 PM

I'm here for ya. grin

Let's throw the 270 in too. Elk just laugh it off.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/12/15 06:49 PM

Wouldn't even bother taking a .25 on an elk hunt since I can accurately shoot a 300. popcorn

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/12/15 06:57 PM

Went to Jeremy's last weekend of May. My goodness it looked like the garden of Eden as compared to previous years! We cooked barrels killing pups! Amazing what an 8" rainfall spring can do for that country.

Be headed to Sanderson,TX the second week of December for Mulies again, and Ballinger for does in January. Until then I'll be working on the coyotes, hogs, and maybe whitetail in Fannin county.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/12/15 07:10 PM

Went to Jeremy's last weekend of May. My goodness it looked like the garden of Eden as compared to previous years! We cooked barrels killing pups! Amazing what an 8" rainfall spring can do for that country.

Be headed to Sanderson,TX the second week of December for Mulies again, and Ballinger for does in January. Until then I'll be working on the coyotes, hogs, and maybe whitetail in Fannin county.

Yelp had on of my best wheat crops in the last decade...green is good. I'll be up there hunting first or second week in October. Think the goats should be really good this year.

Glad you guys had another great trip with him. Great outfitter.

Hopefully you smoke a stud in Dec. cheers

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/12/15 07:12 PM

Wouldn't even bother taking a .25 on an elk hunt since I can accurately shoot a 300. popcorn

Becareful how far you shoot though, A mile for us normal height guys is about three miles for you little'ems

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/12/15 07:22 PM

I can climb a tree like a cat squirrel to offset being vertically handicapped. grin

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/13/15 12:17 AM

I'm here for ya. grin

Let's throw the 270 in too. Elk just laugh it off.

You're three pages late.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/13/15 12:26 AM

Can we ban caliber discussions? eek

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/13/15 12:27 AM

Can we ban caliber discussions? eek

TAKE THAT BACK!

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/13/15 12:35 AM

whip

I feel like the board gets beat every time caliber questions are asked

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/13/15 12:36 AM

Hell someone should start a caliber question with Remington vs tikka and to finish it off add Mil vs moa

The whole board would implode

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/13/15 12:57 AM

FiremanJG did you ever run the 338WM stir
Here's some published BC and Velocity figures avaiable in factory loads
Nosler 225 ETip .611 2750
Nosler Accubond 225 .551 2750
Federal Trophy Copper 225 .48 2800
Federal Fusion 225 .486 2850
Hornady SST Superformance .515 2840

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/13/15 01:41 AM

Why don't we have a bunker in here for calibur discussions? Then it could get better.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/13/15 02:46 AM

I didn't. I don't feel the need to. Did you?

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/13/15 02:56 AM

For my purposes, I just looked at the ballistic table with a 200 yd zero, most 225 gr loads have a 6.6 to 7.7 inch drop at 300. The energy is about 150 ft lbs above any 180 grain 300 WM load. I didn't check the 210 gr 300 WM loads.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/13/15 02:58 AM

To paraphrase a famous quote, "there are lies, damn lies, and ballistics."

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/13/15 04:09 AM

For my purposes, I just looked at the ballistic table with a 200 yd zero, most 225 gr loads have a 6.6 to 7.7 inch drop at 300. The energy is about 150 ft lbs above any 180 grain 300 WM load. I didn't check the 210 gr 300 WM loads.

So my speculation was correct that the difference is marginal. Especially since you didn't run the 210 gr numbers.

VLD 210 gr. @ 2780 fps MV out of a bone stock Tikka. It is no slouch.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/13/15 04:56 AM

You are still at 2601 vs 2700. I will say that I was suprised to find no advantage in retained energy at 300 going to the 250.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/13/15 03:13 PM

You are still at 2601 fps vs 2700 fps. I will say that I was suprised to find no advantage in retained energy at 300 yards going to the 250 gr.

Did I decode that properly?
Posted By: boonee

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/13/15 04:00 PM

I just realized we left out a 50 BMG! With a 750 grain soft point, and good optics should be a no brainer @ 1000 + yards. I need to call Barrett...

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/13/15 04:51 PM

maybe a machine gun...

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/13/15 05:39 PM

You are still at 2601 fps vs 2700 fps. I will say that I was suprised to find no advantage in retained energy at 300 yards going to the 250 gr.

Did I decode that properly?

Try Ft Lbs of Energy 210 gr VLD 300 WM vs 225 gr 338 Honady Superformance at 300 yds. The 250 Nosler Accubond starting a 2660 actually had less retained energy at 300.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/13/15 06:32 PM

I wondered how that would play out.

There is always this balance of bullet weight and MV. Just because the bullet is heavy and has a good BC does not mean it will be a super hard hitter at distance if it doesn't have a decent MV. Kind of like running that 210 gr. .30 cal in a .308 Win. Bet it would not hit as hard as a 175 gr at 300 yards.

The flip side of that coin is an extreme high speed light weight bullet will not do as well down range as a bullet with a bit more weight and less MV.

Balancing act.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/13/15 07:28 PM

I think that in the 338 WM it just runs out of case capacity when dealing with the 250 gr bullets. It's the same thing with the 30-06 it runs out of case capacity for anthing heavier than 180 gr. What the 338 WM does well in the 225 grain loading is match the ballistics of the 165 gr 30-06.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/13/15 08:09 PM

I agree.

Now put that bullet in a 338 Norma Mag and oh man! But that is a ton of powder, a ton of recoil and not something I would want to hunt with.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/13/15 10:43 PM

There is always this balance of bullet weight and MV. Just because the bullet is heavy and has a good BC does not mean it will be a super hard hitter at distance if it doesn't have a decent MV. Kind of like running that 210 gr. .30 cal in a .308 Win. Bet it would not hit as hard as a 175 gr at 300 yards.

A 308 running a 208 amax at 2550 vs. 175 smk at 2750. 300 yard ft. lbs. energy 2217 on the amax, 1978 on the smk. The difference only grows as yardage increases.

Same story on the 30-06 too. Just sayin.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/14/15 12:30 AM

Alright 300 was a bad SWAG. I did not consult a ballistic calculator.

Just sayin.
Posted By: hookemhorns

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/14/15 04:17 PM

Would a 308 with right ammo work for elk

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/14/15 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: hookemhorns
Would a 308 with right ammo work for elk

As long as your rifle works with the right ammo. Most of the tougher 30 cal bullets are 180 gr +, most 308 caliber rifles came with a 1-12 twist, If you push them fast enough most 180 gr bullets should stabilize. You need to check out to your max range to be sure. If the 180 doesn't stabilize, then getting the right bullet, in the 165 gr range becomes paramount.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/14/15 05:27 PM

Hard to believe we can go 6 pages on this question.

Any of them will work great. Just use a good bullet the rifle likes whichever caliber you choose. It's purely personal preference.

Oh, and muzzle brakes suck and are totally unnecessary for a hunting rifle. Recoil is not bad in any of those calibers. If you are bothered by the recoil in them then step down to a .270 or .30-06.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/14/15 08:29 PM

After reading 6 pages of this...the phrase "Mad dogs & Englishmen...howling in the mid day sun..." comes to mind.

Elk are not I'm told, an armored vehicle, or an Abrams tank....or even a WW II Sherman tank. Some of our ancestors successfuly hunted American Elk with flintlock Kentucky rifles almost 200 years ago, and became known as Mountain Men. and we parse over killing one with an advanced weapons system capable of putting a bullet in an Elks eye at 500 yards???
90+% of the time it's the skill of the INDIAN and NOT the Arrow that brigs home the meat.

Elk have been successfully killed with the 109 year old 30 Gvt 06 since the Army sold off the leftovers after 1918 ...why can'e we kill'em in 2015 with the same caliber, telesopic sights that can see the craters on the moon ... and better bullets??? THAT's the Question??
JMHO & YMMV
Ron
Posted By: crawdaddy

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/14/15 08:40 PM

I killed both of my bulls with 7mm Rem and 160gr projectiles (Speer Grand Slam and Nosler Partition) at 85 and 200 yards and have seen them killed just as dead with .30-06 and 300 win. Can't go wrong with any of those with good projectiles and shot placement, and all will reach out and touch 'em if you know your trajectories and practice, practice, practice.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/14/15 11:49 PM

I think that most people agree that once you get to 140 gr 6.5mm, assuming good bullets, your getting into a reasonable caliber on elk. 270/7mm and are even more clearly adequate. What gets people going is, if you have an adequate rifle, but want more performance, which caliber? That brings out a lot of opinions, people can make good arguments on different calibers, depending on how they intend on using that performance and their current rifles.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/15/15 12:01 AM

I think that most people agree that once you get to 140 gr 6.5mm, assuming good bullets, your getting into a reasonable caliber on elk. 270/7mm and are even more clearly adequate. What gets people going is, if you have an adequate rifle, but want more performance, which caliber? That brings out a lot of opinions, people can make good arguments on different calibers, depending on how they intend on using that performance and their current rifles.

True. What's interesting is how much ink is spilled and how many keyboard strokes can go into discussing caliber selection for elk hunting between obviously suitable choices - when that is such a small part of the equation. "It's the Indian, not the arrow" is a pretty good maxim.

If you compare hunting to building a house, it would be like all the carpenters forgetting about the stuff like blueprints and sitting around discussing which brand of hammer is best.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/15/15 12:02 AM

^^Very true^^

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/15/15 12:28 AM

All that said, I like a .300 or .338 Win Mag hammer for elk. smile
Posted By: spg

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/15/15 09:16 AM

Daisy red rider / copperhead BB's

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/15/15 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

True. What's interesting is how much ink is spilled and how many keyboard strokes can go into discussing caliber selection for elk hunting between obviously suitable choices - when that is such a small part of the equation. "It's the Indian, not the arrow" is a pretty good maxim.

If you compare hunting to building a house, it would be like all the carpenters forgetting about the stuff like blueprints and sitting around discussing which brand of hammer is best.

It's more like, should I use the 20lbs sledge or the claw hammer. Now where did that fly go.

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/15/15 03:59 PM

Just goes to show that the world is full of superb elk cartridges and appropriate elk bullets.

Outside of specialized varmint equipment, it would be difficult to select elk medicine that is truly bad.

(I'll still take the .300 Winny, though)

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/15/15 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

I'm old enough to remember before nail guns, carpenters did argue about hammers, especially framing hammers. don't believe me, Google framing hammer, see how many varieties there are. As a hunter, your choice of weapon and caliber, is that of a personal tool opinions vary.
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: Caliber choice for elk - 08/21/15 06:42 PM

There is some excellent advice above regarding calibers. I have and swear by a custom Remington 700 in .300 Weatherby magnum. With that rifle my longest one shot DRT was just over 500 yards on a big 5 point bull. Yes without a muzzle brake it does punish at the range. But so what, concentration overcomes recoil.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum