Texas Hunting Forum

Ruger Precision Rifle

Posted By: TexFlip

Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 12:07 AM

Interested in seeing how this works out. 243,308 and 6.5 creed bolt action that takes SR25 mags.

SPECS
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 12:10 AM

The MSRP is $1399 and if the street price is a little lower, looks
like a lot for the money.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 12:17 AM

What! No tang safety.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
What! No tang safety.

Doesn't even need a safety. Bolt handle up, or back is the safety.

I'd like to test drive one...
Posted By: Precision_Shooter

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 01:28 AM

I wouldn't mind trying one in 6.5 creed.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 01:31 AM

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/7/17/ruger-precision-rifle/

Not bad results for factory ammo, I'm sure reloads could tighten tighten up a bit.
Posted By: Rockfish Dave

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 02:03 AM

Ruger Precision Rifle Features and Specifications:
Features:
• Bolt-action Precision Rifle based on the Ruger American Rifle with easily manipulated, 70-degree bolt lift featuring dual cocking cams and smooth-running, large-diameter bolt body
• Inline recoil path manages recoil directly from the rear of receiver to the buttstock, not through a traditional bedding system, providing the very best accuracy potential
• “Upper” receiver and one-piece bolt are precision CNC-machined from pre-hardened (minimizes distortion) 4140 Chrome/Moly alloy steel
• “Lower” magazine well halves are precision machined from 7075-T6 aluminum, type III hard-coat anodized
• Multi-Magazine Interface functions interchangeably with M110/SR25/DPMS/Magpul and AICS magazines; supplied with two 10-round Magpul PMags
• Highly accurate cold hammer forged 4140 Chrome/Moly barrel with Ruger 5R Rifling at minimum bore and grove dimensions, minimum-headspace and centralized chamber;
• Medium contour (.75” at the muzzle) barrel features 5/8-24 threads and thread protector installed.
• Barrels can be easily replaced by a competent gunsmith using AR-style wrenches and headspace gauges
• Ruger Marksman trigger is externally adjustable, pull weight range is 2.25 to 5.0 pounds; wrench is stored in the bolt shroud
• Left - folding stock hinge accepts any AR-style stock; supplied with fully adjustable Ruger Precision MSR stock with soft rubber butt pad and bottom Picatinny rail
• Customizable ergonomics: May be configured with any AR-style grip, rail and selector;
• Supplied with extended trigger-reach AR-style grip, Samson Evolution Keymod rail, and 45-degree reversible selector
• 20 MOA Picatinny rail secured with four #8-40 screws for increased long-range elevation capabilities.
• Oversized bolt handle for positive bolt manipulation, with 5/16” x 24 thread for easy replacement; disassembly tool stored in the bolt shroud for easy striker channel cleaning
• Magazine well front is contoured for a positive grip or bracing against shooting supports

Model Numbers and Specifications:
(Model/Caliber/Weight/Barrel Length/Twist/Overall Length: Folded, Extended Min, Extended Max)
18001 / 308 Win / 20” / 9.7 lbs / 1:10 / 30.6”, 38.25”, 41.75”
18005 / 6.5 Creedmoor / 10.6 lbs / 24” / 1:8 / 34.6”, 42.25”, 45.75”
18010 / 243 Win / 11 lbs /26”/ 1:7.7 / 36.6”, 44.25”, 47.75”
Height 7.3” (Grip bottom to Picatinny rail top)
Width 3.3” (Receiver to bolt handle)
Length of Pull: Adjustable 12”-15.5”
Comb height range: .75”; comb fore-aft position can be adjusted by up to 3.5” (depending upon stock position)
Removable oversized (.900” diameter) bolt handle with 5/16”-24 thread
Seven Patents pending:
• Universal magazine latch mechanism. Allows both a side catch and rear catch to be operated with the same interface.
• Bolt body configured for universal magazine use
• Dual barrel nut and handguard interface
• Folding buttstock latch with rotatable, folded lock position
• Dual acting stock cam levers and adjustment method Dual acting stock
• Two patents on the trigger and safety assembly and installation methods
MSRP will be $1399 and the street price expected to be right around $1100.

So I'd say they crushed it!

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 02:27 AM

Says they are in stores now in the video. Gonna try and get my hands on one tomorrow.
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 02:30 AM

that is one Ruger I'd like to have
Posted By: Cattleman

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 02:40 AM

I was thinking of to getting a tikka ctr in 260 but I may have to look into the ruger.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 02:43 AM

Nice looking gun. Not sure it's worth $1100-$1200.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 03:47 AM

well if you were to get an entry Remington 700 for 400 a similar chassis would be at least 600. Throw in a base and threading and you are at 1100
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 06:32 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
What! No tang safety.

Would that right-hand action be a deal breaker?
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 07:42 AM

Yeah, I'd try one.

I probably will, too.

Dang it. bang
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 01:00 PM

Might just be my first 6.5 in a couple of years. I'm a little surprised at no 7mm-08 or .223. I daydreamed about this gun a few days ago, wondering why nobody offered an AR-15 based (loosely) bolt gun. Guess I'm psychic?

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: okstatefan
What! No tang safety.

Would that right-hand action be a deal breaker?

I shot right handed yesterday.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 02:30 PM

jury is out for deliberation scratch

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 02:30 PM

nice scope....

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 03:27 PM

What! No tang safety.

It was a joke, most here know my feelings on the old tang safety Ruger's.

Now I must admit this rifle did get my attention, you seem to get allot for your money. The 308 or 6.5 do not interest me but the 243 sure caught my eye. 2 questions would be barrel twist on the 243 and overall weight of the rifle. Not a long range shooter but I do like accurate rifle's and these yote's have been keeping they're distance.

Never mind I seen the spec's and that 1-7 twist is a deal breaker.
Posted By: BushFamilyNine

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Might just be my first 6.5 in a couple of years. I'm a little surprised at no 7mm-08 or .223. I daydreamed about this gun a few days ago, wondering why nobody offered an AR-15 based (loosely) bolt gun. Guess I'm psychic?

I remember a Remington survey a couple years ago about one. I would think they focused on the new G2 series rifles, because they will be a big hit.

Bolt action AR chassis are out there...

https://robarguns.com/blog/2014/09/09/ro...lt-on-accuracy/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/10/24/pof-usa-revolt-bolt-action-223-308-ar-15/

Posted By: BushFamilyNine

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 03:55 PM

Now I must admit this rifle did get my attention, you seem to get allot for your money. The 308 or 6.5 do not interest me but the 243 sure caught my eye. 2 questions would be barrel twist on the 243 and overall weight of the rifle. Not a long range shooter but I do like accurate rifle's and these yote's have been keeping they're distance.

The 243 with a 1:7.7 twist and that 26 inch barrel is going to reach out there a ways when loaded right.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 04:00 PM

What! No tang safety.

I can help...

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: BushFamilyNine

The 243 with a 1:7.7 twist and that 26 inch barrel is going to reach out there a ways when loaded right.

115 DTAC and H-4350, you say?

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: BushFamilyNine

115 DTAC and H-4350, you say?

The heaviest I'll be shooting will be 70 grain.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 04:26 PM

I thought you said the coyotes were far out there? peep
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 07:13 PM

I thought you said the coyotes were far out there? peep
lol....

Looks like ruger is competing with

http://www.mossberg.com/product/mvp-lc-scoped-combos-27776/

I would like to test drive both... I can order the LC in at 1100 WITHOUT SCOPE... with scope idk I havn't priced... Only have 5.56/7.62 but hey...

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 09:14 PM

I don't currently have a .243 Win., this one might be it. I have a ton of Sierra 100 grain pills collecting dust (I like the twist rate on this rifle) along with a bunch of brass ready to go.

Hmm..
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 09:27 PM

Colt has had one for a while made in conjunction with Cooper Of Montana.
Here is mine. Who knew there were hogs in the Davis Mountains... Shot this one while elk hunting.

Just like all Coopers it came with a target.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 09:44 PM

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/7/17/ruger-precision-rifle/

As of yesterday, for anyone interested.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/18/15 11:34 PM

looks kinda "Rugered" up to me but that's just me....
Posted By: thedoveshooter

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/19/15 12:51 AM

Any one know why they might have made the barrel length on the .243 26 inches? Seems kind of long for that caliber.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/19/15 01:05 AM

Good question.

I think there are folks at rifle manufacturing head sheds that think they know what they know. I.e. that a precision rifle must have a very long barrel to be a precision rifle. That simply is not true at all. What they did accomplish is making the .243 make all the MV it possibly can. Seem to me there are tons of .243's with 24" barrels doing the same thing.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/19/15 05:21 AM

I'm kind of liking this. Other tan the 10/22 and 77/22 there hasn't been a rifle that Ruger has produced that I've cared for. This could very well be my first 6.5Creed

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/19/15 06:08 AM

Doing a LOT of reading and research now, I think 6.5 may be the way to go. I need to try one out, never fired one before.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/19/15 04:43 PM

what barrel twist is their 6.5 Creed? What twist is best in this caliber? 1-8 ??

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/19/15 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: tth_40
Doing a LOT of reading and research now, I think 6.5 may be the way to go. I need to try one out, never fired one before.

Come out you can shoot mine.

1:8, 1:8.5, 1:9 all good.
Posted By: 30378

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/19/15 05:55 PM

Not sure of the benefit of having a folding stock on a bolt rifle other than storage or transport.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/19/15 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: 30378
Not sure of the benefit of having a folding stock on a bolt rifle other than storage or transport.

That's why.

Heck these are lighter than three of my bolt actions.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/19/15 06:14 PM

if they took the 6.5 and said look most comp shooters are running 140 AMAX, lets get a good tight reamer for the barrels. These would sell.

if they got to a guarantee of .75 MOA with hornady ammo, i think this would be the defacto rifle for people starting competitions.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/19/15 06:28 PM

That's why.

A big vote in agreement here. I've gone to all folders for that reason. Nothing better than being able to fit a precision rifle in an ar15 size case for transport in a compact car.

This does everything a $ custom will do for 25% the cost. And no, I know that a jewel, timney, huber, bartlien, defiance, big horn, surgeon, etc are "better", but for a turn key solution this is crazy hard to beat. Plus it does some things better, such as: weight, barrel swap, no recoil lug (TUBB Gun style done right). Heck, I'm kind of pumped that it is a cold hammer forged barrel.

All that said; I hope these don't take off, because I don't want to have to wait for a decent priced one to show up a couple years down the road.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/19/15 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Rockfish Dave

That's why.

A big vote in agreement here. I've gone to all folders for that reason. Nothing better than being able to fit a precision rifle in an ar15 size case for transport in a compact car.

This does everything a $ custom will do for 25% the cost. And no, I know that a jewel, timney, huber, bartlien, defiance, big horn, surgeon, etc are "better", but for a turn key solution this is crazy hard to beat. Plus it does some things better, such as: weight, barrel swap, no recoil lug (TUBB Gun style done right). Heck, I'm kind of pumped that it is a cold hammer forged barrel.

All that said; I hope these don't take off, because I don't want to have to wait for a decent priced one to show up a couple years down the road.

They are also great when you take women and children shooting.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/19/15 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: tth_40

Come out you can shoot mine.

cheers

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/19/15 08:51 PM

From sniper hide review...

At distance, it’s easy to say, this rifle performs, in the video we have a 1/2 MOA Group at 850 yards on steel. The muzzle velocity with factory 140gr AMAX is 2810fps out of this rifle.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/19/15 10:36 PM

Very impressive.

I forsee demand far outrunning supply. And I am so glad to see Ruger doing this. Building a mass produced rifle that will be right at home shooting small, and shooting far. It will get more people into the arena of precision rifle shooting.

And I hope they call me to teach them how to drive it. grin

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/19/15 11:42 PM

Talked to a dealer that will be getting some in in a week. $999 street price.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/20/15 02:09 AM

Seeing more and more about them, TTAG just posted up a review yesterday, American Rifleman a few days ago.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/20/15 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Talked to a dealer that will be getting some in in a week. $999 street price.

Yep, my Kimber is going back on the chopping block. Going to see what all this 6.5Creed talk is about.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/20/15 01:56 PM

Dang, gonna be a steel at $999. wink
Posted By: dee

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/20/15 05:55 PM

The magazine system is very appealing since ai mags aren't cheap.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/20/15 06:00 PM

Bushnell ERS or EXRS plus this Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM is calling me!!!!!

A 300 WSM version would be nice too!

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/20/15 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: dee
The magazine system is very appealing since ai mags aren't cheap.

Agreed. I am reading different reports on use of m1a but pmags and acis sound good to go

I think the handguard being an ar15 thread pattern is smart. You can customize to an extent
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/22/15 11:28 AM

Looks promising.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/22/15 09:45 PM

http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/story/1564384-the-ruger-precision-rifle-6-5-cm

fits EVERY MAG basically... wow that is a huge win...

... May buy one then bring it in and get barrel shortened, I think it would be sweet 6.5 with an 18 inch barrel for suppressor...
Posted By: STXHO

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/26/15 05:45 PM

I would not spend $1200 on a rifle based off a ruger american action. For the same amount of $ you can buy a remington sendero and get much better gun IMO.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/26/15 06:08 PM

http://www.ruger.com/micros/rpr/challenge.html

Smart marketing...

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/26/15 07:26 PM

still waiting for a real world test done by one of us, not a paid media guy..

Why not the regular plain Jane Rugar American in 6.5 Creed?? What makes this "precision" rifle so cool??

The only thing I see is the 5R rifling.

Lots of $$ spent on marketing...Hmmmmm

Who's first???
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/26/15 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

Why not the regular plain Jane Rugar American in 6.5 Creed?? What makes this "precision" rifle so cool??

Who's first???

Can't trust anything the media guys review. They are so bought and paid for, it is ridiculous. Plus, a lot of times, they get preproduction models that are fine tuned by the custom shops to run flawlessly.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/26/15 07:52 PM

Who's first???

Dbm, chassis ( as opposed to a flimsy stock), threaded, accepts most magazine types

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/26/15 08:34 PM

ok, still a starter kit

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/26/15 09:05 PM

ok, still a starter kit

Yes, but a pretty loaded one. It's a cheap way to get into the sport and find out if you really like it.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/26/15 10:25 PM

I handled one of these at the match yesterday. The action was smooth and fast. The trigger was decent but I'm not a huge fan as I don't like the accu trigger which this is similar. After that I watched dieselgeek run it out to 780 with factory Hornady ammo.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/26/15 10:49 PM

Not my cup of tea, especially for a bolt gun...but I can see the market ploy from appearance and chamberings.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/27/15 02:27 AM

I'd like to hear some real world reviews by another board member. If anyone shoots one post your thoughts.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/27/15 02:17 PM

chip in to me an i'll order one... and we can meet up and test it lol...
Posted By: camosam03

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/29/15 02:25 PM

i ordered one in 6.5 yesterday, should be here in a couple weeks tops and ill give a good range report. chronograph whole nine yards. i shoot at a 1200 yard range, ill run it out as far as it can go.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/29/15 09:20 PM

I just watched the Ruger Inside And Out TV show on this gun. I think for the money they will sell as fast as produced CAMOSAM, did they quote a wait time on yours?

May be on in my future it will definitely get some trickin up done.

They said it will come in .243 with a quick twist to shoot the 105 gr Bergers and such....HUMMMMM

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/29/15 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: camosam03
i ordered one in 6.5 yesterday, should be here in a couple weeks tops and ill give a good range report. chronograph whole nine yards. i shoot at a 1200 yard range, ill run it out as far as it can go.
\

Which scope are you going with?
Posted By: boonee

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/29/15 09:57 PM

I have a 6.5 on order... but the wholesaler could not give me a date.
None, are in stock at any of the wholesalers I do business with.
He said "could be Middle of August or could be late this year..." Ruger would not commit!

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/29/15 10:19 PM

I like the Burris they are running on these at Ruger

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/31/15 01:24 AM

I'm looking at my options but it depends on if i can get my ebb sold. but I'm looking between the Vortex Razor HD 5-20X50 or the bushnell XTR II 5-25.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/31/15 01:25 AM

I just watched the Ruger Inside And Out TV show on this gun. I think for the money they will sell as fast as produced CAMOSAM, did they quote a wait time on yours?

May be on in my future it will definitely get some trickin up done.

They said it will come in .243 with a quick twist to shoot the 105 gr Bergers and such....HUMMMMM

he said a week. and after shipping to my ffl should be here in two tops.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/31/15 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: camosam03
I'm looking at my options but it depends on if i can get my ebb sold. but I'm looking between the Vortex Razor HD 5-20X50 or the bushnell XTR II 5-25.

Tough call. I wonder if th gen 2 prices have come down at all...

Make sure to check how many mrads per turn as there is a five and ten per turn one

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/31/15 01:29 AM

i called every dealer i could think of in the DFW area and everyone had the same answer, we don't have them and we don't know when we can get one but if you give us a %10 payment we can out you on the list. i just hapened to be trading some stuff with a guy on Facebook who's a ffl in Missouri and he had one in the shop that he just sold and the second was already ordered.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/31/15 01:36 AM

They are selling like hot cakes

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/31/15 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Cleric
They are selling like hot cakes

With good reviews to boot. Yet so many feel the need to bash the rifle since it doesn't have a wood stock, hinged floor plate, high gloss brass, blah, blah, blah.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/31/15 01:50 AM

If I saw one for 1k I would most likely buy it...
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/31/15 02:56 AM

The RAR got the same uneducated reaction too.....at first.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/31/15 11:00 AM

Larry Weishuhn has become the face of Ruger--in print and on TV--these days. He recently used a stock Ruger American in .270 to take a desert ram in Mexico, basically a $60k hunt with a $300 rifle.

I guess we'll know the RPR has arrived when we see Larry--bad knees and all--lugging a RPR around the Bob Marshall on an elk hunt. So, he'll need a horse. Idle thought: imagine the RPR in a scabbard affixed to Larry's saddle horse. Or maybe they'll toss the scabbard and contrive a wheeled caisson or travois tied to the sawbuck of a packhorse?

NAH....eighty-six the elk hunt completely and pair Larry and the RPR together on a pronghorn or bison hunt....just be sure and edit out the pickup behind Larry.

Maybe a coues deer hunt? Yeah, a coues hunt! But another idle thought: How are we gonna get the RPR up the hill?

Definately some logisticals to think through....

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/31/15 11:39 AM

Originally Posted By: dawaba
Larry Weishuhn has become the face of Ruger--in print and on TV--these days. He recently used a stock Ruger American in .270 to take a desert ram in Mexico, basically a $60k hunt with a $300 rifle.

I guess we'll know the RPR has arrived when we see Larry--bad knees and all--lugging a RPR around the Bob Marshall on an elk hunt. So, he'll need a horse. Idle thought: imagine the RPR in a scabbard affixed to Larry's saddle horse. Or maybe they'll toss the scabbard and contrive a wheeled caisson or travois tied to the sawbuck of a packhorse?

NAH....eighty-six the elk hunt completely and pair Larry and the RPR together on a pronghorn or bison hunt....just be sure and edit out the pickup behind Larry.

Maybe a coues deer hunt? Yeah, a coues hunt! But another idle thought: How are we gonna get the RPR up the hill?

LMAO. I got a pretty good chuckle out of this. I remember him using a pistol for several years and making some very poor shots.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/31/15 12:28 PM

27.4 pounds

That's what a Barrett M107 .50 BMG weighs before base, rings, optics, ammo. Afghanistan is full of mountains.

Dear God! A ten pound rifle must be unbearable to carry! How have I managed with 15+ pound rifles for so long?

happybday
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/31/15 01:19 PM

LMAO. I got a pretty good chuckle out of this. I remember him using a pistol for several years and making some very poor shots.

Some is probably an understatement.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/31/15 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

Some is probably an understatement.

Yes, Larry's adventures as a pistolero have been fodder for more than one campfire laugh. Since he no longer represents T-C, we won't see him with a pistol or smoke pole either in the future.

But Weishuhn is good people.......not a braggart or loudmouth, and always willing to give of his time to charity and hunting organizations. He comes from old German stock in Colorado County and is distantly related to my wife.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/31/15 02:00 PM

I think he still uses a Blackhawk/Redhawk or something on occasion but definitely not as often. I don't watch his show but it's been on for background a time or two.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/31/15 02:32 PM

Some one please explain to me why the two piece lower is OK?

I want to like this rifle, put I don't want it to fall apart.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/31/15 05:23 PM

27.4 pounds

That's what a Barrett M107 .50 BMG weighs before base, rings, optics, ammo. Afghanistan is full of mountains.

Dear God! A ten pound rifle must be unbearable to carry! How have I managed with 15+ pound rifles for so long?

happybday

Thanks for the birthday wishes. I've already heard from 2 of my three daughters, and the wife wants me to take her to the afternoon matinee to see the new Mission Impossible flick, which opens today. Myself, I kinda like the idea of a nice long nap to bypass the afternoon's triple digit temps, but Karen usually gets her way, even on my birthday.

I guess that the proper weight of a gun is in the eye of the beholder. Just as a woman can't be too beautiful, or a cop too honest, or a preacher too righteous; a rifle can't also be too heavy, at least to some. But we reach a point--and that point is highly variable depending on who is on the soap box--that all of this begins to float to the level of complete absurdity. And it's not just the firearms. I never thought I'd see the day of a two-pound rifle scope; now shooters stand on waiting lists to shell out thousands of dollars for one that is well over three pounds! And the long picatinny rail(s) invites a guy to add an IR light, a bipod, and even a bayonet if he's so inclined. And so one day, our citizen suddenly realizes that his rifle looks like, carries like, and handles like a farm jack.

A guy earlier on this thread boasted that he owned NO rifle weighing LESS than 15 pounds. He further opined that anyone wishing for an outfit weighing less should instead hit the iron at the gym a little harder. I think he misses the point. Shotgunners have known for decades that a firearm should be a joy to carry. It should handle like an extension of your arm. And it should point as naturally and instinctively as a mother-in-law's accusing finger. Now, if in your mind your rifles meet those criteria, and if you're happy with a 15-lb rig, then all power to you. But it leaves me cold. And I've been a faithful gym rat every other day for over 22 years.

Now please understand that a benchrest gun or a rig for long range gong-ringing or prairie dog shooting need not adhere to anyone's notion of an ideal weight. After all, unless it weighs over a half-ton, your truck has no complaint whatsoever. But issues begin to arise when we take the ideal SHOOTING rifle and decide arbitrarily that we now have the ideal HUNTING rifle. This just isn't so, despite what we've been told on the Sportsman's Channel, or even here on the THF. The current propaganda would have us believe that, unless our rifle is tricked out with clicking scope turrets and VLD bullets, we aren't equipped for an elk hunt. And everyone knows that elk are always at least 1000 yards away! (Apparently, it has never occurred to these experts that when you spot a bull a half-mile away, you can simply stroll over and cut the distance by half or more).

Back around the 1980s I guess, a gunsmith in Tucson named David Miller who loved hunting coues deer, started building heavy rifles--often in .300 Weatherby--with long bull barrels, heavy scopes, and Jewell triggers and began marketing them as the ideal outfit for the desert mountains favored by these little deer. A lot of people bought into the concept of the Miller notion that coues deer had changed, and that a buck could no longer be taken with a sporter-weight rifle. I signed on too and soon cooked up a .300 WinMag with a 25" Krieger heavy barrel on a trued Remington action with a Jewell trigger (of course). And with an old Burris Signature 6.5x24 scope, I thought I was in business. Never mind that it weighed over 13 lbs....I had a coues rifle at last. And so I went coues hunting in Mexico and shot a nice coues buck. At 360 yards +/-. With one shot. I could have made the same shot with my 7-lb .25-06.

I've hunted all my life, and pretty much world-wide. Outside of PDs, hogs, coyotes, and other vermin, I've never shot a big game animal at even 400 yards. I know that I can always get closer, and since I'm toting a light rifle, there's no excess burden to bear. So, when someone who has never climbed a mountain any higher than Flagpole Hill tells me with conviction that we must have a heavy ponderous rifle in order to hunt some game animal that he's never even seen in the wild, then naturally my eye gets jaundiced pretty quickly.

.....because my own experience has taught me differently. And eventually his will too....with experience, of course. Meanwhile, we're all free to behave as the spirit moves us.

Just one man's opinion....mine.

EDIT: This is not a direct shot at you, FJG. I know you've been elk hunting, and I enjoyed your sharing the story with all of us here. It just seems that the white noise out there over big guns and long range shooting and tacti-cool weaponry has reached such a loud crescendo that it has drowned out all reasonable thought, at least to me. Carry on.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/31/15 06:00 PM

^^Good post^^

And I agree with most of it. People kill elk at 20 yards with bows every year. Could a .458 Win Mag in a lever gun wearing irons kill an elk? Well of course.

I teach guys how to shoot smaller and more consistently. Everyone has wanted to learn to stretch tje distance to 800 yards. Once they have I tell them 400 doesn't seem so tough anymore does it? They all say no. I also tell them that making a long range shot on an elk would give me pause. For the last few months I have done my cold bore drill at 700 yards two to four days a week. With two rifles I am running about 80% hit rate. Pretty good, but it's not 100%, therefore the pause of I am looking at an elk. Hog or coyote? If the laser will tell me how far it is, I am going to dial up for it as long as the shot is safe. But back to the students. Every time a guy comes out and is shooting all over the place at 100 yard paper, by the end of the day he is stacking bullets touching each other. Several guys have asked me to shoot their rifles to see if the equipment can do it. When I can make their rigs shoot small they quickly realize they are the problem, not the rifle/ scope/ ammo. That's the advantage to learning how to hold small enough to consistenly hit far targets, driving home the fundamentals. I then tell them to treat every shot equally important, be it 100 yards or 800 yards. Paper, steel, or hide.

This Ruger is built to be a shooter. If a guy wants to also hunt with it, that's his business. I do not call a ten pound rifle that heavy. Some guys will, different strokes for different folks.

Murica wink

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/31/15 08:07 PM

(snip)
A guy earlier on this thread boasted that he owned NO rifle weighing LESS than 15 pounds. He further opined that anyone wishing for an outfit weighing less should instead hit the iron at the gym a little harder. I think he misses the point.(snip) Now, if in your mind your rifles meet those criteria, and if you're happy with a 15-lb rig, then all power to you.

(snip) But issues begin to arise when we take the ideal SHOOTING rifle and decide arbitrarily that we now have the ideal HUNTING rifle. This just isn't so, despite what we've been told on the Sportsman's Channel, or even here on the THF. The current propaganda would have us believe that, unless our rifle is tricked out with clicking scope turrets and VLD bullets, we aren't equipped for an elk hunt. And everyone knows that elk are always at least 1000 yards away! (Apparently, it has never occurred to these experts that when you spot a bull a half-mile away, you can simply stroll over and cut the distance by half or more).
(snip)

Sorry to get your dander up. No "boasting" it was simply a statement of fact. Built them myself, and that is what they weigh. Thankfully you don't have to like it, I do.

I never made any claim that it is "ideal" for anything. I have no issue with hunting or target shooting with what I have. It's not like I'm treking up a mountain after goats or chasing elk. I'm in Texas, hogs deer and varmints (when the opportunity arises). Is it ideal for everything? no of course not. Firearms are like golf clubs, each does something better than the other.

The RPR seems like it will do everything that I like, while weighing less and costing allot less than what I have. Sounds like a winner. Is it heavier than a sporter yes but by just (+/-) 3 pounds. I look forward to seeing how these shake out with those that pony up and get one.

That said, if someone is going to whine about 15lbs opposed to 8lbs then something is not right.

PS: I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't attribute something to me that was not said or implied. Some might call a person that does that a liar.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 07/31/15 08:30 PM

At any rate, I'm going to watch and see. The rifle looks to have a LOT going for the money. I love my sporters
and nice solid sporter type rifles. The RPR may be more rifle than I will ever utilize, then again it may show me a direction to go in that I hadn't looked at before. That's why there's so many different types of rifles out there. If there was only one type, it'd be a BORING world. Personally I'd like to see them come out with a RPR chambered in 7mm-08, simply because I love the cartridge and I am set up to load for it.

We'll see.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/01/15 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Rockfish Dave
(snip)
A guy earlier on this thread boasted that he owned NO rifle weighing LESS than 15 pounds. He further opined that anyone wishing for an outfit weighing less should instead hit the iron at the gym a little harder. I think he misses the point.(snip) Now, if in your mind your rifles meet those criteria, and if you're happy with a 15-lb rig, then all power to you.

(snip) But issues begin to arise when we take the ideal SHOOTING rifle and decide arbitrarily that we now have the ideal HUNTING rifle. This just isn't so, despite what we've been told on the Sportsman's Channel, or even here on the THF. The current propaganda would have us believe that, unless our rifle is tricked out with clicking scope turrets and VLD bullets, we aren't equipped for an elk hunt. And everyone knows that elk are always at least 1000 yards away! (Apparently, it has never occurred to these experts that when you spot a bull a half-mile away, you can simply stroll over and cut the distance by half or more).
(snip)

Sorry to get your dander up. No "boasting" it was simply a statement of fact. Built them myself, and that is what they weigh. Thankfully you don't have to like it, I do.

I never made any claim that it is "ideal" for anything. I have no issue with hunting or target shooting with what I have. It's not like I'm treking up a mountain after goats or chasing elk. I'm in Texas, hogs deer and varmints (when the opportunity arises). Is it ideal for everything? no of course not. Firearms are like golf clubs, each does something better than the other.

The RPR seems like it will do everything that I like, while weighing less and costing allot less than what I have. Sounds like a winner. Is it heavier than a sporter yes but by just (+/-) 3 pounds. I look forward to seeing how these shake out with those that pony up and get one.

That said, if someone is going to whine about 15lbs opposed to 8lbs then something is not right.

PS: I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't attribute something to me that was not said or implied. Some might call a person that does that a liar.

Rockfish Dave,

When writing stories on general topics or ideas, it is my nature to sprinkle specific, targeted examples here and there in the story in order to clarify a broad concept. And I try whenever possible to dedicate one paragraph--no more or less--to each targeted example, and when the next paragraph begins, I revert back to general ideas. This I learned in eleventh-grade creative writing, and I've more or less stuck with this M.O. all my life when putting a pen to paper.

Even in my rambling post to which you refer, there are at least two such paragraphs. One of them is the snippet about my custom .300 WinMag I had built on the David Miller idea of the ideal coues deer rifle. The other specific example was the paragraph in which I quoted you. I couldn't remember your name from when you posted it, but I recalled the meat of your post fairly accurately, I believe. I probably should have taken 5 minutes or so to retrieve your name from your post so I could have mentioned you by name. But I was too lazy to do so and now, sadly, that is all water under the bridge.

The paragraph that targeted you begins with "A guy..." and ends with "...22 years." Conveniently in your rebuttal post, you also dedicate just one paragraph of your own, and that dovetails nicely with mine. It is in your second rebuttal paragraph that things go awry. Here, you cut and paste snippets ("snips") from other paragraphs in my post and seemingly believe that these additional statements are directed specifically at you, when of course they're not. I didn't write anything that could even myopically be construed as "a guy", or "Rockfish", or even "Dave". I didn't say it, suggest it, imply it, nor dream it. So, outside of the snippets you refer to in your first rebuttal paragraph (and I DO believe you were boasting), all the others (the IDEAL rifle, long range elk shooting, etc) are directed to no one in particular. I even went the extra mile in making this point in that I specifically EDITED TO ADD a disclaimer to FiremanJG. I perhaps should have mentioned you in the disclaimer as well, but as I said earlier, I had forgotten your name and was too lazy to retrieve it.

FiremanJG and I disagree on occasional specific points here on the THF from time to time, but we agree with each other far more often than not. He is a nuts and bolts rifleman of considerable experience, and it shows in his posts as well as in his "giving back" to our hobby via his shooting seminars. I'm sure that once we get past some of the myopic minutiae, you and I will also find that we agree far more often than we disagree.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/01/15 10:16 PM

Rockfish Dave,

When writing stories on general topics or ideas... (Useless drivel of an egotistical old man)

Even in my rambling post... (more of the above)

The paragraph that targeted you begins with "A guy..." and ends with "...22 years." (For someone that boasts of their writing prowess, this (yet again) rambling "paragraph" would not be needed if you were half the writer that you are in your own mind)

I now see why you are "retired". Stick to your soft foods, yelling at the kids to "stay off your lawn" and medications "gym rat" (laughs).

I however will admit I was wrong to engage you. It is clear by your previous post(s) what sort of person you are.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/01/15 10:50 PM

Are we still talking about the Ruger Precision Rifle?
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/01/15 10:58 PM

Guys just went out last week to the range just northwest of San Antonio with the Ruger boys. They put the New Swarokski X5's on the Precision in 6.5. Let's just say my neighbor came back ready to order one! It sure isn't a traditional hunting rifle due to the weight, but he said it is accurate as heck with the 140 Amax (I am pretty sure that is the round he said they shot).
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/01/15 11:03 PM

A Ruger American with lipstick on it.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/02/15 12:11 AM

aim

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/02/15 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: charlesb
A Ruger American with lipstick on it.

And?

Does the Ruger American move a cartridge from the magazine to the chamber, hold the trigger group, fire the cartridge with a decent trigger, then eject the spent brass free of the rifle? Does the barrel shoot consistenly? If the answer is yes, then the Ruger American is a pretty good barreled action. I don't even own one single Ruger bolt gun and I am fine with them trying to give more options to the shooting community.

The trick is that this system most likely provides a platform that affords good trigger control due to the vertical grip. It most likely well marries the action to the chassis, and clearly maintains a free-floated barrel no matter where the rifle is supported on the chassis during the shot. Add to that the ability to adjust the rifle into a more ergonomic platform for a large variety of shooters' body types. All coming in at less money and weighing less than what the best shooters in the country are employing.

I don't see the problem.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/02/15 01:42 AM

I know the action is based off the American, regardless, it is very accurate. My neighbor has never shot longe distance before and he was hitting steel out to 1000. Sure has me intrigued
Posted By: J McCoy

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/03/15 03:18 PM

I've got two on order, I'm going to take one for a test drive.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/03/15 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: J McCoy

My range is about 50 minutes from McKinney.

Just sayin...

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/03/15 07:01 PM

I wonder how long it will take before these show up on store shelves in any significant number.
Posted By: J McCoy

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/03/15 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: J McCoy

My range is about 50 minutes from McKinney.

Just sayin...

I'll hit you up on that once it arrives

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/03/15 09:28 PM

up
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/14/15 09:01 PM

anyone get their hands on one of these yet? Or even seen them in stores?

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/14/15 09:07 PM

... I love the 10 lb rifle issue when guys are 60+ lbs overweight... always makes me laugh when a guy like that complains about "heavy rifle"

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/14/15 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: ETexas Hunter
anyone get their hands on one of these yet? Or even seen them in stores?

Most of the ones not ridiculously over priced are selling out quickly...

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/14/15 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: catslayer
... I love the 10 lb rifle issue when guys are 60+ lbs overweight... always makes me laugh when a guy like that complains about "heavy rifle"

Or BIL that is not 60 pounds over weight, but is so big he could shoot a 10 pound rifle like a pistol. Yet worries about rifle weight like a constant mission.

BIG OLE HATCHET WOUND!
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/17/15 02:38 AM

Or BIL that is not 60 pounds over weight, but is so big he could shoot a 10 pound rifle like a pistol. Yet worries about rifle weight like a constant mission.

BIG OLE HATCHET WOUND!

roflmao
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/17/15 03:12 AM

BIG OLE HATCHET WOUND!

Posted By: syncerus

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/17/15 03:17 AM

Now kids, play nice. When the time comes, each of us can vote with his wallet.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/17/15 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: syncerus
Now kids, play nice. When the time comes, each of us can vote with his wallet.

Good luck voting with your wallet. They are hard to find...
Posted By: danmac

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/17/15 05:25 AM

Had a chance to handle a .243 at Cabelas (Allen Tx.) Really liked
the way it handled. The weight seemed OK and it's the heaviest of the 3 models.

I have a .308 on order, hope to see it soon.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/17/15 12:12 PM

I want a 6.5... So does everyone else

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/17/15 01:20 PM

They're going to be all over the used market in 2-3 years. I'll pick one up then if I need another LR setup.

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/17/15 06:50 PM

They're going to be all over the used market in 2-3 years. I'll pick one up then if I need another LR setup.

Bingo. cheers

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/17/15 07:09 PM

That could be said about most new guns...

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/17/15 07:42 PM

.243 has a 7.5 twist could be interesting with the 105's

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle - 08/22/15 02:12 AM

Cabelas in ft worth had the 243. They raised the price to full sticker though.
I handled it and liked it. Only thing I didn't carry for was the safety. It was awkward and hard to manipulate. I would have preferred a standard Remington style safety on top
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum