Texas Hunting Forum

Suppressor for a precision rifle

Posted By: JTPinTX

Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/07/15 04:29 PM

I have a 6.5 Creedmore built by Jon Beanland I am wanting to put a suppressor on. I know the Thunderbeast 30P-1 is used by more PRS competitors than any other. I really like the looks of the Ultra 7 as well. What are some other suppressors in this category I should be looking at as well? Thunderbeast is about the top of the budget. This is the rifle it is going on:

Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/07/15 04:39 PM

SHARK.....
Posted By: dee

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/07/15 04:51 PM

Crux/Templar
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/07/15 04:51 PM

Templar Tactical (Crux).
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/07/15 04:52 PM

Two things to look at aside from price.

Weight of the suppressor. The heavier the suppressor the more it will affect barrel harmonics. Making a load that shoots 1/2 MOA unsupressed, may start shooting 1 1/2 MOA supressed. Change in harmonics. In this scenario you would have ro build a whole new load for the suppressed rifle.

Next factor to look at is decible reduction. Does it make the rifle hearing safe? Not all of them do.

I have a Tigershark and it is fairly heavy @ 26 ounces. But it is 300 Win Mag rated. Everything is a trade off.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/07/15 05:09 PM

nice stick!
have a custom 6.5 being built as well..

Thunderbeast or Crux

I have a lot of time on both and own the latter.
Really can't go wrong either way.

They make 3 sizes, 6" (Nemesis30), 7.5" (Ark30) and 9" (Archangel)
the smallest is the lightest with the Archangel being the quietest.

I have one of each and have another Nemsis30 and an Ark30 coming.
My Archangel is direct thread with the others having the PMS system.

JEC Customs makes a brake for them that works very well as both a brake and a precision mount.

You can even get the Nemesis30 full auto and SBR rated, not bad for a 10 oz can.

The amazing thing is that they all hit to the same POA.
That's crazy to me..

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/07/15 06:10 PM

I have a guy wanting to make me a deal on an Ark30, at good price. I just don't know that much about them. Thunderbeast I know, and SAS as well. Does the Ark30 compare well with them?
Posted By: Crews

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/07/15 06:33 PM

I sure wish someone could guarantee me that a Harvester would work for this kind of application.....

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/07/15 06:35 PM

I have a Harvester in jail right now that will be used on my coyote calling rifles this fall/winter.
Posted By: slayer12

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/07/15 06:39 PM

What about the silencer co Omega I am wanting to get a new one for my 6.5 as well.
Posted By: Crews

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/07/15 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: JTPinTX
I have a Harvester in jail right now that will be used on my coyote calling rifles this fall/winter.

Seems like a good choice to buy and leave it on a precision rifle... lightweight (11oz), should be decent sound suppression, and VERY affordable. I would not be worried about it not holding up to high round count for this type application. I just cannot find any feedback on POI shift/general affects on accuracy

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/07/15 07:29 PM

The Omega is another one I was looking at for the Creedmoor.

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/07/15 09:38 PM

If you can get a good deal on the ARK30 jump on it.
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/07/15 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

I have a Tigershark and it is fairly heavy @ 26 ounces. But it is 300 Win Mag rated. Everything is a trade off.

as a comparison my Shark is 16oz and is rated for all non-magnum short action calibers...... it used to be ~14.8oz but David updated the blast baffle and rear thread cap......
Posted By: hdfireman

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/07/15 11:01 PM

I own 2 Crux/Templar Tactical suppressors, one being a Archangel and the other an Ark30 and I am happy with both. The Archangel is quieter but a little bigger, like FiremanJG said everything is a trade off
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/08/15 01:23 PM

I have an Allen Engineering AE30 on my 300WM precision rifle. I absolutely love it. The only downside is the weight (25.5 oz) but the can is built like a tank and priced very reasonably. It is a reflex style can which I really love for precision rifles. It slides over ~2.5" of barrel that is precisely machined to match the internal dimension of the suppressor and it is direct thread. My 300WM is easily hearing safe and very pleasant to shoot, and so is everything else I've put it on so far. They are built by Ron Allen, who used to build the suppressors for Ops Inc for quite some time. He is extremely knowledgeable in the world of suppressors and builds a very solid product. For $675 it sure is hard to beat.

http://aesuppressors.com/suppressors/AE30.html

Also, Adco sells Allen Engineering suppressors and they will do the barrel contour for these cans in house for around $130, but Ron Allen provides the detail drawing so you can print it off and take it to any machinist you trust.

https://www.adcofirearms.com/images/AE2030.jpg
Posted By: Matt

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/08/15 02:30 PM

I shot a buddy's Omega on my custom 6.5 Creed a couple of weeks ago. It was quieter than my Thompson Machine 30 and it had ZERO POI shift. Something i cannot say with the 30. The Omega comes in at 14oz., is full auto rated, and good to 300WinMag. My 30 is 26oz and not full auto or 300Win rated. I do believe the Omega will be my next can.

Thanks!!
Matt
Posted By: Dien

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/08/15 02:32 PM

Wish Crux/Templar would release some testing numbers. If they are out there I can't find them.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/08/15 02:48 PM

I have a Thunderbeast 30-PS, the slightly shorter model at 7". Love it and use it on all my bolt guns, it is very light.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/08/15 06:41 PM

I ordered an Omega and a Harvester with the intent being that the Omega go on my AR guns, and the Harvester be dedicated to my bolt gun and likely never moved. I may have to cross-test them and see what I think.

@MacDaddy21, not knowing what might happen down the road, I wouldn't want to machine the last 2.5" of my barrel to fit a suppressor when there are so many that don't require that. That, plus the $130 extra puts them in the ballpark with a lot of the others, and then throw in the weight component...
Posted By: xtant23

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/08/15 09:16 PM

shark
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/09/15 04:29 PM

I have a 6.5 Creedmore built by Jon Beanland I am wanting to put a suppressor on. I know the Thunderbeast 30P-1 is used by more PRS competitors than any other. I really like the looks of the Ultra 7 as well. What are some other suppressors in this category I should be looking at as well? Thunderbeast is about the top of the budget. This is the rifle it is going on:

Excellent choice in rifle builder by the way
Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/09/15 05:21 PM

3 x on the Templar Tactical (Crux).

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/09/15 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Dien
Wish Crux/Templar would release some testing numbers. If they are out there I can't find them.

I have metered them..
they are right there with other similar cans.

The reason you don't see metering being done is that there isn't a hard standard. Also that the reading can change based on environmentals
Posted By: jeff1383

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/09/15 07:33 PM

I've had 3 6.5 creeds and a 260 that Ive used my Shark 308 can on. I figure around 6000 rounds fired on it in the last 4 years. Sharks are a well constructed non welded can that is fully serviceable. On top of that David can set up your trust and there always in stock

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/09/15 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

Excellent choice in rifle builder by the way

Yes, Jon is top-notch. He did all the machine work on that rifle, and then I did all the cerakote myself.
Posted By: jhopkins

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/18/15 05:49 AM

I'm going to go with a Harvester on my Beanland 6.5 Creedmoor.

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/18/15 07:05 PM

Harvester is a great can as is the Griffin Sportsman
Posted By: crawdaddy

Re: Suppressor for a precision rifle - 07/19/15 01:50 AM

Harvester. 4 of us shooting 4 different rifles with 4 different cans and no POI issues at all, including shooting steel at 500 yards.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum