Texas Hunting Forum

Suppressor Covers - Needed or Not?

Posted By: DrifterAT

Suppressor Covers - Needed or Not? - 06/24/15 08:24 PM

Do folks with Suppressors use covers? If you do, what brand of covers?

I expect two suppressors to arrive in the next month and started thinking of the heat buildup while at the range. When I'm finished shooting, I don't mind waiting a short time for the can to cool before securing the rifle in it's bag or case. Any extended wait time simply drives my range cost up. The lease range isn't a concern since I have plenty of time.

I've been looking at the FTW MAD and HAD covers for their sustained 3000 degrees of the inner core cover and the flexibility of changing the outside cover.

I'd appreciate your experience and input to help me be adequately prepared.

Thanks!
Posted By: TCB

Re: Suppressor Covers - Needed or Not? - 06/24/15 08:35 PM

popcorn Watching this one for a better solution....I put an oven hot pad in the gun case.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Suppressor Covers - Needed or Not? - 06/24/15 08:39 PM

I only use one on my long range or magnified scoped rifles for the help of mirage in the scope. They aren't meant for high rate of fire weapons, so I don't use one on my AR15 with red dot.

I use the Elite Iron on my YHM 30 Phantom. It does what it's supposed to do and seems to be the cheapest on the market. It also has the added benefit of being able to handle the suppressor right after shooting it. Since mine is QD and goes from one gun to the next it helps.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Suppressor Covers - Needed or Not? - 06/24/15 08:43 PM

Yes you need one. It is not for looks. With my Tigershark on what was a .260 Remington, after three shots I got suppressor mirage. You will see mirage in your scope from 5 o'clock to 7 o'clock. Anything that obsures your sight picture is not good.

I ordered mine from tabgear.com They are attached to Rifles Only in Kingsville, Texas. I believe they make them there. You input the demensions of your suppressor, the color of cover you want, and the retention system you want. A couple weeks later is shows up at the house.

Once installed I have yet to have suppressor mirage again. Even after firing up to twenty rounds in a few minutes.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Suppressor Covers - Needed or Not? - 06/24/15 09:35 PM

Dang JG...I bet KRoyal could like a smoke off your suppressor after 20 rounds. Man do they get hot.

To OP...these guys are right, mirage is the main reason but another is it protects the suppressor from getting all scratched up.
Posted By: BCJ

Re: Suppressor Covers - Needed or Not? - 06/25/15 12:38 PM

I'm currently at 19 suppressors and 0 suppressor covers so you can definitely get by without a cover. I'll eventually get a cover for the one on my 308 bolt gun since I've had the mirage issue mentioned above.
I just keep a neoprene mouse pad (those freebie cheap ones) around to tighten a hot suppressor as needed. I also have a M249 barrel bag to set things on - the case is rated at 1800 degrees
Posted By: DrifterAT

Re: Suppressor Covers - Needed or Not? - 06/25/15 09:16 PM

Many thanks for the input folks! Sounds like I just need to test the suppressors on my bolt actions and AR models to determine mirage issues but I'm a little concerned with the heat after firing. I like the oven mitt idea with or without a cover.
Posted By: hermano W

Re: Suppressor Covers - Needed or Not? - 06/25/15 09:41 PM

Does keeping the heat from dissipating from the suppressor increase the barrel heating?
Posted By: boonee

Re: Suppressor Covers - Needed or Not? - 06/25/15 10:02 PM

I only .... my trust, only owns 3 suppressors and no covers. They are naked banana
But I don't shoot long range, and rarely more that a shot or two.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Suppressor Covers - Needed or Not? - 06/26/15 01:54 AM

A few shots, not needed, long range and more than a few rounds, definitely needed.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Suppressor Covers - Needed or Not? - 06/26/15 04:10 AM

This is the one I have:
http://www.silencershop.com/gear/pouches-and-covers/bowers-griptastic-suppressor-cover.html

I really only use it occasionally. It can be trimmed to fit the length of your suppressors and they come in a few different sizes. It can be slid off and on pretty easily and does help with mirage but mostly I use it to keep the silencer from getting dinged up. The only downside is that it adds even more weight to the front of the barrel.
Posted By: westexhunt

Re: Suppressor Covers - Needed or Not? - 06/26/15 05:42 AM

I have an elite iron on my 762 SD. Allows me to switch it to another gun when hot. Downside it slides forward with recoil and I have blown some insulation out of the inside on the muzzle end, can't get it tight enough to stay put.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum