Texas Hunting Forum

Gun vault question

Posted By: Hogslayer5L

Gun vault question - 06/15/15 09:37 PM

Im in the process of building a home and we are having a built in concrete vault built. Its going to be totally surrounded by conceete so it will need a dehumidifier. Do any of yal have any recomendations for a electric dehumidifier?
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: Gun vault question - 06/15/15 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Hogslayer5L
Im in the process of building a home and we are having a built in concrete vault built. Its going to be totally surrounded by conceete so it will need a dehumidifier. Do any of yal have any recomendations for a electric dehumidifier?

Amigo.......Just put a 60 watt lightbulb on and leave it all the time. At my final destination its been just fine that way for nearly 18 years.

And its not a fancy bulb. It has just never been turned off. This is just 6 inch concrete and steel door. strips of carpet for the butts of the guns and handguns on metal shelves with carpet.
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: Gun vault question - 06/15/15 09:47 PM

PS...its 12 foot wide and 16 foot deep.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Gun vault question - 06/15/15 10:59 PM

Won't running an HVAC duct and a return keep the room free of humidity?
Posted By: Hogslayer5L

Re: Gun vault question - 06/15/15 11:54 PM

Yes it would but to make it fire proof you dont want ac an duct
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Gun vault question - 06/16/15 12:44 AM

Closing the door to the room is all that is needed. Yes you may get a slight amount of smoke in the room, but if it were me I'd just add a duct and return.

Been to lots and lots of structure fires where the room with the closed door looked almost untouched even though it had an HVAC duct.
Posted By: KC

Re: Gun vault question - 06/16/15 02:51 AM

I have a return in my tornado room and the humidity never gets above 45%.
Posted By: firestick

Re: Gun vault question - 06/19/15 01:06 AM

You can install a fire damper in the wall for the duct to attach to. You can buy for $60 - $100.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum