Texas Hunting Forum

New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise)

Posted By: Dropp-243

New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 06/15/15 12:37 AM

Need some help or advise on purchasing a semi automatic. Plan on using it for shooting paper and just having a good time.Want to spend around $700
Posted By: boonee

Re: New Semi Automatic AR's Rifle - 06/15/15 12:47 AM

I have American Tactical ARs complete starting at $599 + tax. That is a new rifle, complete with a red/green "red dot" sight.
Posted By: cyphertext

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 06/15/15 03:58 AM

S&W M&P 15 Sport or Ruger AR556 are both from common known manufacturers and within your price range. There are also many others such as PSA, Delton, etc.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 06/15/15 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: cyphertext
S&W M&P 15

On sale at Cabela's right now.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 06/15/15 01:50 PM

I am very happy with my two S&W M&P15 Sport's. One of them is a truck gun that has been rode hard and put away wet since 2012, and it never skips a beat. Even when the kids and grandkinds get it smok'n hot with 30 round magazine dumps, it just keeps going. Probably close to 3K rounds through it so far. Both of mine wear 3-9 scopes and will shoot better than I can at 150 yards.

I'm not saying other similar models won't be as good or better. Just sharing my own experience with this articular model. Around here, they sell for $599. to $649.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 06/15/15 01:54 PM

M&P or AR 556.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 06/15/15 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: tth_40
M&P or AR 556.
These, or even the Delton Sport (NOT Sport Lite!).

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 06/15/15 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: tth_40
M&P or AR 556.
considering these two,have heard good things about em
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 06/16/15 12:49 AM

You can skip the tax and all of that stuff by buying one off of the classifieds. Just keep looking until one comes up that looks good to you! You definitely want a CTR stock and wouldnt hurt if a red dot was included or a nice hand rail etc. You might even get some free ammo with it. Some nice ones right now on the classifieds

Good luck!
Posted By: r_u_sharp_2

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 06/16/15 01:09 AM

Cabela's didnt have anymore of the m&p in stock on Saturday for 599, but they did have the DPMS Oracle for the same price.

Decent price for a decent rifle. Upgrade as you want.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 06/16/15 01:34 AM

Buy the least expensive one you can find that has a metal receiver, forward assist, brass deflector, and dustcover, and buy the barrel length you prefer. Then buy a 1-4x scope, mount, and a RRA two stage or CMC trigger. Spend what's left on mags and ammo.

This may put you close to $1k, but you will have a great, versatile rifle.

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 06/16/15 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
Buy the least expensive one you can find that has a metal receiver, forward assist, brass deflector, and dustcover, and buy the barrel length you prefer. Then buy a 1-4x scope, mount, and a RRA two stage or CMC trigger. Spend what's left on mags and ammo.

This may put you close to $1k, but you will have a great, versatile rifle.

Why so much importance on a forward assist and dust cover... Haven't needed either with my Sport, and the paper targets nor the hogs have known the difference.

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 06/16/15 11:58 PM

It's not absolutely necessary, but sure is nice when you need it. I notice you didn't mention the brass deflector grin

The DPMS Oracle is cheaper than the sportical (slick side) at buds.

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 06/17/15 12:41 AM

It's not absolutely necessary, but sure is nice when you need it. I notice you didn't mention the brass deflector grin

Outside of the DPMS Sportical, one has to look fairly hard to find one without a brass deflector. Unless you are left handed, you could get by without one of those too though. smile

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 06/17/15 12:54 AM

Outside of the DPMS Sportical, one has to look fairly hard to find one without a brass deflector. Unless you are left handed, you could get by without one of those too though. smile
I do shoot left handed. Does that make a difference? Sorry,Ive been shooting guns since i was 10. but have very little knowledge of an AR
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 06/17/15 12:59 AM

I can do SW Sport for $599 if you want one.

Bushmaster non-M4 heavy barrel, 16 inch, A3 upper, $650 is a better gun, cover, deflector, etc.

Windham M4A3 flattop camo $740

Colt M4 6920 with no furniture are available at 740

Best deal out there right now is Colt LE6920in magpul camo furniture for 819...or full blown Bushmaster M4's for $874...

With Colt's Chapter 11 filing, they will disappear for a few months pretty quick

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 06/17/15 01:01 AM

Just checked Buds,the Oracle is priced under $500. Seems pretty good for a entry level.Will it last and function for very long?

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 06/17/15 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Dropp-243
Just checked Buds,the Oracle is priced under $500. Seems pretty good for a entry level.Will it last and function for very long?

had one for about 30 rounds. Good gun, I just prefer 20" barrels and didn't want to invest in a scope for it. Ended up trading it for a Remington 700 cdl 30-06.

I run a 20" DPMS A4 upper in three gun, and its had about 5,000 rounds through it and runs fine.

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 06/17/15 03:48 AM

I do shoot left handed. Does that make a difference? Sorry,Ive been shooting guns since i was 10. but have very little knowledge of an AR

While shooting left handed, the brass deflector might help keep the brass from hitting you... will still cross in front of your face, but should be out in front of you.

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 06/17/15 04:34 AM

If you shoot left handed, you're going to want one with a brass deflector. Any A2 or later receiver will have one.

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 06/17/15 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: r_u_sharp_2
Cabela's didnt have anymore of the m&p in stock on Saturday for 599, but they did have the DPMS Oracle for the same price.

I do have a cabelas card. Lol

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 06/18/15 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: r_u_sharp_2

I do have a cabelas card. Lol

Grabagun has the M&P 15 Sport for $549, and Vernon (sig226fan) has it for $599 if you are close to either shop. Grabagun is in Coppell, and Vernon is out in Wolfe City.

grabagun
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 06/18/15 05:47 AM

Adams arms evo blem is a solid shooter. Buddy got one and i was very impressed.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 06/30/15 11:21 AM

Build your own. It's cheaper. Wait for a good sale on an upper and/or full kit. Take your time.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 07/03/15 04:05 PM

You can get a left handed upper and bolt. No need to have brass flying across your face. Just build it how you want it. Then upgrading (or repairing) is simple.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 07/03/15 05:32 PM

Somebody has the Delton Sport for $479 this week.
Posted By: RickC

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 07/04/15 02:07 PM

While shooting left handed, the brass deflector might help keep the brass from hitting you... will still cross in front of your face, but should be out in front of you.

If you're a lefty, don't even consider one without a brass deflector. Those fired cases are HOT and you don't want them hitting you in the face. And some WILL hit you in the face upon extraction. Voice of experience here.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: New Semi Automatic AR Rifle (need advise) - 07/04/15 02:50 PM

With today's prices and inventory, it's hard to believe that right after Sandy Hook, shooters were lining up to gladly shell out $2000 (or more) for an AR--any AR--as soon as the gun shops could get them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum