Texas Hunting Forum

Building an AR

Posted By: Decoy

Building an AR - 06/10/15 04:18 AM

Does anyone have a good source that would walk you through building an AR? I was thinking of trying to build one in 243 caliber but have never built one before. I'm also curious what the difference in recoil would be between a 243 and 308. If it is not much, I may just buy a 308. This gun would be for my 6 year old son so I want to reduce recoil as much as possible. Thanks
Posted By: JESmith

Re: Building an AR - 06/10/15 04:27 AM

For a six year old, start him out on a 22.
Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Re: Building an AR - 06/10/15 04:28 AM

I don't believe there would be much difference in recoil between the two in an ar platform. Larry potter field has some great videos of assembly. Although I believe for a 243 you will have to go AR10 instead of ar15

Re: Building an AR - 06/10/15 04:33 AM

Originally Posted By: JESmith
For a six year old, start him out on a 22.

He already has a 22 and killed a deer last season with an AR 15 but I want to go to a higher caliber.

Re: Building an AR - 06/10/15 04:40 AM

Originally Posted By: SpoonPlatoon
I don't believe there would be much difference in recoil between the two in an ar platform. Larry potter field has some great videos of assembly. Although I believe for a 243 you will have to go AR10 instead of ar15

Thanks
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Building an AR - 06/10/15 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Decoy
Does anyone have a good source that would walk you through building an AR? I was thinking of trying to build one in 243 caliber but have never built one before. I'm also curious what the difference in recoil would be between a 243 and 308. If it is not much, I may just buy a 308. This gun would be for my 6 year old son so I want to reduce recoil as much as possible. Thanks
I don't think you'll notice much difference between a 243 and 223 in recoil in an AR.

However, I personally think it's really irresponsible to let a 6-year-old shoot any type of semi-auto firearm. I've got a 5yo myself, so I know what that age is like. JMHO, I know you didn't ask for it.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Building an AR - 06/10/15 12:23 PM

For a lite recoiling AR I highly suggest spending the money on a good muzzle brake, YouTube has videos comparing them side by side. After that get an adjustable gas block, and then compliment that with the correct bolt carrier and recoil spring. Kits can be found for "low mass" buffer springs and bolt carriers, but they are pricey, but if you want low recoil that's what you will need.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Building an AR - 06/10/15 12:47 PM

You might want to look into 6.8SPC as well. It is an AR15 platform so it will be a lot cheaper to build and a lot lighter for a 6 year old to tote around. 6.8 ammo is available almost everywhere. You will need an AR10/LR308 platform to build a 243 on. Building an AR15 is a breeze all parts, if milspec, will fit anything AR15 related. There are two different versions of the 308 AR, the AR10 pattern which was the first made by Armalite and the LR308/SR25 which was made by DPMS and Knights Armament. Out of the two I'd go LR308/SR25 because they work with most AR15 milspec parts like lower parts kits buffer tubes and those kinds of things. Almost every part for the AR10 platform is proprietary so you can't just look online or go in a store and find parts for a 308 AR and throw them together you have to make sure first what you upper and lower pattern will be and then build around that. Then get a barrel and rail system that is either DPMS or AR10 pattern depending on what pattern you choose to build on. It can get quiet confusing LOL.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Building an AR - 06/10/15 01:02 PM

I'd say go 308. It's very versatile and can take down any game in Texas also can reach out and touch something.
Posted By: el_cazador713

Re: Building an AR - 06/10/15 04:40 PM

Sorry to jump in, I'm looking to build an AR10 in 6.5 creedmoor. I'm debating between a 18 or 20" barrel. Barrel will be threaded. Any suggestions/experience?
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Building an AR - 06/10/15 05:06 PM

I'd do 6.8 as well due to the cost of the AR10 platform need for .243
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Building an AR - 06/10/15 09:05 PM

The AR10's are very heavy in comparison to an AR15.

Having said that, I will agree that handing a 6 year old boy an autoloader for a hunting trip is just asking for a traumatic experience, not clever or responsible.

A youth model bolt-action makes a heck of a lot more sense.
Posted By: Bradgrace

Re: Building an AR - 06/10/15 10:27 PM

Go 6.8 it won't kick as bad and be less weight. As for a 6 year old shooting a semi auto i don't see any problem in it the rifle can grow with them put an adjustable gas block on it and you can turn the gas off and it will be a single shot. Or just put a round or 2 in the magazine. Yoi could always get reduced recoil rounds for it as well whatever caliber you go with.
Posted By: customcutter

Re: Building an AR - 06/10/15 10:42 PM

You might want to look at 6.5 Grendel as well. Ammo is a little harder to find, but not an issue if you stock up or reload. Ballistics are superior to 6.8 or even .308 down range.

Re: Building an AR - 06/11/15 02:01 AM

My reasoning behind a getting an AR is the adjustable stock and having a gun he can use his entire life. I don't have to put 30 rounds in it.
Posted By: boonee

Re: Building an AR - 06/11/15 02:25 AM

X2 on the 6.5 Grendel, buy a complete upper, push the pins and replace it. 123 grain bullet with plenty of knock down, and even with a 16" barrel it will be enough out to 300 yards. (Not that I would shoot a game animal that far, but that's me)
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum