Texas Hunting Forum

Law on transporting rifle in Oklahoma?

Posted By: Ryan81

Law on transporting rifle in Oklahoma? - 06/10/15 03:14 AM

Does anyone know the laws on having a rifle in the vehicle while in Oklahoma? I'll be up there a few days and figured I'd take a rifle with me.
Posted By: headhunter54

Re: Law on transporting rifle in Oklahoma? - 06/10/15 03:39 AM

Think no problem as long as unloaded. I hunt in NW OK and never had a problem.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Law on transporting rifle in Oklahoma? - 06/10/15 03:43 AM

In West Virginia, they publish the gun laws in the hunting regulations. I wonder if Oklahoma does as well?

Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Law on transporting rifle in Oklahoma? - 06/10/15 04:10 AM

Google Oklahoma highway patrol and give them a call.
Posted By: JThoele

Re: Law on transporting rifle in Oklahoma? - 06/10/15 12:43 PM

Oklahoma is a godless, lawless place - feel free to do as you please...
Posted By: Okie260

Re: Law on transporting rifle in Oklahoma? - 06/10/15 01:25 PM

Has to be unloaded unless you have a carry permit.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Law on transporting rifle in Oklahoma? - 06/10/15 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Ryan81
Does anyone know the laws on having a rifle in the vehicle while in Oklahoma? I'll be up there a few days and figured I'd take a rifle with me.

No loaded long rifles and ML's can't be capped.

Also no shooting from a truck.

Re: Law on transporting rifle in Oklahoma? - 06/10/15 03:51 PM

If you have a carry permit, you can carry a long gun magazine loaded but not chambered in a vehicle in OK. Without a permit you can't even have a loaded magazine in a vehicle. My primary reason for getting a permit was to be able to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in our ranch truck. Pigs and coyotes don't usually give you time to load.

Re: Law on transporting rifle in Oklahoma? - 06/11/15 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: JThoele

You forgot toothless.. or is that Arkansas?

Re: Law on transporting rifle in Oklahoma? - 06/11/15 03:28 PM

You are correct. Oklahoma is an awful place full of hillbillies and rednecks, the latter of which has been used to describe me. Please avoid traveling to or through here at all cost. You might be captured and forcibly married into a toothless hillbilly clan. Please pass this along to others you know.
Posted By: okie44

Re: Law on transporting rifle in Oklahoma? - 06/12/15 12:39 AM

This post has been hijacked already, this won't hurt! grin

Re: Law on transporting rifle in Oklahoma? - 06/12/15 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by okie44

I'm not sure if that was artistic brilliance or pure stupidity in musical form.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Law on transporting rifle in Oklahoma? - 06/12/15 11:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Okie260
You are correct. Oklahoma is an awful place full of hillbillies and rednecks, the latter of which has been used to describe me. Please avoid traveling to or through here at all cost. You might be captured and forcibly married into a toothless hillbilly clan. Please pass this along to others you know.

rofl
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Law on transporting rifle in Oklahoma? - 06/12/15 04:05 PM

If you have a carry permit, you can carry a long gun magazine loaded but not chambered in a vehicle in OK. Without a permit you can't even have a loaded magazine in a vehicle. My primary reason for getting a permit was to be able to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in our ranch truck. Pigs and coyotes don't usually give you time to load.

Even on private property?

Re: Law on transporting rifle in Oklahoma? - 06/12/15 08:55 PM

Not 100% sure on private property but I think you are good as long as you aren't shooting at regulated game animals from a vehicle and I don't think pigs count as they are ferral and they shoot them from helicopters. I think the unloaded rule is for public roads. Either way the odds of it being an issue on private property are pretty low if you aren't doing something stupid. I would call the OHP and ask if you have a situation you are worried about.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Law on transporting rifle in Oklahoma? - 06/20/15 07:42 PM

Oklahoma Philharmonic Orchestra is pretty good.
Posted By: boonee

Re: Law on transporting rifle in Oklahoma? - 06/20/15 08:07 PM

Well crap! I guess I'm a redneck, because I knew just about everything in that music clip.
Posted By: okie44

Re: Law on transporting rifle in Oklahoma? - 06/20/15 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: boonee
Well crap! I guess I'm a redneck, because I knew just about everything in that music clip.

clap
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Law on transporting rifle in Oklahoma? - 06/21/15 02:15 PM

Pretty bad when you have been in all the towns he mentions..and more than few times bolt
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Law on transporting rifle in Oklahoma? - 06/22/15 12:37 PM

you can only marry if you are related.
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Law on transporting rifle in Oklahoma? - 06/22/15 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: JThoele

Not so .... I have a friend that was in Oklahoma and was headed to my cousins ranch, he had a pistol with the clip in it(loaded magazine and un-chambered)that was in a plastic case inside the center console and 4 rifles that were unloaded.

He got pulled over on a county road and there was a empty can of beer in the back floor board with a couple of drops of beer in it from hours earlier on the ranch.

The result was him being booked into the country jail on "open container with loaded weapon" which upgraded it to a felony charge and he sat in the county jail until the following morning at which time the judge said "This is B.S. you let them go RIGHT NOW!"

In Oklahoma your rifle must be unloaded including magazine while transporting during hunting season and muzzleloaders must be uncapped.

Even if you are on private property you cannot have a loaded gun in the truck and cannot fire out of a vehicle.

The only loaded weapons allowed in the vehicle are those allowed by concealed carry and you must have a permit.
Posted By: Poke81

Re: Law on transporting rifle in Oklahoma? - 06/26/15 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by retfuz

Oklahoma Philharmonic Orchestra is pretty good.

Ray Wylie Hubbard sings that a little better.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum