Texas Hunting Forum

Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical

Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 12:31 PM

Any one have any experience with this savage rifle? Its a 20" 308 threaded barrel with the accustock and accutrigger. The savage website says it comes with a 10 round detachable savage mag, but I saw one in academy last night that had a flush mag in it.

I'm tossing around the idea of buying either this rifle or the remington SPS tactical in 308. What say ye?
Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 12:35 PM

Tikka ctr for the win.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 12:48 PM

I was doing some research on the Savage a while back and found that the FCP-SR with the detachable mag is a Cabelas exclusive and called around to some Cabelas with the item number and they showed none in stock and none on the way. This was about a month ago.
Posted By: Varget 7-08

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal
I was doing some research on the Savage a while back and found that the FCP-SR with the detachable mag is a Cabelas exclusive and called around to some Cabelas with the item number and they showed none in stock and none on the way. This was about a month ago.

We have one on our shelves, so it can't be an exclusive. 10rd DBM

OP: Go with the Savage. It's a far superior rifle and it has a $100 rebate right now

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Varget 7-08

OP: Go with the Savage. It's a far superior rifle and it has a $100 rebate right now

Really? I couldn't find one anywhere online with the model number they only showed up through cabelas website. Guess maybe I need to look some more then..
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 01:34 PM

The Savage you're asking about is fantastic. I have the model before this one, didn't come with 10 round mag or threaded barrel, but had the accustock and accutrigger. Here is a 3 shot group at 300yds.

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 01:45 PM

Tried sending PM, but you're over your limit. How much is that rifle?

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 01:54 PM

Found the savage at academy last night for $549

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: SpoonPlatoon
Found the savage at academy last night for $549

Thanks, I'm going to call our academy and see if they have one. If so I'm going to pick it up at lunch. Hopefully it is the correct version. All the ones I see come with detachable 10 round mags accustock and accutrigger. I've not seen any come with the flush mag.

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 02:02 PM

Well.... That was a no go.
Posted By: huck18

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua
Tikka ctr for the win.

This is the way to go. Great action you can build on down the road. Super accurate out of the box. My CTR is capable of 1/2 inch groups.

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 02:41 PM

But the CTR is double the price
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 03:03 PM

I have the Savage, but have not gotten to shoot it yet as I am stuck on selecting a scope. bang
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 03:19 PM

IMO if you are going to keep a rifle completely stock and just put glass on it, it does not get more accurate than Savage.

My brother has a 6.5 creedmoor with accustock and accutrigger, he has never shot past 100 yards before. Did some long range shooting and he shot a 1.5 inch 3 shot group at 400 yards, extremely impressive!

With the rebate it is a no brainer.

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: JRJ6
I have the Savage, but have not gotten to shoot it yet as I am stuck on selecting a scope. bang

Vortex Viper PST 4-16
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig

Vortex Viper PST 4-16

Thanks. Stuck between that one and the Bushnell Tactical Elite

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 03:32 PM

Vortex Viper PST 4-16

Also you might want to take a look at the SWFA 3-15x Mil/Mil that will be the scope I put on my bolt gun if I can ever get my gas gun sold LOL.

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 03:37 PM

Vortex Viper PST 4-16

The Bushnell is much better quality glass. I got an ERS 6-24 FFP for $900 at optics planet.

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 03:40 PM

Because it's not a Savage.

If your on a tight budget the Savage is fine. But if you can spend the extra cash on the Tikka you will be glad you did.

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: huck18

Because it's not a Savage.

If your on a tight budget the Savage is fine. But if you can spend the extra cash on the Tikka you will be glad you did.

After you upgrade the stock on a Tikka... I wouldn't buy a short action caliber Tikka anyway because they only make 1 size action, long.

Buy a Savage, shoot the barrel out, then change the barrel or change the caliber to anything in the family. I don't see anything better than that.

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 04:21 PM

And worth every nickel.

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 04:24 PM

And worth every nickel.

And opinions are worth the paper they are written on

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 04:33 PM

Vortex Viper PST 4-16

Yup, own one and love it. Be sure to go FFP and Mil/Mil!
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 04:36 PM

OP - stick with the Savage. Just picked up a savage 11VT myself and can't believe how well it shoots. Best shooting factory rifle under $750 I've ever seen, and I paid $400 for it. The 11VT doesn't even come with the Accustock, but I had a half inch group first time out with it and consistently shot .75"-1" groups next time out in windy conditions. Had a couple in the .5"-.6" range. The factory stock isn't too bad - dual front studs and a good recoil pad. Doesn't need immediate replacement like the much more expensive Tikka would have.

You might consider going with the 11VT depending on what you want to do with the gun. It's on sale for $500 right now minus a $50 rebate minus 10% if you sign up for a Dick's credit card plus you get double rewards points on your first purchase, which is about $40-$50 in Dick's gift cards back. Makes for a cheap shooter. But if you like the shorter threaded barrel, then the 10FCP-SR is for you. Just be aware that lots of folks are having issues with the DBM on that model, and it's $200 for replacement bottom metal for aftermarket mags.
The Savage you're asking about is fantastic. I have the model before this one, didn't come with 10 round mag or threaded barrel, but had the accustock and accutrigger. Here is a 3 shot group at 300yds.
The previous 10FCP-SR is different than the new one. The old one was a $1200 rifle. This one is $500-$600. But that's a heck of a 300-yd group!

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 04:36 PM

Also, the Savage is 1:10 twist and the SPS tactical is 1:12. I don't know why Remington did that...

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
Also, the Savage is 1:10 twist and the SPS tactical is 1:12. I don't know why Remington did that...

And the Savage has 5R rifling

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 06:20 PM

And worth every nickel.

Yep just like yours.

The Savage guys get soo butt hurt when someone suggest a superior factory rifle.
Posted By: dee

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 06:44 PM

5r makes no real difference in performance and for 99% neither does the twist difference as most never go heavier than the 190gr stuff.

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 07:16 PM

And worth every nickel.

Yep just like yours.

The Savage guys get soo butt hurt when someone suggest a superior factory rifle.

And Tikka guys won't believe that a cheaper gun will shoot just as good. Please explain what makes it superior?

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: dee

5r makes no real difference in performance and for 99% neither does the twist difference as most never go heavier than the 190gr stuff.

I could be wrong, but I thought I read that the inventor of the 5R rifling designed it around the 168-175gr match bullets. I know mine doesn't care for most non-match ammo below 175gr. May just be marketing propaganda

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by huck18
Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by 6.5x47Lapua
Originally Posted by BigPig

And worth every nickel.

Yep just like yours.

The proof is in the pudding. How many people win shooting matches with stock Tikkas?

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: dee

I could be wrong, but I thought I read that the inventor of the 5R rifling designed it around the 168-175gr match bullets. I know mine doesn't care for most non-match ammo below 175gr. May just be marketing propaganda

Boots Obermeyer is the man behind 5r rifling. It is said to be less stressful on a bullet wwhen it contacts the lands but there is no proof behind it.

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 08:07 PM

Did you happen to catch the part where they said he was one of the top shooters in the world. Trust me he doesn't use a Savage because they are the best. He uses a Savage because Savage pays him to do so.

This guy on the other hand is not one of the top shooters in the world and he's winning matches against shooters with much more expensive rifles than his factory Tikka.

http://www.sincityprecision.com/?p=2274

To each his own but there is nothing about the Savage that is superior to the Tikka except for the stock.

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 08:33 PM

Did you happen to catch the part where they said he was one of the top shooters in the world. Trust me he doesn't use a Savage because they are the best. He uses a Savage because Savage pays him to do so.

This guy on the other hand is not one of the top shooters in the world and he's winning matches against shooters with much more expensive rifles than his factory Tikka.

To each his own but there is nothing about the Savage that is superior to the Tikka except for the stock.
And the price...
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 09:15 PM

And the price...

Isn't it also amazingly easy to change calibers on the Savage?
Posted By: Varget 7-08

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 09:25 PM

And the price...

And the aftermarket.

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Gone to Texas

Yep just like yours.

The proof is in the pudding. How many people win shooting matches with stock Tikkas?
[/quote]

The guy in the video is the only one that ran totally stock for very long. The others went through several hand picked barrels to achieve desired accuracy. There were even recent talk of them using aftermarket barrels during the world f-class.

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 09:41 PM

He started shooting F class way before he joined Team Savage which competes nationally and wins. Who has done this with a stock Tikka?

The Tikka is a great long action to build off of, but out of the box it cannot beat a Savage.

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 09:58 PM

I'd have to disagree with that. I feel the tikka is a much superior action with a better trigger. Accuracy is pretty much even for the two.

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/03/15 11:33 PM

And the price...

And the aftermarket.

You can get just about anything you want aftermarket for a Tikka. Chassis systems, Manners/McMillan stocks. Triggers, bolt shrouds, bottom metal. What more do you want?

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/04/15 12:31 AM

With quality detachable magazines, open top actions just aren't necessary.

I've had to bed one piece rails on both Savages and Remington 700s because they were not square from front to back. Annoying, but servicable.

Closed top actions like the savage PTA, LRP, tikka, etc, etc don't have these troubles. Just pin them down and bolt them into place. The t3 action comes with a nice cutout for a properly lugged base. No bedding necessary.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/04/15 01:00 AM

Purchased a Savage 12 .22-250 in 2007. The first barrel I shot out at 2000 rounds. The barrel it is on now, has 1500+ after this past weekend of 500.

Purchased a Savage 10 in .308 Winchester in 2010. That barrel got 1200 round on it, then swapped to a .260 Rem that got 2500 on it.

Each one of thesr actions has had ejector springs replaced two or three times. The .22-250 had an extractor swapped at the tailgate one year in a prairiedog town.

Sunday and Monday I was killing prairie dogs in the panhandle. I put 500 rounds through the .22-250, but also brought along the Tikka action 6.5 Creedmoor to take long shots while the Savage .22-250 cooled off. Each and every time I put down the Savage and picked up the Tikka action I realized what a no cycling, no ejecting rough S.O.B. the Savage is. I have even contemplated buying my third Tikka action and building it into the new .22-250. The Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor now has 500 rounds on it. I have another Tikka 7mm-08 with 300 rounds on it. I'm working toward getting out of the Savage business and only in the Tikka business.

Pay the little extra money and buy a Tikka. The Tikka is a far better action, I think I can speak with authority on the comparison.

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/04/15 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Purchased a Savage 12 .22-250 in 2007. The first barrel I shot out at 2000 rounds. The barrel it is on now, has 1500+ after this past weekend of 500.

Purchased a Savage 10 in .308 Winchester in 2010. That barrel got 1200 round on it, then swapped to a .260 Rem that got 2500 on it.

Each one of thesr actions has had ejector springs replaced two or three times. The .22-250 had an extractor swapped at the tailgate one year in a prairiedog town.

Sunday and Monday I was killing prairie dogs in the panhandle. I put 500 rounds through the .22-250, but also brought along the Tikka action 6.5 Creedmoor to take long shots while the Savage .22-250 cooled off. Each and every time I put down the Savage and picked up the Tikka action I realized what a no cycling, no ejecting rough S.O.B. the Savage is. I have even contemplated buying my third Tikka action and building it into the new .22-250. The Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor now has 500 rounds on it. I have another Tikka 7mm-08 with 300 rounds on it. I'm working toward getting out of the Savage business and only in the Tikka business.

Pay the little extra money and buy a Tikka. The Tikka is a far better action, I think I can speak with authority on the comparison.

Thanks for the write up JG. I really wish I could put that many rounds down the barrel of a gun at one time. To be honest this gun would probably see less than 1K rounds in its lifetime.

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/04/15 02:57 AM

I called academy and talked to the gun bar. They said the rifle I held was a savage 10 PT-SR. I'm not seeing this on savages website though.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Savage 10 FCP-SR or SPS tactical - 06/04/15 03:09 AM

Originally Posted By: SpoonPlatoon
I called academy and talked to the gun bar. They said the rifle I held was a savage 10 PT-SR. I'm not seeing this on savages website though.

Buds has one similar to that in that price range, the P-SR.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum