Texas Hunting Forum

Rifle Builder in Fort Worth?

Posted By: Wildhorse

Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/02/15 02:58 PM

This year I am considering just buying a Remington 700 action and separate barrel and contracting a local smith to put them together.

1. Who do you guys know that can turn a barrel and action into a barreled action, blueprinting, reaming, and headspacing, included of course, in the Fort Worth area?
2. What should I expect to pay?
3. How long should I expect to wait?
4. Where can I find a Rem 700 action for the most reasonable price?

Posted By: dee

Re: Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/02/15 03:16 PM

Not sure about in the Ft Worth area but Scott Weichel is in Wylie and S&S precision is in the dfw area as well.
Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/02/15 03:30 PM

I can't answer all of your questions, but I just bought a SS M700 LA Magnum action off of Grab a Gun, I just checked the site and they start around $370 and go up to about $400 depending on action and material, they were the cheapest I found when searching. Mine came with an X Mark trigger that I replaced with a Timney.
Posted By: Wildhorse

Re: Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/02/15 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Southtexas36
I can't answer all of your questions, but I just bought a SS M700 LA Magnum action off of Grab a Gun, I just checked the site and they start around $370 and go up to about $400 depending on action and material, they were the cheapest I found when searching. Mine came with an X Mark trigger that I replaced with a Timney.

10-4 grabagun looks much more reasonable than brownells. Thanks.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/02/15 03:58 PM

I do not know about prices or wait time, that will all vary from gun smith to gun smith.

I live in Fort Worth and I had 2 barrels threaded by Michael at Titan Weapons out in Benbrook. First barrel he was supposed to cut and thread but he forgot to cut it and just threaded the barrel, honest mistake. He cut/threaded my second barrel at 1/2 price and corrected the first barrel. I didn't even ask for the 1/2 price, I understand mistakes happen and it was a fixable mistake, but it was nice to see that kind of customer care.

They do custom builds from beginning to end, honest people who are nice to deal with.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/02/15 04:28 PM

Jon Trammel in Breckenridge, S&S Precision in Denton or TDK in Newark are 3 I would use that are close to Ft Worth.

Price for reaming and fitting a barrel is anywhere from $300-400 and I wouldn't spend the money to blueprint a R700...that is money you'll never get back and by the time you spend that you will be approaching what a custom action would cost. Resale alone on the custom is worth going that route. My opinion...but to blueprint and fit the barrel you're looking around 800-1k.

Time depends on how busy they are and if they have to wait on any parts. One thing I learned a long time ago...you can typically find two of these three - quality, fast and cheap. Don't rush a good gunsmith.

Where to by a R700...Academy buy the cheap ADL and sell off the parts you aren't going to use.

Good luck but I know any of those 3 I listed will put out a gun that will shoot better than the shooter.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/02/15 04:49 PM

I am currently having a custom 280 built by Titan Weapons in Fort Worth. So far in the process, Chad has been great to deal with. We are waiting on my barrel to finish the build.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/02/15 05:53 PM

Alamo Precision Rifles on Hurst Blvd. just east of 820. Robert will do you a great job.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/02/15 06:10 PM

Mine will be a 260 Rem by Robert at Alamo. Can't wait! Hopefully he ain't too popular by the time I get there. Lol
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/02/15 07:26 PM

Look at what you get for your money before you decide. Find a gunsmith and not a gun plumbing sub contractor
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/02/15 07:56 PM

I had the 'smith at Defender Outdoors fix up my Remmy - can't recall his name right now. Was pleased with his work and he showed me some of their custom jobs. I was very impressed.

FWIW, their new space is going to be awesome when it opens up this Fall!

Re: Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/02/15 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Look at what you get for your money before you decide. Find a gunsmith and not a gun plumbing sub contractor

Is this aimed at me or the OP?
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/03/15 12:42 AM

General statement
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/03/15 12:44 AM

Frog, pretty sure that comment from BIL is directed to anyone selecting someone to "build" their rifle

Re: Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/03/15 01:17 AM

Got it. I should have worded that differently anyway. I think I looked a little combatant there. Sorry
Posted By: RH11399

Re: Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/06/15 01:59 PM

+1 for Alamo
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/06/15 03:15 PM

Alamo is good people... Robert will fix you up with a SOLID trued 700 action
Posted By: Bigking

Re: Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/13/15 05:18 AM

Would you guys stop talking about Alamo. They are the best kept secret in the area. Robert and the boys are awesome and prices are stupid low on the work they do. They should be finishing up a spiral fluted LH 300 WM for me soon. Can't wait!!!

Re: Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/13/15 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigking
Would you guys stop talking about Alamo. They are the best kept secret in the area. Robert and the boys are awesome and prices are stupid low on the work they do. They should be finishing up a spiral fluted LH 300 WM for me soon. Can't wait!!!

Robert is a personal friend of mine so I told him to put your LH 300 on hold until he finishes my spiral fluted LH 26 Nosler. It's good to have friends in high places. bolt
Posted By: caddokiller

Re: Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/14/15 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: MikeC
Originally Posted By: Bigking

Robert is a personal friend of mine so I told him to put your LH 300 on hold until he finishes my spiral fluted LH 26 Nosler. It's good to have friends in high places. bolt

He is a personal friend of mine too and I told him to put both of your rifles on hold until he finished both of mine. popcorn

Re: Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/14/15 02:56 AM

I met robert too! He's a GREAT friend of mine! I'd like to stand in front of y'all's line please up

Re: Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/14/15 07:53 PM

You'd better start tipping him well if you want to take my place in line. At the least you'd better tip an amount that exceeds the value of a custom hand made knife or three! Besides, I've shared a deer lease with him so that makes us better friends. grin
Posted By: caddokiller

Re: Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/14/15 10:48 PM

You'd better start tipping him well if you want to take my place in line. At the least you'd better tip an amount that exceeds the value of a custom hand made knife or three! Besides, I've shared a deer lease with him so that makes us better friends. grin

Well my rifle just needs cerakote so its out of Roberts hands. My 2nd one is waiting on McMillan just like yours. And I guess I will lose because that stabilized pine burr knife he got from you is AWESOME and I don't have anything to compare to that. You are a true artisan building a knife.

Re: Rifle Builder in Fort Worth? - 06/15/15 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: caddokiller

Well my rifle just needs cerakote so its out of Roberts hands. My 2nd one is waiting on McMillan just like yours. And I guess I will lose because that stabilized pine burr knife he got from you is AWESOME and I don't have anything to compare to that. You are a true artisan building a knife.

Well don't tell him but wait until he sees the next one. eeks333 up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum