Texas Hunting Forum

Brake or not to brake

Posted By: BassCat'99

Brake or not to brake - 05/26/15 06:07 PM

I am working the .243 to 6.5x47 lupua conversion on paper. Looking at a 24" barrel and wondering if this cartridge would need a brake?
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Brake or not to brake - 05/26/15 06:09 PM

It doesn't need it

You can always thread and cap it for the future brake or can
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Brake or not to brake - 05/26/15 06:11 PM

I'd rather have a nice target crown on that caliber.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Brake or not to brake - 05/26/15 07:45 PM

Nothing .300 Mag or lower ever needs a brake.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Brake or not to brake - 05/26/15 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Gravytrain
I'd rather have a nice target crown on that caliber.

You can have an 11 degree crown, or a recessed crown AND a brake. The crown has nothing to do with what, if any muzzle device you add.

BassCat99,

Yes put a brake on it. You don't have to, but it's more fun to shoot with it. Loudness is void from this argument. If the rifle isn't suppressed, then it is loud, and you need hearing protection. Might as well have half the recoil to go with it.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Brake or not to brake - 05/26/15 07:56 PM

+1 FIREMANJG, loud is loud...low recoil is great, you can concentrate on breaking the shot, not getting recoiled

Some guy's are beasts and can take heavy recoil and still hit their target.

They work great and can always be removed and a threaded cap screwed on.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Brake or not to brake - 05/26/15 08:04 PM

I always say brake and you can have your smith add a thread protector in case you don't like the brake.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Brake or not to brake - 05/27/15 12:30 AM

I have a brake on my 243 and there is now almost zero recoil, at the last match fireman put on someone got a slo mo video me shooting with the brake and There is hardly any movement in my shoulder, sure is nice to shoot. I can spot my own shots on steel from 100 out 800 when I was at Firemans range.

Walter
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: Brake or not to brake - 05/27/15 12:46 AM

Called'em and going with a brake. Thanks guy it makes sense.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Brake or not to brake - 05/27/15 12:53 AM

I put brakes on everything over .243 and thinking about putting a brake on them too! Easy to take brake off and screw on the silencer! I know for a fact that I shoot much better the less the recoil.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Brake or not to brake - 05/27/15 12:58 AM

No brainer brake the recoil. up
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Brake or not to brake - 05/27/15 01:01 AM

I didn't think brakes made a difference in recoil until I shot a rifle with a brake. I shot a .308 with a threaded muzzle break and the recoil felt similar to a .243. Is the recoil of a .308 too much? No, but it is nice to tone it down.

I say buy a suppressor and a brake, use the muzzle brake while you wait for the suppressor.
Posted By: dw173

Re: Brake or not to brake - 05/29/15 06:57 PM

Gotta use hearing protection always. An offhand shot walking to or from your stand will be bad if you don't have ears on.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Brake or not to brake - 05/29/15 08:09 PM

Brakes are great for the shooter, not so much the guy next to em...Walters 243 damn near blew my hat off
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Brake or not to brake - 05/30/15 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36
Brakes are great for the shooter, not so much the guy next to em...Walters 243 damn near blew my hat off

peep

Wasn't much fun when there was three of us up there on the deck all with the same break.

Walter
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum