Texas Hunting Forum

260 Rem.

Posted By: kagomez85

260 Rem. - 05/15/15 02:51 AM

Tell me about it. Long Range? Good hunting round? Came across a pretty nice rifle just don't know much about the caliber...
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: 260 Rem. - 05/15/15 02:54 AM

It's awesome! It's a round based on the 308 Win case, and pushes a 140 grain bullet about 2800 fps. It makes a great hunting round, and it will shoot as far as you have elevation in the scope for. I put 3200+ rounds down my last 260 Rem barrel (with 1 barrel set back).
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: 260 Rem. - 05/15/15 12:16 PM

What does it mean to "set back" your barrel? Does that mean you go back in with the chamber reamer and set the breach end back a little?
Posted By: dee

Re: 260 Rem. - 05/15/15 12:28 PM

Set back is cutting some of the camber off then re-threading and running a chamber reamer in to fully recut it.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: 260 Rem. - 05/15/15 12:45 PM

260 Remington is a good, solid big game cartridge that like many is good for just about anything short of the large bears.

Ballistics are very close to both the 6.5 Creedmoor, and the Swedish 6.5x55. Recoil is not too obnoxious, and the 6.5 hunting bullets tend to have good sectional density for a given weight, so they penetrate.

The ballistic twin 6.5x55 is used extensively in Sweden for elk, using the longer, heavier bullets.

All rifles are different, but many report very good accuracy with the 260 Remington.

Posted By: J.G.

Re: 260 Rem. - 05/15/15 12:54 PM

One of the 6.5 mm short action cartridges. I put 2500 rounds down one and loved it. Moved to the 6.5 Creedmoor and they make the exact same external ballistics. Have hit steel to 1430 yards with it, and did lots of killing with it It'll work on any critter in Texas and sone have used it for elk with good success.

If you do not already own a short action 6.5 mm it is high time that you do.
Posted By: HorizonFirearms

Re: 260 Rem. - 05/15/15 01:18 PM

The creedmoor is the one you want peep
Posted By: nsmike

Re: 260 Rem. - 05/15/15 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: HorizonFirearms

If you like the rifle and it's a good deal there's no reason to pass it up. The marginal advantages of the 6.5 C, using slightly less powder and a slightly smaller extreme spread in velocity, aren't enough, to justify passing up a good deal. The issue of being tied to one manufacturer of ammo for the 6.5 C, no longer exists, with two additional major companies picking it up, but there are more manufacturers of 260 ammo.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: 260 Rem. - 05/15/15 10:03 PM

I'm fond of my 260. With the 120 grain Nosler BT's it kills about the same as my 270 with 130 gr BT's. Noticeably less recoil, even in a much lighter rifle (Tikka T3 Lite). Probably best if you reload for it, like I do. If you don't reload, ammo might not be available just everywhere, so you might be better off with the 270. Everybody has ammo for a 270.
Posted By: kagomez85

Re: 260 Rem. - 05/16/15 09:42 PM

Just picked up the new rifle today, it's ok not overly impressed but I haven't shot it yet either. Turns out it's a Stevens 200 action and channeled out factory stock, ER Shaw 26in Heavy contour stainless barrel, has a nice trigger though. Can't decide if I have good build start or turn it and move on to another rifle for a long range build?? Guy swears by how accurate it is, we will see!
I definitely want to put another stock, and a nice one piece mount on it of I decide to keep it.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: 260 Rem. - 05/16/15 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: nsmike
Originally Posted By: HorizonFirearms

If you like the rifle and it's a good deal there's no reason to pass it up. The marginal advantages of the 6.5 C, using slightly less powder and a slightly smaller extreme spread in velocity, aren't enough, to justify passing up a good deal. The issue of being tied to one manufacturer of ammo for the 6.5 C, no longer exists, with two additional major companies picking it up, but there are more manufacturers of 260 ammo.

Which could be a huge positive via consistency and availbility of that bullet.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: 260 Rem. - 05/17/15 12:11 AM

The 200 action is just fine. As far as I know it's the same as a savage. The shaw barrel may or may not be up to your standards but you have to shoot it to know. Chunk that stock and pick up a choate or something similar.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum