Texas Hunting Forum

Let's talk 9mm carbines

Posted By: BigPig

Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/10/15 09:38 PM

Thinking about getting the CZ Scorpion Evo 3 S1, but also looking at the Beretta CX4 Storm, or maybe a SBR with lower that accepts Glock mags. Also looking at the Lonewolf conversions.

What do yall have experience with?
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/10/15 10:14 PM

Probably not what your looking for but I found the marlin camp 9 to be a lot of fun. Fairly accurate and 30 round mags are available. There's also a camp 45 that shoots 45 ACP.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/10/15 10:51 PM

my issue with the 9mm ar lower is that they are expensive...i think the CZ is the best bet but you don't have mag interchangeability

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/10/15 10:59 PM

Any thoughts one the Roni G2? It uses a Glock 19/17
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/10/15 11:08 PM

Hipoint man... Hipoint...
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/10/15 11:33 PM

Hipoint in an ati cx4 style stock. Just sold one, one of your next fav toys!
A real cx4 just popped up on slick guns for like $550.
Soooo ergonomic!
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/11/15 12:41 AM

JP Enterprise...takes Glock mags; not CHEAP!

Posted By: ccoker

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/11/15 12:49 AM

I had a CX4 wity Glock mags when they first came out. Was a fun little gun
Posted By: Varget 7-08

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/11/15 01:11 AM

AR15 SBR with magwell adapter.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/11/15 01:21 AM

I've always wanted a small, handy rifle in .32 ACP.

9mm comes pretty close.

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/11/15 02:27 AM

Thought about this. But, if I get a SBR upper in 9mm, can I still run my full size upper? I get lost in all the BATFE carp.

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/11/15 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Classic Rocks
Soooo ergonomic!

Does it lose any weight when put in the ATI stock? I've always liked the Cx4 Storm, but not so much the price. I hear the HP is heavy, but works great, but accuracy is lacking. I'm not looking for a 100yd tack driver, but the results I e seen at 50yds leave a lot to be desired.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/11/15 02:37 AM

Quarter Circle dedicated 9mm SBR.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/11/15 02:40 AM

I'd go AR platform.
Posted By: SR025

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/11/15 02:57 AM

Just get an MP5

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/11/15 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: SR025
Just get an MP5

I'll spilt the cost with you
Posted By: SR025

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/11/15 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
Just get an MP5

Perfect, as long as we keep it at my house.

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/11/15 03:08 AM

Just get an MP5

Perfect, as long as we keep it at my house.

That's fine, there is a nice house in my hood for sale
Posted By: Tim9880

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/11/15 04:38 PM

Look at Theuron Defense. Got a couple friends who own them and are happy. If you are interested I might be able to put you in touch with a dealer who has one.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/11/15 05:32 PM

I liked the MP5 but if I were buying one I would go AR platform. I just shoot that more than anything any more (other than my bow) and the feel and operation would be so familiar there would be little adjustment.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/11/15 05:37 PM

If you already have a Glock you can SBR it and get one of the CAA Roni kits.

Roni Kit

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/11/15 05:59 PM

I like the Roni G2, they have another model that doesn't require a SBR, I think it's the BMX
Posted By: JThoele

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/11/15 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: charlesb
I've always wanted a small, handy rifle in .32 ACP.

9mm comes pretty close.

Why on earth would you want a .32ACP carbine, or handgun for that matter? Aside from perhaps a mouse sized pocket pistol (of which a .380 is still superior and easier ammo to obtain), I just can't see the purpose in that caliber.

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/11/15 06:36 PM

Soooo ergonomic!

Does it lose any weight when put in the ATI stock? I've always liked the Cx4 Storm, but not so much the price. I hear the HP is heavy, but works great, but accuracy is lacking. I'm not looking for a 100yd tack driver, but the results I e seen at 50yds leave a lot to be desired.

Weight goes up slightly due to material thickness but the balance evens it out to the "perceived" weight should be the same or less.
Lack of hi cap mags is a deal killer for most.
Taurus just came out with a new little 9mm carbine.

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/11/15 07:26 PM

Ghetto Point doesnt have hi-cap mags? Whodathunkit
Posted By: NTXBowfisher

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/11/15 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip

sexy, this or an MP5
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/11/15 09:02 PM

If not wanting to go the SBR route CMMG offers a 16" AR in 9mm. I have shot one of these and it ran solid, no issues!
Posted By: Beaubien

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/11/15 09:11 PM

I love my High Point carbine. It is cheap and reliable. The only drawback is that you are limited to ten round mags.
Posted By: Earl

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/11/15 10:17 PM

I used to think the same. Then I bought the one Classic Rocks refered to. The ATI stock makes it alot more apealling to me. Everything I have heard about them says they are accurate and reliable with the 10 round mags - will try and get it out this week and shoot it some. It will serve my purpose which is to hold a spot as a pistol calibre carbine until I find a reasonable priced Colt, Rock River, Kel Tec, or Just Right 9mm Carbine. Even then, for $250 I figure I can just leave it in the truck. I can't do that with the others. Earl

Ghetto Point doesnt have hi-cap mags? Whodathunkit
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/13/15 01:21 AM

I've had a few 9mm carbines. The first was the new style Hi Point. It was accurate and reliable. It was a bit heavy and I didn't care for spring loaded, recoil reducing butt stock. The 10 round magazines were also a negative.

The Beretta CX4 seems to have gone down in quality. I've heard stories of new models breaking around the trigger housing. I had one just a few years older, and it was excellent in every respect except the trigger. That was a squishy, polymer mess. There is an excellent upgrade for the fire control group though. The main reason I didn't keep it is that I fell out of love with my Beretta 92.

I now have the Kel Tec 2k that accepts Sig magazines. It also accepts Mec-Gar CZ 75 magazines. I know because that is all I run in it. Because it folds, I almost always have it on me or very near. It isn't as robust as the first two, and even upgraded sights are a bit shoddy. There will be a Gen 2 coming out in the summer.

IF I spend the time and money to stamp an SBR; I would like a 9mm upper.
Posted By: Fez

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/13/15 02:29 PM

I bought a Kel-tec Sub-2000 .40 caliber back in '09 for the incredibly fair price of $350 OTD. Then it broke after less than 200 rounds, and since KT won't send you a shipping ticket, it just sat in my safe for a few years.

Last year, my local toy store ran a special on Just Right carbines, so I got one in 9mm. After having fun with it, I decided I might as well pay shipping to get my Sub-2000 fixed, and off it went.

Props to KT; they fixed my gun and shipped it back really fast!

Anyways, so now I have 2 carbines again, but the JRC isn't as fun now that I got my KT back, and the only reason I would even shoot it was because it was in 9mm, and thus, cheaper to shoot.

As of last month, with the Sub-2000s becoming available again in my area, I sold the JRC, had a little fun with that money, and put a new Sub-2000 9mm on layaway at my favorite toy store.

This new KT is gonna run me the not-so-low price of $599 +tax. Here's why it's worth it to me:

I get a gun that I love in a cheap and fun caliber. It's short without being SBR (, thus providing all benefits of a longer barrel and not needing stamp expense and wait time). It's amazingly light. It runs Glock mags (others available) in a pistol-type mag-well. It's reliable (as in shoots dirty. The other issue I had was a quality issue). It's portable as all get out, open or folded. First owners get a lifetime warranty from KT. And I can get it in any color I want as long as it's black!

I've shot 9mm ARs and that JRC I had, and the weight difference is definitely correlated to the fun factor. Lighter is funner! I imagine the High Point would greatly suffer from its heft regarding the same point.

I can't remember how heavy the Beretta feels, but I remember not liking that they are bulky. Same with the JRC, the bulk of the gun vs. the caliber being shot is too disproportionate in my opinion.

I'm not particularly fond of SBRs in pistol calibers... think of a rifle... that shoots pistol rounds... that doesn't perform like a rifle shooting pistol rounds... that isn't as portable as a pistol... and isn't necessarily as intuitive to use as either platform... and likely costs more and then has added expense and legal requirements... but it has a stock and looks really nice. And still, maybe a Kriss Vector would be nice!

Anyways, I don't own Kel-tec stock nor sell their products, but I'm way beyond pleased with their carbine!

Between your three suggested options, I would choose the CX4 Storm. It's ergonomic, mostly ambidextrous, and strips really easily for cleaning. Also, I'm sure you'll love the magazine well and mag release location compared to AR variants. Best of luck with whatever you decide!
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/13/15 05:59 PM

just saw this..
one of our guys selling a CX4 for 700 NIB

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5742288#Post5742288

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/13/15 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: ccoker
just saw this..
one of our guys selling a CX4 for 700 NIB

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5742288#Post5742288

+ It's the older, and for most people the more desirable, model. I've put a few thousand rounds through one. Not only was it fun, it was accurate and ergonomic.

Here's a link to excellent upgrades:

http://sierrapapacx4.com/index/

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/14/15 01:10 AM

OTOH, my favorite pistol caliber carbine is a lever action trapper in .357

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/17/15 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: okstatefan
OTOH, my favorite pistol caliber carbine is a lever action trapper in .45LC

Fixed
Posted By: sic'em

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/18/15 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip

Would you mind giving a little more info on this good lookin' firearm? Quarter circle lower is obvious. Are the bolt carrier and barrel also quarter circle? Upper? Stock? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/18/15 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: okstatefan
OTOH, my favorite pistol caliber carbine is a lever action trapper in .45LC 357Mag

Fixed

Fixed again. Have owned 357, 44 and 45LC versions, favorite is still the 357 peep
Posted By: ebfc

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/18/15 01:49 PM

I was up at the frint of the line of the High Point bashers. So I got one and played with it on a trade While it's never going to win a beauty contest the damn things work great. Yes you have a 10 round magazine but considering the price point it's a bargain. And if you break it they fix it they don't care if you bought it yesterday or you're the 10th owner.

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/18/15 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: EBF
I was up at the frint of the line of the High Point bashers. So I got one and played with it on a trade While it's never going to win a beauty contest the damn things work great. Yes you have a 10 round magazine but considering the price point it's a bargain. And if you break it they fix it they don't care if you bought it yesterday or you're the 10th owner.

I've got some trade bait, I think I'll give the Hi Point a try if I can find it in the ATI stock. This is more for the wife than for me
Posted By: ebfc

Re: Let's talk 9mm carbines - 05/18/15 02:52 PM

Well if it's for your wife, the ugly stock does have a recoil system, actually works. My 6 foot one 19-year-old son complained that a Beretta storm kicked. It's a different kind a recoil being a blowback
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum