Texas Hunting Forum

Stock rifle actions

Posted By: BassCat'99

Stock rifle actions - 05/03/15 05:46 PM

Remington seems the most popular, but what other stock actions are preferred? Is certain actions better with some calibers, and if so, which do you like for what caliber?
Posted By: GLC

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/03/15 05:57 PM

Savage, just because it is so easy to customize and change barrels.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/03/15 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: GLC

Savage is great for a DIY and shoot very good to boot.

Tikka or Remington come in about the same. The tikka is more expensive initially but by the time the gunsmith gets the Remington up to par you will have spent the same or more money.
Posted By: dee

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/03/15 06:44 PM

One of my favorites is the FN made m70 actions.
Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/03/15 07:29 PM

Tc icon by a mile.
Posted By: NewJeep

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/03/15 09:06 PM

I like Win M70 actions

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/03/15 09:31 PM

Name another factory action that has these features.

Cnc machined
three integral recoil lugs
integral picatinny rails
3 lug 60 degree bolt
Interchangeable bolt handles
easy firing pin access
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/03/15 10:03 PM

6.5, is the Icon still in production? I've nothing but positive reviews but don't see it on their website. If no longer in production, was it just too expensive for the market?
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/03/15 10:04 PM

M70 actions have all the best features for a hunting rig.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/03/15 10:22 PM

Tried lots.

Have built a two customs off a Savages, sold one, and now have two customs built on Tikka actions.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/03/15 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Tried lots.

Have built a two customs off a Savages, sold one, and now have two customs built on Tikka actions.

Careful, the hi-rent will call those semi-customs. Lol

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/03/15 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Fitz
6.5, is the Icon still in production? I've nothing but positive reviews but don't see it on their website. If no longer in production, was it just too expensive for the market?

No, the Icon is no longer in production. When Smith and Wesson bought tc, they canceled the Icon.

I bought my 243 icon at bass pro for 500 bucks new. Best 500 dollar rifle I have ever shot.

Sure wish I could have snagged a 6.5 creedmoor icon when I had the chance.

Also, take a look at the Icon Warlord. They had a great recipe for a rifle there.

Added features to the Warlord over the standard Icon.

Integral 20moa rail
Manners t2a stock
hand lapped 5r barrel
AICS mags

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/03/15 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: wp75169
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Tried lots.

Careful, the hi-rent will call those semi-customs. Lol

I don't give a damn. I can afford about any action I want, and that's what I choose to use. We can show and tell on the range.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/04/15 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: GLC

Yup, built my 6.5 off a Savage action, very easy.

Might have to try Tikka though one of these days, I have not fired one but won't be long before I do.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/07/15 12:40 AM

Howa actions aren't shabby.
Posted By: 300_WizzM

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/07/15 01:36 AM

Here's another vote for the Tikka. I have a custom on a Rem700 action with the works done to it and I still prefer my Tikka. If I wasn't going to use a Tikka I would use the savage.
Posted By: westexhunt

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/07/15 03:14 AM

I keep selling other stuff and stacking up Savage centerfeeds. They just flat work, accurate, tough and modular. Will build more. I would have many times more money in any other action with no benefit.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/07/15 08:02 PM

Doesn't howa have some pain in the rear factor to it? i've heard gunsmiths hate them

WOW just looked at that Icon Warlord... that was a nice rig... 60 degree bolt, garentee 1/2 moa. But price tag of a full custom rifle...
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/07/15 11:15 PM

I like the TC icon too, to our ad them only one i know of that's for sale is a 30TC so I don't want it.

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/08/15 12:06 AM

Icons come up all the time on gunbroker. Still new icons usually sale around 7-800. Worth every penny.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/08/15 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua
Icons come up all the time on gunbroker. Still new icons usually sale around 7-800. Worth every penny.

True and worth the $, those rifles shoot as they came from TC.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/08/15 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: catslayer
Doesn't howa have some pain in the rear factor to it? i've heard gunsmiths hate them

WOW just looked at that Icon Warlord... that was a nice rig... 60 degree bolt, garentee 1/2 moa. But price tag of a full custom rifle...

The problem with Howa is removing the factory barrel. Easiest way is cutting a relief grove in the factory barrel which is kinda a pain and something a lot of smiths do not want to do.

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/08/15 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Originally Posted By: catslayer

The problem with Howa is removing the factory barrel. Easiest way is cutting a relief grove in the factory barrel which is kinda a pain and something a lot of smiths do not want to do.

Tikka has been letting the gorilla install barrels lately, as well. Same procedure is necessary.
Posted By: BIGDOG1956

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/08/15 02:02 PM

The savage is a do it your selfer's action. See utube videos for instructions.
You can't beat a 98 mauser or it's variants in my opinion.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/08/15 02:54 PM

You can argue this action or that action all you want. I don't really know, but to me it seems that the action has a relatively small impact on overall accuracy so long as it is correctly installed and bedded etc. I see more importance in the barrel and load.

No love fore remingtons on here. I guess they are just the most recent popular action/gun/company to hate. Never had a gripe with any of mine and for the number of cutom/semicustoms out there built on them they must not be all that bad.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/08/15 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
You can argue this action or that action all you want. I don't really know, but to me it seems that the action has a relatively small impact on overall accuracy so long as it is correctly installed and bedded etc. I see more importance in the barrel and load.

No love fore remingtons on here. I guess they are just the most recent popular action/gun/company to hate. Never had a gripe with any of mine and for the number of cutom/semicustoms out there built on them they must not be all that bad.
Problem I ran into with Remington was that most folks stick a Timney in immediately and their barrels didn't make sense to me (why put a 1:12 twist in a heavy-barrel 308?). So I was going to be out $400 on top of the price of the gun as soon as I got it, when the Savage only cost me $400 to start with and included a good barrel and trigger.

That being said, this is a great deal on a Remington 700 Varmint if you can handle the barrel twist. $400 minus a $50 rebate for a top-notch bolt action rifle.

Link
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Stock rifle actions - 05/08/15 07:01 PM

I think the whole trigger thing is a joke. None of mine have been replaced.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum