Texas Hunting Forum

trigger thoughts

Posted By: Arrowslinger82

trigger thoughts - 05/02/15 04:08 PM

anyone have experience with chip mccormick ar15 triggers? been calling around and trying to do some research. seems gissiele and mccormick are rising to the top. pros and cons either way?
Posted By: syncerus

Re: trigger thoughts - 05/02/15 04:14 PM

The two that you mentioned are both terrific. The McCormick triggers are slightly easier to install, but the difference is minor. I prefer the McCormick triggers for target / recreational shooting. In a self-defense weapon, I prefer the Geissele trigger. The preference is entirely due to the McCormick trigger assembly retention pins; they make installation easier, but they're one more thing that must be checked on a self-defense weapon.
Posted By: Anton Chigurh

Re: trigger thoughts - 05/02/15 04:15 PM

I've had both, sold the CMC to get another SSA-E. It really just depends on whether you want a single or two stage trigger. I like the two stage, but if you want a similar feel to most bolt guns you may like the single better.
Posted By: 7o8

Re: trigger thoughts - 05/02/15 10:16 PM

+1 on the SSA-E, had to get one for every rifle after get'n ruined by the first one.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: trigger thoughts - 05/02/15 10:27 PM

Love my CMC but I'm not a two stage trigger fan.
Posted By: 68A

Re: trigger thoughts - 05/02/15 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Love my CMC but I'm not a two stage trigger fan.

+1 I have the flat blade CMC
Posted By: Arrowslinger82

Re: trigger thoughts - 05/03/15 04:30 AM

ill probably sound like an idiot, but whats the purpose of a 2 stage trigger? whats the advantage?
Posted By: Cast

Re: trigger thoughts - 05/03/15 10:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Arrowslinger82
ill probably sound like an idiot, but whats the purpose of a 2 stage trigger? whats the advantage?

A two stage trigger (like the RR National Match) is a light weight trigger with a little take up before you feel the actual trigger weight. It's about tactil feedback. The total weight of the pull is the initial pull to take up the slack usually (1.5 or less) and the final pull weight to release the hammer. I shoot both single stage and double stage on my AR 15 and my 10/22's. You get used to it.
Posted By: booradley

Re: trigger thoughts - 05/07/15 12:44 AM

I like single stage triggers. Have Timney's in my AR and my son's. I need to check out the Chip McCormick.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: trigger thoughts - 05/07/15 01:58 AM

I like the CMC slightly better than the Timney and they are a Texas outfit.
There are some really nice options out there for AR triggers nowadays.
Hyper-Fire are very good.
Elftmann Tactical 3 Gun Trigger
Rise RA-535 trigger
BTE triggers
Posted By: themoonrulz

Re: trigger thoughts - 05/07/15 02:10 AM

Get a cmc and don't look back.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: trigger thoughts - 05/07/15 02:44 AM

Pretty sure OP already has the gun up for sale in the classifieds.
Posted By: RifleDude

Re: trigger thoughts - 05/07/15 05:34 PM

You should also consider the American Trigger Co "AR Gold." I have one, and it has the crispest, shortest reset pull I've ever experienced on an AR trigger. It has a very similar feel to a good 1911 trigger. I've installed and had ample trigger time behind CMC, Timney, Wilson, RRA, Geiselle, and Jewell triggers and I preferred the AR Gold over all of those. Some of the Geiselle triggers are on par with the AR Gold, but I still give the AR Gold the edge based on the fact it's a self-contained, drop in unit, has a shorter reset, and also has a secondary intercepting sear for additional drop safety. The downside -- it's pretty expensive compared to other premium AR triggers.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: trigger thoughts - 05/08/15 03:00 PM

I have ran all the high end ones..
Rifledude is right in that the ARGOld has the shortest reset.

My personal choice is the Wilson Combat singlestage, I order them at 3lbs and run them in all my ARs for consistency sake.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum